A+ certified! & my regimen

pbankeypbankey Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey folks! A+ is officially out of the way for me like many others. I took Essentials on the 2nd, and PA today.

220-701: 871
220-702: 900 (I was SO shocked to see that score!)

I wanted to let everyone know who is thinking about taking this that it is absolutely do-able on your own, but you need to study regularly for it. My plan of attack was using the ExamCram for A+ (this one was delightful though I am not sure what the general opinions are about it), Professor Messer's A+ training videos, and MANY practice exams. These included the ones with the ExamCram, the free Preplogic (which was a LOT harder than the actual test), the MCMCSE.com ones, and the Mike Meyers All-in-one tests -- I didn't read the Mike Meyers guide though.

I found that practical applications was not as scary as I thought it would be. The reason is that there is a ton of overlap from essentials and there was actually a lot of repetitive questions. Just to give you a little bit of my experience, I am a computer enthusiast and though I've swapped components and built a computer before, I don't have real IT experience. That being said, I'm confident that just about anyone can pass this if they really decide they want to.

Making a checklist with the exam objectives definitely helped as well. In general, it's a relief to have this past me now and I'm going to wait a bit and see what happens next for me. I have a final interview for a job tomorrow with an IT company (for a marketing role) so maybe I can snag that as well!

Thanks to everyone in this forum! Everyone's guidance to others has been amazing and it has helped and motivate me to get serious about this test.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pbankey wrote: »
    Hey folks! A+ is officially out of the way for me like many others. I took Essentials on the 2nd, and PA today.

220-701: 871
    220-702: 900 (I was SO shocked to see that score!)

I wanted to let everyone know who is thinking about taking this that it is absolutely do-able on your own, but you need to study regularly for it. My plan of attack was using the ExamCram for A+ (this one was delightful though I am not sure what the general opinions are about it), Professor Messer's A+ training videos, and MANY practice exams. These included the ones with the ExamCram, the free Preplogic (which was a LOT harder than the actual test), the MCMCSE.com ones, and the Mike Meyers All-in-one tests -- I didn't read the Mike Meyers guide though.

I found that practical applications was not as scary as I thought it would be. The reason is that there is a ton of overlap from essentials and there was actually a lot of repetitive questions. Just to give you a little bit of my experience, I am a computer enthusiast and though I've swapped components and built a computer before, I don't have real IT experience. That being said, I'm confident that just about anyone can pass this if they really decide they want to.

Making a checklist with the exam objectives definitely helped as well. In general, it's a relief to have this past me now and I'm going to wait a bit and see what happens next for me. I have a final interview for a job tomorrow with an IT company (for a marketing role) so maybe I can snag that as well!

Thanks to everyone in this forum! Everyone's guidance to others has been amazing and it has helped and motivate me to get serious about this test.

Thanks for the write up. Great stuff man!

And gratz on the new certification and I hope you get the gig!
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Man, am i the only person that thought the 702 was harder???
    Congrats on your pass, and good luck tomorrow.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□

No, but I scored better on 702 than 701. I hope getting the A+ helps you out with your interview. Good Luck!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the scores and the new cert!
    Best wishes for you in the interview.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

I thought it was, and my score showed it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think if you actually are employed in IT and do that kind of work every single day it should be about the same.

Hopefully my testing center isn't closed it sleeted last night :/
  • thorshammerthorshammer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I thought it was, and my score showed it

Mine as well, but not too badly, just a few points. I had many more "best guesses" on 702 and sweated the few seconds wait for the score to be displayed at the end much more as well. Fortunately, most of my best guesses must have turned out correct. I only wish they gave you a detailed report of which questions you got wrong, and what the correct answer was. Oh well, just have to be satisfied with being certified I guess. :)