298 Letdown

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Score: a disheartening 678...EXTREMELY frustrating to see that number on the screen.

My score sheet indicated, Ironically, that I had a full bar in one objective. The rest were well over 75% except for one that was about 60%.

I have a good idea where I went wrong. Other than one of the my weaker scores in the objectives score sheet, I ran out of time on the first and third testlets. As a result, I found myself wildly guessing on 4 questions, and rushing to answer 5. After that though, it was fairly smooth. Everything was clicking. I just got caught up on 2 questions, and wasted precious minutes and my MCSE chances for now.

Id be lying if I said that 'I feel there was ample time to complete this exam'. There is NOT, and time management is key. It is what it is, and I should be using my 2nd shot within the first 2 weeks of 2011.

I was really close to not posting this experience, because this one hurts BAD. However, if this helps someone along the way, then I guess its worth posting.

I think I am going to pick up the 70-298 sybex book for fun. Gives me something supplemental to read. Anybody have any opinions on this one?
Sybex 70-298

I will enjoy the holiday week and then get back on the horse...
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well since you posted I guess I will too. I got a 636 last week without studying too much for it. I was the same as you. Got 100% in one objective and ran out of time on one of the case studies. Was cruising near the end once I got the hang of the different format.

At one point I was confused because they give current hardware/software and what they will have after the upgrade, but I didn't know if the questions were asking about what they had now or what they will have.

Regardless, there is nothing new to learn for this test as far as material. It is all about how you can handle the new test format. Reading comprehension is the name of the game. We'll both get it on our second shot.

I have the Sybex book. Most chapters are pretty good. Even saw some stuff in there that could have helped with my 299 exam. I'd recommend it as I don't remember there being all that good of info in the M$ 298 book.

As someone in another thread said, read the question then read up from the bottom of the case study. Most answers seem to be in the last few sections.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Really sorry to hear. So close, probably a question away. I know you'll get it the next time!!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DragonNOA1 wrote: »
    As someone in another thread said, read the question then read up from the bottom of the case study. Most answers seem to be in the last few sections.

This trick did me well. Read each question first and then search for the answer in the info. It really sped things up; I think that was a tip from Psoasman.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry to hear that man.

After taking that test I can tell you the videos for 70-298 at vtc.com were pretty shockingly good. Just follow along in VMmware. Do everything he does and you got 80% of the material right there.
    -Daniel
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    DragonNOA1 wrote: »

That's the best advise on this test. I passed this one sometime ago using that method. You have to sift through all of the extra crap to get to what they want. I got a 700 on it, and I know if I had not followed this method, I would not have passed.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I should have also mentioned my study material:

-MS Press 70-299
    -Transcender for 298
    -CBT Nuggets

I used the 'read the question first' method throughout the test. It works well when you manage your time wisely. Unfortunately, I got stuck on a few and completely lost track of time. Honestly, with the given amount of time I cant see how I could have completed the testlets if I read through the entire case scenario.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    One final method that really helped me.

Ask yourself, what is Microsoft selling here? I found I could rule out half the answers simply because it wasn't something Microsoft is pushing at the time. Then it was just a matter of technical accuracy less than reading the scenario.

I can't be specific but examples
    1) might be ditch NT4 machines and standardize on XP. Even though NT might have worked
    2) PPTP VPNs are just fine.

Now that you have read the question already you'll go through a lot quicker. Good luck!
    -Daniel
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone has been failing tests the last week, it's crazy.

And I know what you mean, I just scored a 663. All of my bars were in the 75-90% area. So I'm also a little taken back witht the score.

But you'll go take it again and pass. Just keep going and you'll get it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Everyone has been failing tests the last week, it's crazy.

And I know what you mean, I just scored a 663. All of my bars were in the 75-90% area. So I'm also a little taken back witht the score.

But you'll go take it again and pass. Just keep going and you'll get it.

right back at ya, man! icon_cool.gif
    Good luck with 294. It is by far THE most deceptive exam I have taken thus far.

Im on the fence about the Sybex book. I feel that I know the actual material, its maybe more of a test format issue. I dont know, it would be nice to read something else other than a 1000+ MS Press book over the holiday weekend. :)

snadam wrote: »
    I should have also mentioned my study material:

-MS Press 70-299
    -Transcender for 298
    -CBT Nuggets

Did the transcender use case study questions or just normal ones?
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Did the transcender use case study questions or just normal ones?

It uses case study questions.
    shon541 wrote: »
    It uses case study questions.

Excellent, I think I'll be needing that. A little uneasy with the new format. Any idea how similar they are to the real thing? If you take one of the practice exams, does it keep you as rushed for time as the real thing?