Retirement date: March 31, 2011 // What is that?

ramytaramyta Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was looking at the CompTIA website for project+ cert and it said Retirement date: March 31, 2011... Can someone please tell me what they mean.... Will they stop offering this cetificate, or would it become invalid after that date.. I am confused. I searched the thread on this topic and could not find a comment about. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The old exam (2003 objectives) is being retired on March 31, 2011. The most recent exam (2009 objectives) is not retiring anytime soon.
    *At least I hope not.*
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's just as easy (or difficult) to go for the newer exams as it is for the older one. The older exam seemed very difficult according to the WGU thread I've seen with those passing...5-25 points above minimum pass.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It's just as easy (or difficult) to go for the newer exams as it is for the older one. The older exam seemed very difficult according to the WGU thread I've seen with those passing...5-25 points above minimum pass.

I think that it may be difficult because people attending WGU have to take it and the topic isn't what a lot of people "gear up" for. All of my certs so far I wanted to take, but doing the project+ is something I have to force myself to take just for WGU.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Geronimo wrote: »
    The old exam (2003 objectives) is being retired on March 31, 2011. The most recent exam (2009 objectives) is not retiring anytime soon.
    *At least I hope not.*

Like Geronimo said, every couple years they take a look at the objectives and decide if they are on par with where the should be. They then update the objectives, and then update the test with a new version. They announce a retirement date (giving you time to complete that test had you already started on it) and after that, it is gone.

With the technical courses (A+, Net+, Security+) this happens about every 3 years. Project+ apparently got away with 6. Likely because the concepts change much slower.

If you already have books/materials for the 2003 exam and aren't worried to be on a 3 and a half month timeline, then go for it. If you haven't started anything yet, or are nervous about finishing before that date, then go 2009. Either exam will basically grant you the same piece of paper.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Project+ test horrible. We had 3 people take it. None of us felt good about exam.
    Poor materials available for study. Was call IT Project+ when I took it.

I think 3 points was the best any of passed the test by. We all passed the first time, but barely.
  • ramytaramyta Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now I get it.. Thank you all for the info!! I did not start on it yet, so all I have to do is decide on which one is easier for me and go for it!!! I think its great that they provide that option.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ramyta wrote: »
    Now I get it.. Thank you all for the info!! I did not start on it yet, so all I have to do is decide on which one is easier for me and go for it!!! I think its great that they provide that option.

If you don't have materials for the 2003 objectives, it seriously may behoove you to get the PK0-003 Sybex guide and just go straight to the 2009 objectives. The exam really wasn't that impossible to pass. Wasn't easy, but if you are able to grasp the material in the Sybex guide, those extra 20 questions can't and won't hurt. As opposed to the 2003 objectives, the lower pass rate might be a bit deceptive (based on others' experiences).
  • TNT143TNT143 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CompTIA website says there's 'objectives' for 2009 out, you can get them emailed to you... doesn't 'seem' that the entire exam will be retired.
    WIP
    Project+
    MS: Info. Sys Mgt/Info Security

:thumbup: Achieved
    Security+
    ITIL Foundations v3