MCSA thinking about Sec specialization

khagan1khagan1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Evening all,

I have my MCSA 2003 and just passed my Sec+ today.

Now I'm thinking about getting the security specialization by writing 70-299.

Wondering if anyone else has followed this path - am I in decent shape having 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 and now Sec+? (I also have A+ and Net+)

Also looking for recommendations for study material.

So far I have looked at the MS Press book, the Sybex book, and Brian Komar's Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 PKI and Certificate Security book.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you are doing it for fun, go for it. Couldn't hurt. I found the 298/299 material to be the most fun in the series. And in many ways, easier. I understand you need to take a 70-699 exam too though?

On the other hand, if your goal is to boost your employability faster you might want to just finish the MCSE first then go back and add it on. That is what I did.
    -Daniel
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    If you are doing it for fun, go for it. Couldn't hurt. I found the 298/299 material to be the most fun in the series. And in many ways, easier. I understand you need to take a 70-699 exam too though?

On the other hand, if your goal is to boost your employability faster you might want to just finish the MCSE first then go back and add it on. That is what I did.

Unless they changed it, I thought the 699 was only to stay "current" with MS Security? I think all he needs it the 298/299 to finish this off. I def agree with you Dan; it definitely can't hurt to add a specialization.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    70-299 for MCSA:S

or

70-293, 70-294, 70-298 (which is the same info as the 70-299), and 70-299 for MCSE:S

I decided option 2.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As an MCSA/MCSE Security holder I think the specialization was both fun and educational. I learned a lot that has come in handy. HOWEVER! Just like the Sec+, unless you are going for DoD or some other sort of Gov jobs, don't expect the specialization to do that much for you. I've never had it commented upon directly - everyone sees teh MCSE and that seems to be all they are interested in.

So do this for your self, more than an expectation that it is going to provide you with a leg up in your job search.
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I'd recommend Option 2 as well. Certificates, PKI, more RRAS, more Group Policy, and some of the key concepts from the 293 and 294 carry over to the 299. The 298 and 299 are also very similar.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The route I went was 270>290>291>299. Then I went and did the 293>294>298. Many ways to do it.