Options

SQL Help

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am installing SQL 2008 server for the first time under Win 7. The installation says it goes through just fine, but when I go to launch management studio, the login screen flashes and then disappears. It does not give me the option to select a database, etc. This is causing an issue with another program that needs to be installed that uses SQL. If anyone knows of a way to stop the screen, so I can actually log into the DB, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you installed any service packs?

I get that the login prompt goes away, but are you then left with empty management studio? If so can you click Connect => Database Engine under Object Explorer?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never seen this exact issue before... if I had to guess I'd say maybe either your .Net framework is jacked up, or your client security software is interfering
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I can hit connect>database engine> and then I can see how to login. I deleted the credentials and created new ones. I can log into sql then.

However, when I go to try and install the program that runs on top of it I get the following error:

Sqlstate=08001, NativeError=17, Description = [DBNetLib] (Connect()). Server does not exist or access denied.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you configured the instance to allow access via TCP?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it looking for the \INSTANCENAME after the hostname.. and that part is maybe being omitted in the application install?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...