Great Debate

NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just want to hear some ideas about certification paths. I have been studying the MCSE 2003 track for some time. I have passed only 1 test 70-290 and have been battling 70-294 it seems like forever. I am in career transition and I am in limbo. Should I continue with the 2003 track or should i move on to 2008. I am still passionate about IT but life gets in the way and I can never finish a complete cert path. I was one test away from mcse nt 4.0 when the 2000 series came around. I have worked with 2003 in the past but we are going into 2011. Just looking for some clarity at this point. Any input would be appreciated

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Personally I would say continue with the 2003 track up to the MCSA, then upgrade to the 2008 track :)

-ken
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Finish the MCSA and then continue on to the 2008. I would suggest you try these two:
    70-680
    70-291

That will get you the MCSA and an CTS on Win 7. From there go on to the Server 2008 exams.
  • NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right now IT is changing so much. Outsourcing is on everyones lips and it seems that the managed service providers just see techs as a means to an end.It seems like the big boys IBM HP Dell have the market on lock. I just want to maximize my potential and have a little fun while I do it.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I'd keep working the MCSE 2003 track and get at least your MCSA (with your elective as 70-680). But if you are struggling with 70-294, then you may also have a hard time with some of the 2008 exams as well. There is a lot of overlap and cumulative knowledge that you need for 2008, and much of it comes from the 2003 level exams as a base.

It was tough (time wise), but I am glad I got my 2003 MCSE first, because the 2008 material is much easier with the base of 2003.

Good luck.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Outsourcing is on everyones lips

It might be for the huge companies but I have seen a whopping "0" in outsourcing, maybe I should pay more attention to the shite I read rather than what I actually see though. Outsourcing to me is right up there with the "500,000 IT jobs go unfilled" and the "Start out in IT earning £30,000 PA"

All these headlines have been and are utter shite from where I sit tbh. icon_thumright.gif
  • NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear you.
    On the 70-294 Its the sims on the exams that trip me up.I am good with the overall concepts of active directory.Just waffling on continuing on 2003 track vs 2008. Most likely I will finish mcsa and move on too mcts along with itil foundations