I Love Barnes and Noble

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
kinda random but a VERY GOOD study aid. and just pointing it out icon_thumright.gif
kinda wrapping up studies for the net+ im taking on the 30th and just spent 4 hours reviewing and taking practice questions!

theres an open starbucks in the barnes and nobles here at union square and its always packed with people reading books and magazines. I brought a couple of good books to my table. 1. Exam Cram NET+, 2. Sybex NET+ Review Guide and 3.Mike Meyers Net+ Passport!

Till now, I've used Professor Messer and Lammle's Sybex study guide and found that using multiple, and may i point out, FREE! resources to be amazing! Reading different authors' wording on topics really helped clear up alot up for me!icon_cheers.gif

i was really nervous not knowing where i could get get practice questions for the exam, but this idea turned out wonderful! I Highly suggest it for people with a little spare time to solidify information prior to an exam!

on a funny note, There was a guy at the table next to me with an ITIL v3 Foundations book!icon_lol.gif
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    on a funny note, There was a guy at the table next to me with an ITIL v3 Foundations book!icon_lol.gif

Was he sleeping icon_biggrin.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've been going to Borders for years, taking a seat with a cup of coffee and paging through the books in the computer section. If I find that I've read more than a third-way through a book, I generally buy it, but it's also a great way to figure out what book is going to work for me when I'm studying for a cert or trying to learn something new.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Was he sleeping icon_biggrin.gif
    actually he didnt seem quite interested one bit. spent more time on his cell.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I've been going to Borders for years, taking a seat with a cup of coffee and paging through the books in the computer section. If I find that I've read more than a third-way through a book, I generally buy it, but it's also a great way to figure out what book is going to work for me when I'm studying for a cert or trying to learn something new.

That`s a great idea actually...I`m going to have to use that one. Amazon has this feature that allows you to read the first few pages but they usually don`t contain a lot of information.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    actually he didnt seem quite interested one bit. spent more time on his cell.

You work around there? I'm on 17th st and 6th ave.. I love going to that location if not I'll just go to the one on 18th and 5th ave.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been going to Borders for years. I find that the Borders near me usually has a better selection of tech guides than Barnes and Noble.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I never thought about this... i may have to give it a shot
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I was bummed when the Barnes and Noble by my house closed down. I enjoyed browsing the books on sale looking for leisure reading. They had comfortable seating in the Starbucks area and used to have a decent tech books section. Unfortunately the closest book store now is either 30 minutes in one direction to Borders or 30 minutes in the other direction to Barnes and Noble.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All I've got locally is a Books-A-Million, and they recently revamped their store. They now have all their computer books on one shelf now (versus the entire wall as it was before) and the few certification related books are A+, Network + or CCNA. It's mostly "dummies" books and digital camera crap. It's funny though that there's a display for the Nook at the front of the store, a e-reader from a competitor book store.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    someeh wrote: »
    You work around there? I'm on 17th st and 6th ave.. I love going to that location if not I'll just go to the one on 18th and 5th ave.
    no but my gf lives on 18th and park right around the corner so we meet up and both get to do some serious studying.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I miss the days of going to B&N to study all day. I don't use their books, I bring the book I bought usually from B&N. I don't feel comfortable using all their books, I usually glance at a new book if I want to buy it or thinking about buying it.

I think the brick and mortar bookstores are really hurting due to places like Amazon its too hard to compete with online prices where they don't have to deal with distribution costs to different stores all over the country.