Options

Getting an external HDD for my toolkit

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Few questions:
1) What's a good, easy to use, preferrably free backup utility to have on the HDD for backing up clients system data?
2.What are some good, easy to use utilities to put on the HDD (preferrably free)
3. Any other advice on things I dhould have on HDD.

NOTE: Just a 350 GB so can't put a lot of stuff on it. I already have an external DVD and a good collection of cds to use with it (UBCD, Hirens, and a collection of OS's)
Also does anyone know where I can download ISOs of OEM versions of XP, Vista, and 7 so I can have my own discs for reimaging.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Windows backup? Copy / paste?
    2. CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyboot, Combofix, AVG. Latest OS service packs.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    earweed wrote: »
    Few questions:
    1) What's a good, easy to use, preferrably free backup utility to have on the HDD for backing up clients system data?
    2.What are some good, easy to use utilities to put on the HDD (preferrably free)
    3. Any other advice on things I dhould have on HDD.

NOTE: Just a 350 GB so can't put a lot of stuff on it. I already have an external DVD and a good collection of cds to use with it (UBCD, Hirens, and a collection of OS's)
    Also does anyone know where I can download ISOs of OEM versions of XP, Vista, and 7 so I can have my own discs for reimaging.

You can just make them with IMGBURN. Otherwise, unless Microsoft Technet offers that....I believe it's illegal to just download them anywhere.

Although I think you can still get Windows 7 Enterprise (90day trial.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    I've got most of the good tools on DVD already (UBCD, Hirens, WinPE)
    My big thing is a backup program I can put on the HDD so I can do a backup before a reimage (Hopefully free and easy to use. AKA GUI based not cli) right now I just back up to a DVD before doing a reimage.
    The reason I want a collection of mainly Windows OSs is that I'va had quite a few people who didn't keep up with their DVD that they got either with the computer or when the OS was installed. Several people I've dealt with have gotten used computers with XP OEM installed and the people they bought them from didn't supply a DVD.

It's not illegal, technically, to get the OS from one of "those sites" but it does violate copyrights and I'm trying to avoid "those sites" anyway.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,027 Admin
    You would need an actual paid subscription to Microsoft TechNet or Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN) to legally use the Microsoft OS ISOs. They are very handy to have, especially when you pre-load them on to thumb drives and VMs.

Google for the MS EULAs
  • Options
    Figured that was the case. I have MSDN but that only gives me XP Pro (retail) and Vista Business , and windows 7 pro (32 and 64 bit)
    I was hoping there would be a place to legally get them as I don't use torrents and other questionable sources.
  • Options
    I was hoping there would be a place to legally get them as I don't use torrents and other questionable sources.
    You can always image your own licensed Microsoft media, but you will still need one license per installation for production systems. The MSDN licensed OSes are only for software development systems.
  • Options
    I mainly want them for people who have OEM OS's who have either lost or damaged their media or never obtained a CD. I've had a few friends who bought used PCs off eBay/Amazon that didn't include the media. I would still use the code they have on their machines if that'll work.
  • Options
    Then you should contact the manufactures of the PCs and check if you can get images of the genuine OEM OS restoration CDs.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Then you should contact the manufactures of the PCs and check if you can get images of the genuine OEM OS restoration CDs.

Also this could cost anywhere from free to up to $25. And get to you in anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I I've had a few friends who bought used PCs off eBay/Amazon that didn't include the media. I would still use the code they have on their machines if that'll work.

I am not sure of Apples rule with OSX but Microsoft has stated for years that an OS license is not transferable. If you sell a PC used then the license does not transfer with the purchase. This caused tons of grief for non-profits that refurbished donated PC for the computer challenged of the world.

I believe that at one time MS offered discounted licenses for this situation but to my knowledge they never backed off their stance that if the hardware changed hands then the license was invalid. Same goes if you change your motherboard in your own system; one of their stupid hair splitting rules was the license went hand in hand with the motherboard.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO