Options

Is Unity Dead????????????????

shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
I was going to write a blog post about this and maybe I will. Today we had the pleasure of playing with a exchange 2010 server with Unified messaging. It wasn't as feature rich as unity, but I wad pretty dam impressed and felt this was the beginning of the end for unity. Am I saying unity will be wiped out overnight no, but I'm saying that Unifed Messaging is up for grabs and unless Cisco does something far and beyond I can see M$ getting into this game strong.
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just because there is competition for voice mail does not make another unified communications solution dead. Cisco has continued to beat free voicemail solutions for quite some time now, and I find it hard to believe that people will be trading in their perfectly functional cisco equipment for a Microsoft platform anytime soon. I also don't see people looking to Microsoft as a cheap alternative to VoIP voicemail, since Astrix does that just fine and there are loads of it out there for next to nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is Unified Messaging has always been up for grabs. MS joining the game should only liven the field. Which I strongly encourage.

Besides... do I really want to manage a microsoft server in my telcom admin job? I sure don't!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dead? Nah.

Think to your enteprise envionment. Many are STILL segregated into Network operation and voice even though they are VOIP envionment. PURELY political lines. Think they want to involve the messaging/server teams? Their change control meetings are already out of control.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Dead? Nah.

Think to your enteprise envionment. Many are STILL segregated into Network operation and voice even though they are VOIP envionment. PURELY political lines. Think they want to involve the messaging/server teams? Their change control meetings are already out of control.

Thanks for the comments. With a lot of network ops I know they are segregated due to the sheer size of some of them. I happen now to work at a partner, so I see quite a few networks on a day to day basis. Most companies are looking to keep cost down and I see this as a way to start. Our sales force will be pushing this hardcore to people who don't have advanced messaging needs. I wrote this post earlier, but I found out today we already have this installed in 2 500 seat sites. I think its up for grabs as I posted earlier, but combined with M$ OCS I can see this eating a chunk away. It doesn't matter I move with the technology.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's probably not dead but Microsoft has upped the ante with the latest versions of Exchange with regards to UM. Dropping Unity and moving to Exchange UM is a topic of frequent discussion in my organization.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We use unity where I work, I believe it's running on windows 2000 servers lol
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    True.
    Also IMHO, Cisco UC core lies on CallManager. This is something Cisco must defend. Fortunately, they have been doing a great job. Avaya is far behind, hoho.
  • Options
    RayGMCRayGMC Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMHO, Unity Connection will dominate the Unified VM market.