last man standing 2010?

so who's getting the last certification of the year? I had Security+ scheduled for the 22nd, but I moved it up to the 17th... no more tests for me until 2011...

who's got exams scheduled before 1/1/11?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I have 1/8/2011
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've got a friend that I've been tutoring for the past few months who wanted to do A+, Network+, and Security+ before the end of the year. He's got Security+ scheduled for 3pm on December 31st, so I'm fairly sure he's going to be one of the last few people doing exams this year.

As for me, I'm far too lazy to do anything else over the holidays. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    12/23 Sec+

studying as i type this
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    12/10 Project+

That's the last certification of the year. Definite certs for next year will be CIW Javascript and MCITP:EA (at least a few MCTSes). If it can be swung, I want to do the MCITP:SA and MS Database Administrator 2008. By then, I should be comfortable with the way Microsoft does their things, and I am done with the CompTIAs for good. (I don't anticipate DoD 8570ing anytime in the near or longterm future).
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I'm retaking the 70-299 on the 23rd, and the 70-298 on the 27th.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ICND2 20/DEC2010 - retake
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    ICND2 20/DEC2010 - retake

Good Luck! My test crashed on Q40/50 and I have a voucher for re-take.

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    70-680 on 12/23
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    I'm retaking the 70-299 on the 23rd, and the 70-298 on the 27th.

You got this. It'll be a great New years present to be MCSE/MCSA:Sec!
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I've got the 70-290 on 1/3/11.....would be this month if all you last minute Comptia folk weren't filling up my testing center icon_lol.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm looking to start studying either the MCDST or the MCSA sometime in January. For me the MCDST wouldn't be to bad since I have several years of experience troubleshooting XP OS and the applications like IE and Office.

My dilemma is the ROI on the MCDST. Even though it's less test a lot of the material I already know, obviously I will have to fill in the gaps, which is a good thing.

So that's my plans.

Currently I am reading a Excel power user book/training video and reading a small 300 page read about Six Sigma.
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    You got this. It'll be a great New years present to be MCSE/MCSA:Sec!

Thanks man. I'm pretty confident on the 298 but not the 299. I hope I get friendlier questions on the 299. Good luck in your studies this year!
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    Thanks man. I'm pretty confident on the 298 but not the 299. I hope I get friendlier questions on the 299. Good luck in your studies this year!

That would be an excited way to finish out the year!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm looking to start studying either the MCDST or the MCSA sometime in January. For me the MCDST wouldn't be to bad since I have several years of experience troubleshooting XP OS and the applications like IE and Office.

My dilemma is the ROI on the MCDST. Even though it's less test a lot of the material I already know, obviously I will have to fill in the gaps, which is a good thing.

what are you going to use for the MCDST? I'm leaning towards the Sybex Deluxe hardcover book, and maybe Skillport, and i will give Microsoft's E-Learning a shot...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I have 1/8/2011

my son's birthday
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    my son's birthday

Haha awesome. Hopefully he has a great birthday and when he makes a wish and blows out his candles hopefully he wishes for some random stranger on the interwebz to pass his exam :D

• bytenbyten Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have my Net+ scheduled on 12/30/2010 .... I sure hope that day is clear weather....

Certifications: CEH, Security+, Network+
    Certification Goals CISSP

"The first principle is that you cannot fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman
    what are you going to use for the MCDST? I'm leaning towards the Sybex Deluxe hardcover book, and maybe Skillport, and i will give Microsoft's E-Learning a shot...

I have the MS Press 271 and 272 from like 3 years ago lol
  • scalpelrushscalpelrush Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SBS 2008, exam 70-653, Thursday, December 30, 2010
    Courses Required to Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM: BVC1.
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, CLC1, BBC1, BAC1 | GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 | ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, SSC1, IWC1, INC1 | INT1, IWT1, LET1, TWA1, CPW3
    Courses Transferred: AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1.

yeah, I had my Security+ scheduled for the 22nd, and I bumped it up to the 17th.... part of it being the fear of weather messing up the 22nd, and part just wanting to get it over with
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my Sec+ Scheduled on the 25th of this month .

Wish me luck ppl and Merry Xmas to all everyone
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Dr IT wrote: »

whoa open on Christmas Day???
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    Dr IT wrote: »

Good luck!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I won't have the last of 2010, but I might be going for the first of 2011. I'm thinking 1/3
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I won't have the last of 2010, but I might be going for the first of 2011. I'm thinking 1/3

Bane which test are you going to sit for?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bane which test are you going to sit for?

70-294, round 2.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    70-294, round 2.

Good luck Bane. You'll get it this time!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm scheduled to take my Network+ on Dec 30th at 3pm!
    Im pretty much confident and am in the homestretch studywise. icon_study.gif

what are you going to use for the MCDST? I'm leaning towards the Sybex Deluxe hardcover book, and maybe Skillport, and i will give Microsoft's E-Learning a shot..
    I have the MS Press 271 and 272 from like 3 years ago lol

After New Years I'm going to tackle the MCDST. then either sec+ or edst7.
    (more letters on my resume and the exams now retire in dec2011 instead june2011.)

as for books ive read that the microsoft presses are the way to go for mcdst and almost any other ms exams.

the amazon.com ratings dont lie as well. Sybex's mcdst book has dismal ratings and i remember a user on here emailing the publisher about the ratings and they replied saying the first edition is something they aren't proud of. amazon's ratings for the new 'deluxe' versions is pretty much the same.

I was actually at a huge barnes and noble here in NYC studying yesterday and got a chance to hold and browse almost every IT Cert book imaginable. The MS Press books were really something. very concise and holding plenty of information. Also dont get intimidated by the number of pages in the book (near 800 i think), the page size is small like most ms press books, the font is bigger than most and alot of it is practice questions and screen captures. I have to say MSPRESS 271&272 are a lot better than the sybex mcdst. It has pretty good reviews on amazon and is the best seller.. Currently I'm using Todd Lammle's sybex book for network+ so im not trying to hate on sybex, its actually really good and supports Sybex's stellar rep.

on a side note, Make sure when you are buying the 271 and 272 books, that you get the 2nd Edition of them. They include material on win XP SP2, which you will most likely get tested on the features of.

The 271 book seems to be going for about 30-40 used. (i got mine brand new on ebay with cd for $9 yesterday icon_cheers.gif)
    also, the 272 book seems to be of limited press and they are all going for like 60 bucks maybe 50 used. I'm planning on buying the paperback Indian publisher's book shipped from india for $33 used from valorbooks.com. (apparently its word for word and just pressed in india for cheaper)

ok just a heads up.icon_thumright.gif /longpost
    wish me luck on the 30th!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    CCNP ROUTE on 24th ....
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Security + sometime near the end of the month.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.