Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Biggest problem I had with ORC1 is I had to go to the bathroom for the last half of the test. By the end I didnt care and was marking quick. The test is pretty straightforward. I think it is right in line with the pre-assessment.

I'm almost positive it is in fact the pre-assessment. Maybe it was just me, but I'm positive I recognized the questions from the pre-assessment on the actual exam. Which is fine by me since the course is completely useless anyway along with the MGMT course.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    never2late wrote: »
    I did the online procter for INC and it was pretty straightforward. Never had an issue pointing the camera or angle. The test was a little long but got through it with a good score.
    Almost done with my Cisco CCNA and then the Javascript class next. Hope to end the semester on Jan 31 with 30 - 33 CU's. All depends how the CIW javascript goes whether I'll have time for the critical thinking class.

Let me know how the Javascript goes. I'm finishing up the 70-680 then ORC1/MGC1 after that is Javascript followed by site developmental class.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    I don't know how you guys are doing so well on the science class. I am struggling. I just took the preassessment and passed by about 10 points and I don't really feel confident with that.

Its a tough class. There is so much information on that test I dont think I could ace it if it was open book. If your scoring 10 above on the pre-assessment study the areas where you know you need help. You are going to be fine.

Thats one class I didnt go for an ace. Personally I want to know my core IT stuff in and out. As long as I know the general science stuff I am fine. I don't plan on doing that for my job or trying to teach it. It's important just not as important as core classes.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    BerryKix wrote: »
    I'm almost positive it is in fact the pre-assessment. Maybe it was just me, but I'm positive I recognized the questions from the pre-assessment on the actual exam. Which is fine by me since the course is completely useless anyway along with the MGMT course.

I agree. I know I saw a few questions before. I just wasnt sure if it was in the modules or the pre-assessment.

• Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    never2late wrote: »
    I did the online procter for INC and it was pretty straightforward. Never had an issue pointing the camera or angle. The test was a little long but got through it with a good score.
    Almost done with my Cisco CCNA and then the Javascript class next. Hope to end the semester on Jan 31 with 30 - 33 CU's. All depends how the CIW javascript goes whether I'll have time for the critical thinking class.

Javascript is my next one after ORC1. Do you use only the CIW book that school sent you? I'm thinking of getting another book that's easier to read. I read about 3 chapters, it's kind of boring.
  • Options
    I agree. I know I saw a few questions before. I just wasnt sure if it was in the modules or the pre-assessment.

So I'd assume it's all multiple choice questions, right? Somehow I thought there is going to be a fill in blank or something cuz of typing test.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    simtech wrote: »
    Javascript is my next one after ORC1. Do you use only the CIW book that school sent you? I'm thinking of getting another book that's easier to read. I read about 3 chapters, it's kind of boring.

Snag yourself the Kindle edition of Javascript Demystified. You might find it helpful.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the CIW book, the study guide from MCMCSE.com, and the tutorials they recommend you do. The study guide probably helped me the most. The test was pretty easy and if I'd have known what it was like wouldn't have bothered doing all the labs (writing scripts) but I did learn some neat stuff.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    So I'd assume it's all multiple choice questions, right? Somehow I thought there is going to be a fill in blank or something cuz of typing test.
    yes all multiple choice. I think the typing test is to verify its you.

• Options
    BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The questions on the exam are definitely from the pre-assessment because that's the only thing I took. I didn't even look at anything else, just went in and took the test. You only need a 51% to pass it too.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks, guys.
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    earweed wrote: »
    Every masters program I've inquired about (none of the Ivy league or really hard to get into schools) and once they find out WGU is accreditted there is never any other question if I can get in except those that require me to take a test and pass, those schools wont accept you from a non accreditted school period and then you still have to make their cutoff score on a test. The only question about WGU is about is it accreditted and theanswer is YES.

That's my biggest concern, as I want to knock out my BA ASAP, so I can focus on a Masters, at a traditional school that I've always wanted to attend, but for my BA it would be prohibitive. I'm hoping to parlay my BA for a job with better benes, to either get my MBA, or a Masters in teaching. Unfortunately, online education still has a stigma to it, unless its from a traditional school. But I also remember online dating having an even bigger stigma, and now its all over the place.
  • Options
    I buy most of mine from amazon. Or some of the many book renting sites. But I have found out that buying used from Amazon then reselling them back I can get them almost free.

Chegg has never failed me when renting during my traditional uni days.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's my biggest concern, as I want to knock out my BA ASAP, so I can focus on a Masters, at a traditional school that I've always wanted to attend, but for my BA it would be prohibitive. I'm hoping to parlay my BA for a job with better benes, to either get my MBA, or a Masters in teaching. Unfortunately, online education still has a stigma to it, unless its from a traditional school. But I also remember online dating having an even bigger stigma, and now its all over the place.

