Options

Multiple HT Servers

In an environment where there are multiple HT, how does Exchange determines which one to use? I'm asking because our network has 2 Exchange server, both have a typical installation of the CA, HT, and MB roles.

Server 1 has the database mounted, but everytime email is sent, it gets delivered to the submission queue on Server 2 for delivery. If I open the email and look at the header, I see that Server 1 received the message from Server 2. Further more, if I suspend the submission queue on Server 2, no one is able to send email.

How do I change this so that the HT on Server 1 is used instead of Server 2? I want Server 2 solely as a backup system incase Server 1 goes down.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    What version of Exchange?
    Is this internal mail or external mail as well?

When a mailbox server also hosts the HT role, the local transport service is always used over other HT servers in the site. Unless the local transport service isn't working, in which case the mailbox server will start using other HT servers in the site in a round-robin fashion. Have you checked to make sure nothing is wrong with the transport service on server 1?

Load Balancing and Fault Tolerance for Transport Servers: Exchange 2007 Help
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Found out what the problem was. Both server1 and server2 are a part of a DAG, and I guess that's what's causing this problem.

Apparently when a server hosting the MB and HT role is part of a DAG, the way transport works gets changed. Instead of Server1 submitting mail to itself, it submits mail to Server2 so that there are 2 copies incase Server1 goes down. It makes sense...but sure was hard to figure out...