Confused

HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
Planning on going the MCITP:SA route. However I am a little lost, I intended to do the 70-680 for the Win 7 MCTS but it is just boring me to sleep. Really wanted to change things up a bit and maybe try something else. Would the 70-640 or one of the others be suggested? I've never had any hands on experience with Server 08 and just want something to give me a really good grounding with it. Any suggestions on material or a good starting point? Thanks.
WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Planning on going the MCITP:SA route. However I am a little lost, I intended to do the 70-680 for the Win 7 MCTS but it is just boring me to sleep. Really wanted to change things up a bit and maybe try something else. Would the 70-640 or one of the others be suggested? I've never had any hands on experience with Server 08 and just want something to give me a really good grounding with it. Any suggestions on material or a good starting point? Thanks.

I've heard the following:

If you have solid network skills, you might be able to get away with starting with the 70-642 as it is most likely more related to your previous studies.

70-640 is straight up active directory and just about every post I've seen for MS admin lists it as a requirement. You might want to start there first to get a feel for GPOs, how AD helps define your user base, etc.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've heard the following:

If you have solid network skills, you might be able to get away with starting with the 70-642 as it is most likely more related to your previous studies.

70-640 is straight up active directory and just about every post I've seen for MS admin lists it as a requirement. You might want to start there first to get a feel for GPOs, how AD helps define your user base, etc.

Yeah i've looked at the 70-642 and it looks like a more MS centric version of Net+. Hopefully one of my job offers comes through, looking at the start of the 70-640 book and it's requirements for up to 7 VMs i'm going to need a bit more RAM to handle that.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    After doing a little bit more research and discovering that Darril Gibson has a 70-646 book available I may go that route. Just looking it over it seems to start out with how you would use Server 08 and how to configure and set things up in general. I think once I get a firm grip on that picking up AD would come a bit quicker. I just need to give myself a swift kick in the pants and start in on this stuff sooner rather than later.