That is one of the most interesting comparisons I have seen in a while icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can read more about my experience with this cert here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/project/60926-erpadmin-now-project-certified-lessons-learned.html

(I didn't want to double post...but I do want to continue documenting my experiences at WGU here...because if not for WGU, I would have never found the need to get this cert [would rather have the PMP].)
  • Options
    That is one of the most interesting comparisons I have seen in a while icon_lol.gif

Can you guess where/how I met my wife back in 1999? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a question regarding proctoring. Has any one used the education center at any military base in the U.S.? My wife is in the Air Force and I currently have access to the education center and according to WGU the education center here is available for proctoring. I kind of want to know if they'd be as strict as like an official pearson vue testing vendor type place.
  • Options

It isn't even a question of whether WGU will get you in the school you want to attend...(I am already sure I can thanks to the regional accreditation WGU has).

The question now is what program are you going to do that has the least amount of crap to do to get in. Rutgers MBA program, for example, requires Calculus and Stats. The Stats, of course, is covered, but Calculus will either have to be done via some online course (Zoologic) or at a community college that offers it. OR...I'll have to take it with them as almost a remedial course of some sort. Not to mention doing the GRE (or GMAT, it escapes me at the moment).

It is something I'll have to consider when I cross that bridge. I hate math...so Calculus would have that feeling magnified by 10. I also will not mind doing it offline, but it has to be close enough to work...Rutgers (or NJIT) fits that bill. Otherwise, I could do online, but it will have to be B&M (and AACSB-accredited).

It's just other stuff to consider.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It isn't even a question of whether WGU will get you in the school you want to attend...(I am already sure I can thanks to the regional accreditation WGU has).

The question now is what program are you going to do that has the least amount of crap to do to get in. Rutgers MBA program, for example, requires Calculus and Stats. The Stats, of course, is covered, but Calculus will either have to be done via some online course (Zoologic) or at a community college that offers it. OR...I'll have to take it with them as almost a remedial course of some sort. Not to mention doing the GRE (or GMAT, it escapes me at the moment).

It is something I'll have to consider when I cross that bridge. I hate math...so Calculus would have that feeling magnified by 10. I also will not mind doing it offline, but it has to be close enough to work...Rutgers (or NJIT) fits that bill. Otherwise, I could do online, but it will have to be B&M (and AACSB-accredited).

It's just other stuff to consider.

I'm hoping to get into DePaul for an MBA, after I finish with WGU. Either an MBA in Entrepreneurship, or Teaching. I'd be thrilled to get into either one. But I first need to finish my BA. I'm doing either Sec or Net Design, gotta make up my mind soon, as classes start in Jan. I'll have to see the admission reqs are for either of the programs at DePaul, so that I can take any additional classes to bolster my application.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get into DePaul for an MBA, after I finish with WGU. Either an MBA in Entrepreneurship, or Teaching. I'd be thrilled to get into either one. But I first need to finish my BA. I'm doing either Sec or Net Design, gotta make up my mind soon, as classes start in Jan. I'll have to see the admission reqs are for either of the programs at DePaul, so that I can take any additional classes to bolster my application.

DePaul is a very nice school...I myself had dreams of Seton Hall (dreams, because reality dictates that I can't afford it...even if I lived like a miser for 5-10 years...lol).

I did look at DePaul's requirements, just cause I was curious, and you have a good shot if you score a decent GMAT score (they have a bunch of stuff to help prep for that...whether it's self-study, or something like Kaplan).

ADMISSION & AID: Graduate Student
    ADMISSION & AID: Graduate Student

(Again, I was just curious what the requirements were myself. No doubt you were going to find this yourself. :) )

The first thing that's stated is that your degree has to be regionally accredited. :) Sounds like you'll be in fine shape if/when you start.

As for what you want to do in WGU (Security/NDM), weigh carefully the requirements for each. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *walks in angry*

Who here HATES Taskstream? A week and a half and I still don't have a score on a 5 paragraph essay. icon_sad.gif

*walks out angry and goes back to studying*

Taskstream so far has bene generally good for myself. I've used it for LAT1 and if I submitted a task say at like 11am PST it would be graded by 11am the next day. I'm currently doing INT1 and the first two tasks took them 3 days to grade, but I submitted them at the same time. I don't think there is any requirement to submit in order and wait to do next task. Also, the people grading have been pretty lenient for me. My LAT1 tasks I completed were excellent, but what I've submitted for INT I kind of just threw together and didn't look very well but it passed.
  • Options
    Taskstream... Ahh... Well I've written a few posts about it. The biggest problem I have with it is that there is no one person grading things. It just gets sent to where ever (and good luck finding out where that is) and some random person grades it. Now the problem with that is it introduces the fact that each person can interpret the rubrics differently. One may pass it while the other doesn't. There has been cases where a person has resubmitted the same paper only to have it pass the 2nd time. I've taken time writing papers only to get a low, but passing, score. But lately I've said screw it and threw together pages of pointless filler. What did I get for a score? Perfect 4's!!! I take the process of writing the papers as a learning experience and the final outcome I could care less about, I learned what I could by researching, reading, and understanding the topic - how I put that into a paper I couldn't care less about.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *walks in angry*

Who here HATES Taskstream? A week and a half and I still don't have a score on a 5 paragraph essay. icon_sad.gif

*walks out angry and goes back to studying*

If they go past five days, get with your mentor stat.

