Citrix XenDesktop 4 Training from Trainsignal

Citrix XenDesktop 4 Training from Trainsignal is out...may have to save up my pennies for this one. I'm hoping that you can just use Express to follow along in the labs.

Citrix XenDesktop 4 Training, CCA 1Y0-a17 Exam | Train Signal

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's good to see training for XenDesktop, however XD 5 just came out, so unfortunately some of it is already obsolete. As for using Express, you can likely use it for the training, but you will have to skip a lot of the content. Just going by the modules titles, since Express doesn't include Provisioning Services, you won't be able to do modules 5-9 at all, and module 12 will be different without Provisioning Services (I'm not sure Express even includes XDSW).
    XenDesktop Features and Editions
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I know XD5 just came out but it's really nice to finally see someone other than CBT Nuggets, and they really need to release some new stuff, release material related to Citrix outside of official training channels. XD4 is still an avenue if anyone is pursuing the CCEE whether or not it's outdated.
    FYI from their forums...
    12-02-2010, 11:28 PM
    image.php?u=16&dateline=1236706003 Gary user_offline.gif

icon1.gif
    Great news. We'll be releasing XenDesktop 4 training in two weeks. If you're an early adopter we'll be releasing XenDesktop 5 training in Jan/February. After those releases we'll be focusing efforts on XenApp and XenServer.
    @Qhalo thanks for sharing the info from Train Signal's forums.

I wanted to add in that its shaping up that XenDesktop 5 training will released in early Feb. baring any unforeseen problems.

The major reason we decided to develop and release both XenDesktop 4 and XenDesktop 5 so close in time is because Citrix completely rebuilt the code base and therefore doesn't have an in place upgrade.

XenDesktop 5 offers some great new speed, improved management interfaces, increased stability, and new features, but for those who already have a large deployment or are in the midst of implementing XenDesktop 4 there will be a lot that don't move to the new version unless their environments requires one of the enhancements.

We figured, heck, why not make the best training on both versions available and let you choose what version you want to learn. With the release of the v5 final bits a couple weeks ago we are already deep in production of XenDesktop 5.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the training. Have a great day.
    -Gary from Train Signal
    Gary,

That's great news! Thanks for picking up this training. The official courses are super expensive from what I've seen but I've yet to take one to validate their usefulness. One would think that since Citrix developed it, it would be decent but I've seen other courses from other vendors in that same breadth that couldn't build a course to save their lives. I like cost effective alternatives. Thanks and I hope to see more than just XD as an offering in the future.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The major reason we decided to develop and release both XenDesktop 4 and XenDesktop 5 so close in time is because Citrix completely rebuilt the code base and therefore doesn't have an in place upgrade.

XenDesktop 5 offers some great new speed, improved management interfaces, increased stability, and new features, but for those who already have a large deployment or are in the midst of implementing XenDesktop 4 there will be a lot that don't move to the new version unless their environments requires one of the enhancements.

We figured, heck, why not make the best training on both versions available and let you choose what version you want to learn. With the release of the v5 final bits a couple weeks ago we are already deep in production of XenDesktop 5.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see XD 4 training, I just would have liked to have it sooner. Ideally you would have made XD 3 training in mid 2009, since it would still be valid with only some minor updates for XD 4. Also I would have been able to make use of it when I implemented XD 3 at work, instead of having to learn it on my own using the documentation. ;)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • hawkeyelax13hawkeyelax13 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Qhalo - The plan is to develop a full line including XenDesktop, XenApp, XenServer and depending on release timing some of the other great apps/servers from Citrix.

@MentholMoose what can I say, we're a bit late to the party icon_wink.gif, but we plan on being ahead of the game going forward and hopefully save you some time avoiding white paper and documentation reading when you migrate
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice to see some CBTs for Citrix apps. Seems to be a lot of demand from employeers, but very few budget friendly alternatives out there. Sales has been trying to push XenDesktop for a while here and simply have no way of training our stuff that is in the budget. So hopefully TrainSignal will save us :)
    -Daniel
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if any of you guys are consultants but if you are a Citrix Partner you can get the training at a fraction of the cost. This is what I do as the training is pretty good.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4