Options

Subnetting and Supernetting

StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
Does anyone know if there are a lot of questions on subnetting and supernetting?

Is there any online website where I could practice subnetting?

Comments

• Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    Thanks!

I also found another website which I find direct and to the point:

www.subnetonline.com

The MS Press book I am using made me clueless as far as subnetting is concerned. The link above helped greatly.
  • Options
    cedarghostcedarghost Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had subnetting questions on this exam that were as hard as the CCNA. One example I remeber was you had to design a subnet for 3048 users. Thats class A folks! That wasn't the bad part. The bad part was that you had to reserve 100 addreses for servers. The whole question was a DHCP scope fill in the properties type question. Microsoft recommends creating your scope and then doing exclusions for the servers right? ....there was not a properties box to configure exclusions, so you had to write out your subnets and start on the 101'st address. Sneaky, and typical of Microsoft...
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    designing a subnet for 3048 users with a class A address, piece of cake.

given class A address 9.0.0.0

8 net bits 24 host bits. need to borrow 12 bits, so that will make our mask 255.255.240.0, that gives is 4094 hosts per subnet.

Assuming that MS doesnt permit use of subnet zero, the first subnet starts at 9.0.16.1, so the server address got from 9.0.16.1-9.0.16.100, and the hosts scope goes from 9.0.16.101 - 9.0.28.101. = 3048 hosts.

Now Cisco will say something like, given the network address 9.0.0.0, create subnets that allow for at least 510 hosts per subnet. At site A assign the last usable address in the 2nd usable subnet to the ethernet interface of the router. On site b assign the 1 usbale address of the 17th usable subnet to the ethernet interface of router B. They arent sneaky like MS, they are just up front tough.

I still hate subnetting btw if anyone is wondering, I just know how to do it now :P

If those prove to not be enough for you check out thebryanttadvantage.com and check out his binary PDF, well worth the 10 bucks. I tried all the free websites and couldnt get it.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If those prove to not be enough for you check out thebryanttadvantage.com and check out his binary PDF, well worth the 10 bucks. I tried all the free websites and couldnt get it.

What do you think of him? Trainsignal just released a CCNA video series last week by Bryant. I have not seen it yet but I think Trainsignal has the best lab based MCSE videos on the market. They are expensive however and you pretty much need 3 machines minimum to follow along.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    cedarghostcedarghost Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, the subnetting was cake.. the point was that they didn't give you the option to do an exclusion on the SIM so you had to assume you needed to start at the 101'st address. A natural assumption for most of us, but not for everybody. Not when Microsoft wants you to always do things the "Microsoft way" and then don't give you the option to do that...sneaky. And Microsoft does allow the use of the 0 subnet. So does Cisco now for that matter. As long as the IOS is 12.x and the subnet zero is enabled on the router. You would have to show running config to find out.
  • Options
    cisco_kidcisco_kid Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's a program that generates an infinite number of subnet questions in the form of practice tests. Its like a boson type test but subnetting only. Check out:

http://www.iscinc.com/SubnetTutor/

Also includes a detailed tutorial and subnet calculator.

cisco_kid
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    ^^

You definetely need to check the running config, I had a question on my test that didnt allow for subnet zero. They should state it in the question though, unlike MS, they arent tricky, just tough.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p