My LET1 papers have been taking an average of two days to grade. The first three were not my most phenomenal work but I'm glad they're done (and one nearly got a 4). The last one is taking more time and energy, and is actually getting some finesse work in the process. I'd probably be upset momentarily if it doesn't get a 4, but I'd cool down quickly and remember I should be happy it's done.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    If it takes more than 36 hour contact student services. They are a lot quicker with Taskstream issues than your mentor. My social science paper was at the 36 hour mark, sent an email to student services - it was graded less than a hour later. Sometimes they get lost. Towards the middle of the month is the hardest as student who are in then in their 6 month are rushing to turn everything in. First and last few days of the month are the best for turning things and getting a quick turn around. You can turn in multiple tasks even if one hasn't been graded yet.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone else having trouble with QLC1? It gave me a hard punch in the gut yesterday.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Enrollment counselors are tools. (At least the one I dealt with was...) Most of them seem to be the same way.

I talked to my enrollment counselor twice, the initial 'hey' I'm your enrollment counselor and 'hey' you're starting EWB today. He tried contacting me several times between that, but he didn't understand the concept that I do not have my cell phone during the day and I wanted him to call me at work. Did he call me at work? No, he continued to call my cell. I would call him back telling hey I got your message call me back at my work tommorow. No phone call at work, but he did call my cell again.

The guy never answered my emails either, but it's fine my mentor is alright I guess. He calls me every Monday at 7am at my work to get in touch with me. The only thing he's bad at is answering emails (I emailed him one day after we had our Monday conversation and the following Monday I was like hey you didn't respond to my email I sent you and his response was oh I haven't checked my emails today....), but I only had two questions and I don't really need to contact him. The program is pretty independent, so communication with the school isn't that necessary.

I have taken classes with University of Phoenix and I have to say WGU's assignments are slightly harder than UoP but that's not saying much. The tasks are pretty easy so far (I've only passed LAT and passed first two tasks of INT) and I don't expect other classes to be much more difficult. I'm pretty much only worried about the programming classes.
  • Options
    If it takes more than 36 hour contact student services. They are a lot quicker with Taskstream issues than your mentor. My social science paper was at the 36 hour mark, sent an email to student services - it was graded less than a hour later. Sometimes they get lost. Towards the middle of the month is the hardest as student who are in then in their 6 month are rushing to turn everything in. First and last few days of the month are the best for turning things and getting a quick turn around. You can turn in multiple tasks even if one hasn't been graded yet.

All good-- except I thought written policy was TaskStream has five days to turn around the assignments??
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    All good-- except I thought written policy was TaskStream has five days to turn around the assignments??

Performance Assessments:
    If the assessment is in TaskStream, your assignment should be graded in five days. If it is not, please contact your mentor. Article # 1090 Reviewed:
    2/15/2007

I am hoping stuff changed in three years...I'm inclined to go with themagicone that three days is about as long as anyone should wait for a grade...not five days.

However, the handbook currently states five days, like you said.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I've found it really depends on the course as far as Taskstream times. LAT1 most of my grades came back in less than 24 hours, but they grade more on writing skills, so I think they have a larger number or graders. LET1 the times averaged more like 3-4 days, but you are not so much graded on your writing skills, but more on you understanding of leadership and the questions asked, more specialized less graders I would guess. INT1 would probably fall into the same category as LET1 it is more specialized and there are probably fewer graders. It probably averaged 3-4 days for me and my experiment took almost 5. I did kind of laugh at myself with one of my INT1 powerpoint presentations where I copied a reference in twice accidentally and still got a 4 on the APA guidelines part. Now in LAT1 I know they would have gone over that with a fine tooth comb.

I was pretty frustrated at first seeing an occasional 2 or 3 on some of the areas like themagicone, but at this point I just don't really care and am just glad to be done with it.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I have had really good luck with Taskstream. Out of all my courses the longest I had to wait was 3 days and that has only happened twice. I believe it depends how many couse experts they have for a particular field. My english classes came back fast, science was alot slower.

I suggest getting the course mentor to check. The have access to see where you are in the que. I just send them a NICE note to see if they can check where I am at. If your nice about it they have no problems taking a look for you. Dont forget according to Taskstream the first day you submit is DAY 0 just like a hard drive or an array :) . Add that to your math if you think they are taking too long.