Debating whether or not to go after Net+

bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'd like to get the Net+ before the lifetime cert goes away but I'm not sure how useful it'll be for me. I'm starting WGU's IT-Security degree in February and it' not in the degree plan but I'd like to get a part-time job at some point and think that the Net+ would help out a lot. I noticed that it's listed a lot more than the Sec+ in job listings.

Do you guys think I should go for the Net+? I already have some network experience and Mike Myers Net+ book to study from.

I'm thinking about scheduling it for December 29. Is this enough time?

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bc901 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'd like to get the Net+ before the lifetime cert goes away but I'm not sure how useful it'll be for me. I'm starting WGU's IT-Security degree in February and it' not in the degree plan but I'd like to get a part-time job at some point and think that the Net+ would help out a lot. I noticed that it's listed a lot more than the Sec+ in job listings.

Do you guys think I should go for the Net+? I already have some network experience and Mike Myers Net+ book to study from.

I'm thinking about scheduling it for December 29. Is this enough time?

honestly i wouldnt worry about the whole lifetime thing if youre enrolling for WGU. YES its very helpful and covers much material but NO i dont think you'd have enough time. better to not squeeze it in.
    also NO you shouldnt worry about the lifetime thing because i believe you can keep it updated after it expires with your college credits from WGU.
    i was going to say you can keep it updated by taking the security+ in the future but you already seem to have that.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • DaysOfNoahDaysOfNoah Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bc901,

As for if you SHOULD do it -- up to you to decide. : ) But for me, it is very useful foundation! Wish I had gotten it years ago.

As for if you CAN still do it -- getting close time-wise. If you are able to devote several full days you could do it. I started studying December 5th and passed Network+ this morning with 851. I am married (to an incredible wife) and have a family.
    -> 4 full days of study
    -> 9 days of 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour before bed.

I first download the exam objectives from Comptia.

(1) Used Professor Messer's outstanding videos (free) as primary source. Watched all videos once and took notes. Along the way made flash cards from the notes. These were outstanding.
    (2) Used Mike Meyer's Network+ Passport -- easy read -- could be easily read in 2 days. Everything that is an "Exam Tip" is what you need to know. I skimmed this, and read a few chapters I needed to understand better.
    (3) Bought but did NOT use Mike Meyer's All-in-One Guide (for the sake of time).
    (4) A few times I referenced the (free) MCMSE Network+ study guide to understand something better.
    (5) Practice exams from TechExams, PrepLogic (free 100 questions), and Network+ Passport book.

You know what? If I had to do it over I'd do it the same way, except instead of (3 & 5) above, I'd purchase the full PrepLogic practice exams and focus time there (after Messer videos). The trial version of PrepLogic was very helpful.

The actual test is mostly very short questions, and multiple choice answers. As for multiple choice - I had only "Choose TWO of the following" 3 or 4 times.

-> Classless subnetting and IPv6 appear to be less heavily tested (based on my experience, and those of others on this forum).
    -> The commands (NETSTAT, etc) seem more focused on identification in a given scenario, rather than memorizing every command-line parameter.
    -> The troubleshooting section is mostly common sense.

Hope that is helpful in making your decision. I also hope the IT security degree goes well for you.
    "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you!" (James 4:8 )

"And this eternal life that they know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You have sent!" (Jesus, John 17:3)

See for yourself: God is real! There is a big difference between religion and relationship. God is inviting you into relationship where you know Him, hear His voice, and share your heart with Him.

Why not sincerely ask:
    "God, if You are real, I want to know You"