ROUTE was tough, too tough :(

mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
Well today was the day I got in the ring with ROUTE and unfortunately I didn't come out on top.

What can I say? I simply ran out of time icon_sad.gif

My third or forth question was a Sim and it just through me off balance, I spent 30 mins on that 1st sim and I knew then it was going to be tough to make up the time. I set myself a target of 10 minutes per sim, but that went out the window today

1 hour in, 27 questions down, not looking too bad.

The last 40 minutes however were just a nightmare. I got more sims in the last 30 minutes than I had got in the last 90! I couldn't think straight due to the pressure and subsequently I couldn't get the sims sorted, some I simply skipped as I knew I didn't have time to read the scenario let alone do any config. I just bit the bullet and ran through the multiple choice questions as quick as possible. I knew I had failed.

I answered the final question with 23 seconds on the clock. The 'We regret...' message came as no surprise.

I actually found the multiple choice questions fairly straightforward and not too difficult. I can honestly say that after 3 months of study there wasn't anything in there which I didn't expect to see. However, the sims and the time pressure made it very difficult.

Final score: 622 - which considering I skipped at least one sim entirely and 50% of another, I don't think is too bad. If I can get the sims sorted I should be ok.

Looks like I need to find another test centre as the one I used today is also closing. I must be bad luck for test centres as the last two I have used have both closed down!

On to Christmas, then I'm going beat the crap out of ROUTE and make it pay!!!!

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that Mattrgee... you've put in so much work with the INE (nightmare) and other study materials. Best of luck to you on your next go at it... you'll knock it out! icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Better luck next time man.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear that buddy. If you see the positives in your failure, for instance you know what were your weak areas, this is not a total failure, but a stepping stone for success.

I am not sure if the new CCNP route books, offer Boson exam simulators, is not then i would recommend purchasing that to practice the exam questions and exam simulations from the test.

Best of luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mattrgee wrote: »
    I'm going beat the crap out of ROUTE and make it pay!!!!
    Now I'll have the theme from Rocky running through my head for the rest of the day -- and I want roast beef for dinner icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mathelizemathelize Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear this. I was lucky to pass the BSCI on 31st July. Time isn't always your friend with this exam. Better luck, next time.
    In my Lab
    I have access to any cisco equipment I need
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Seems like nerves got more in your way than lack of knowledge. You'll get it next time for sure. You were close!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm glad I live in the states - if you were over here and closing down all our test sites I'd have to drive a long long way to take a cert test

:)

I always fail Cisco tests the first time around, when I take Route I think I'll ask Cisco if I can just pay double and take the test twice in one day just to get it over with.

Good luck with the next round, Rocky

Yo Adrian, the Phillies just got Cliff Lee

;)
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have had similar experiences with my Cisco exams. It's like the second time through you know what you are in for. You pretty much have to buy your exams (take one, fail. Take again, pass) due to the sims.

Sounds like you got this one nailed next time around. 1 sim would have brought you into the passing range.
    -Daniel
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    How much labbing did you do before this? It's definitely the key for the CCNP exams I found. If you've done a lot then its just a better luck next time, if you've done sparse amounts then spend a month doing that intensively, and you'll get it
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    stuh84 wrote: »
    How much labbing did you do before this? It's definitely the key for the CCNP exams I found. If you've done a lot then its just a better luck next time, if you've done sparse amounts then spend a month doing that intensively, and you'll get it

I did all the labs in the Cisco ROUTE Lab Manual at least once and repeated the ones I felt I was weak in. In hindsight, while using the lab manual is good as it ensures you cover all the topics, it doesn't require you to do that much problem solving as you are being spoon fed the answers.
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Thanks for the kind words btw. I just want to have another crack at it now!