Venting

security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
I taken several practice exams and I am scoring 60%-66%. I plan on taking the exam, Dec 30, 2010. I know I haven't really buckled down and studied hard for the past month. I just started studying hard on Tuesday. Here are the areas I feel weak in:

Cables & Connector (which is the easiest, so they say)
Troubleshooting Meds.
Routing Protocols
WAN & LAN properties

Areas I feel strong in:
OSI model, Ports, Network Devices, Network Security

If I can master the areas I feel weak in by Xmas, I will be ok. I just had to do a little venting. Study material I am using mcsc (website), Professor Messer video's, Mike Meyers all n one.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I taken several practice exams and I am scoring 60%-66%. I plan on taking the exam, Dec 30, 2010. I know I haven't really buckled down and studied hard for the past month. I just started studying hard on Tuesday. Here are the areas I feel weak in:

Troubleshooting Meds.
    Routing Protocols
    WAN & LAN properties

Areas I feel strong in:

If I can master the areas I feel weak in by Xmas, I will be ok. I just had to do a little venting. Study material I am using mcsc (website), Professor Messer video's, Mike Meyers all n one.

Messer was enough for me. I only scored a 775 though out of 900.
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Messer was enough for me. I only scored a 775 though out of 900.

I learn better through video training, so Messer is were I based my studies from. Not the book, to be honest, the book didn't cut it for me personally. I guess it's all in how you learn the best....I am going to keep pushing through my studies. I will pass, I just have to buckle down and concentrate. I also, need to think before I click on the answer, during practice exam and the actual exam.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Troubleshooting Meds.
    Routing Protocols
    WAN & LAN properties

Areas I feel strong in:

For the connectors and cables and the rest of the exam, this was a god send…..
    Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE

These steno pads were great for memorizing, because there is a line down the middle. You can get them at most Wal-Mart stores.
    Walmart.com: Ampad Gold Fibre Spiral Steno Book, Gregg Rule, 6 x 9, White/GN, 144 Sheets/Pad: Home Office
    I used the network+ Exam Cram book, and it helped me pass the exam. check it out if you get a chance.
    Good luck on the exam
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My thoughts exactly, Sometimes concepts seems so easy when one sits to test it, might forget to read what is being asked and just click of assumption. When it is noted which were missed it's like.. I know that answer was wrong don't know why I picked it. It happens though..

I'm sure a bit of focus will do the trick ;)

Good Luck!!!
    I just have to buckle down and concentrate. I also, need to think before I click on the answer, during practice exam and the actual exam.
  • bytenbyten Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My exam date is the same as yours. I have been studying for months. With books and practice tests, Professor Messer's videos etc. I made flash cards and am trying to keep an eye on teh "phychology" of the questions I am getting wrong on the practice tests. I keep reviewing the books...I usually go and flip through again from beginning to end, read the tips and Exam altert boxes in each chapter. I have been living, eating sleeping the objectives. Everyday I take the practice tests, over and over like a broken record... (I don't want anything elsecompeting for my neurons...

I took and passed Security+, and I didn't stress as much with that. I don't quite get why. I might have only studied 2-3 months for that one. I am easily going on 5-6 with Network+ (probably a little foolish of me).

I don't have any networking work experience ( my experience is in IT but the development side, so I had a lot to stick in my head.

I am really glad I decided to study for Network+ though. I think it will give me a good foundation before I take CCNA and also it (if I pass it) will be a quick-win on my long journey of hoped-for network certification. One little bit at a time....

I did check out Meyers new book for All-In-One Network+. I really like how they have done those because they are very visual and things are well explained. Mostly though I have been relying on my Sybex...doing the test engine and making notes in my word doc, so I will study off of that and my index cards.

I have even been thinking what my contingiency plan will be if I fail Network+...I basically need to study until I pass. If I pass...it's the CCNA!

Best of luck on your Net+ test on the 30th....

For me, the 30th can't come soon enough...

Certifications: CEH, Security+, Network+
    Certification Goals CISSP

"The first principle is that you cannot fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck with your test keep studying and you'll pass!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Good luck guys! icon_thumright.gif
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    byten wrote: »
    My exam date is the same as yours. I have been studying for months. With books and practice tests, Professor Messer's videos etc. I made flash cards and am trying to keep an eye on teh "phychology" of the questions I am getting wrong on the practice tests. I keep reviewing the books...I usually go and flip through again from beginning to end, read the tips and Exam altert boxes in each chapter. I have been living, eating sleeping the objectives. Everyday I take the practice tests, over and over like a broken record... (I don't want anything elsecompeting for my neurons...

I took and passed Security+, and I didn't stress as much with that. I don't quite get why. I might have only studied 2-3 months for that one. I am easily going on 5-6 with Network+ (probably a little foolish of me).

I don't have any networking work experience ( my experience is in IT but the development side, so I had a lot to stick in my head.

I am really glad I decided to study for Network+ though. I think it will give me a good foundation before I take CCNA and also it (if I pass it) will be a quick-win on my long journey of hoped-for network certification. One little bit at a time....

I did check out Meyers new book for All-In-One Network+. I really like how they have done those because they are very visual and things are well explained. Mostly though I have been relying on my Sybex...doing the test engine and making notes in my word doc, so I will study off of that and my index cards.

I have even been thinking what my contingiency plan will be if I fail Network+...I basically need to study until I pass. If I pass...it's the CCNA!

Best of luck on your Net+ test on the 30th....

For me, the 30th can't come soon enough...

I was stressed about my Security+ for months....I am not so stressed about this exam though. I just want to learn the material and pass!!!

We are definitely in the same boat. I have no prior networking experience. I am a security analyst and deciding to take this exam was bascially to challenge myself. I need to be more technical and the only way i was going to accomplish this mission was to take an exam. I feel before you can secure a network, you have to understand how the network work (so to speak).

I have been studying on and off since Nov. I just started studying hard last week. I think i have a pretty good understanding of the material, but only the exam will determine that...LOL. Hopefully, i will pass the exam and gain more knowledge in the process. I have a few more items I need to master in the next few days, then the review process will begin around Xmas. ttyl.

I wish you the best!!!
  • MD75028MD75028 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the connectors and cables and the rest of the exam, this was a god send…..
    Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE

These steno pads were great for memorizing, because there is a line down the middle. You can get them at most Wal-Mart stores.
    Walmart.com: Ampad Gold Fibre Spiral Steno Book, Gregg Rule, 6 x 9, White/GN, 144 Sheets/Pad: Home Office
    I used the network+ Exam Cram book, and it helped me pass the exam. check it out if you get a chance.
    Good luck on the exam

That link to the connectors and cables was real nice, thanks for posting that.