college assignment - harvard referencing

rentaghostrentaghost Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anybody help with a question on harvard referencing in a technical assignment.

If one wants to quote a phrase that a college lecturer used in a lecture how is it best done. To add confusion, the origin of the quote the lecturer used is unknown.

Heres an example of the type of thing I am on about
--snip from main body text--
It could be argued that "the internet is an extension of the human race" (cited by Smith, 2005)

references
Smith, Alan (2005) Lecturer for Fulchester College, source of original quotation unknown

Ive found loads of harvard referencing guides but none seem to answer this specific question.

Comments

• pretty_boypretty_boy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if the time the quote originated is unknown than how would you know he/she said it to begin with?
  • 12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rentaghost wrote:
    Can anybody help with a question on harvard referencing in a technical assignment.

If one wants to quote a phrase that a college lecturer used in a lecture how is it best done. To add confusion, the origin of the quote the lecturer used is unknown.

Heres an example of the type of thing I am on about
    --snip from main body text--
    It could be argued that "the internet is an extension of the human race" (cited by Smith, 2005)

references
    Smith, Alan (2005) Lecturer for Fulchester College, source of original quotation unknown

Ive found loads of harvard referencing guides but none seem to answer this specific question.

try this:

Study notes and books of readings

Study notes should be listed in the same manner as a book.

Austin, L 2004, ECE 1001 Child studies I: introductory book, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba.

When the author's name is unknown.

ACC 5003 NIA advanced financial accounting: study book 2004, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba.

========================

Lecture notes
    Format:

Author(s). Year of presentation, Lecture Title, lecture notes distributed in the unit at the name of the teaching organisation, the location and the date

Foster, T. 2004, Balance sheets, lecture notes distributed in Financial Accounting 101 at the University of Western Australia, Crawley on 2 November 2004.

Hope that helps, Both examples above are from the Harvard style.
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Maybe a bit late in this thread, but...

wow, what a pain in the arse you have there. I would drop it from your paper, Harvard style is really strict. It could be done easily in MLA and APA, but I cant nail it down in Harvard reference. To many unknowns. You are working with an indirect source with an anonymous work with no title.

If you knew the name of of the unpublished or published lecture you could use it, but since its an indirect quote and you cannot find the authors name, or the name of the title you might have a hard time making that one fly.

Whenever I came accross something I couldnt quote properly I just dropped it, no matter how good it was. Properly citing references can bust your paper.

To bad, thats a great quote.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    TeKniques wrote:
    Well if the time the quote originated is unknown than how would you know he/she said it to begin with?

Thats exactly correct, it certainly doesnt fall in the realm of common knowledge or a commonly known quote, so it must be properly cited as fully as possible, and since you have no way possible to verify its original existence, it will probably hurt you, unless you have a cool prof, I never did, mine were all hard arses.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p