Bad CPU?

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently bought an e-Machines desktop, it was on sale at Wal-Mart for like $280. Not that I needed another computer, but who can pass up deal right ? Anyway, I got it home and it worked fine for about 2 weeks. Until one night I went to power it up and ... nothing! Not a beep not a fan, nothing. So naturally I grab my bag and pop the case open and check the continuity of the switch, good. Check to see if everything is seated, reseat the RAM, everything seems fine. Try it again, nothing. Then I noticed that the 4-PIN power connector had a burnt spot. So I had a spare 400-watt PSU in the closet, replaced it. It turned on, the CPU fan started spinning, DVD-RW light blinked a few times, then it kicked right back off.

So then I started trying to narrow everything down to what it could be. I remove my 4 GB (2x2 PC2-5300 Crucial) and replace it with a brand new stick of Crucial 2GB PC2-5300, no change. Replaced the hard drive with one I had laying around, I know it was good though because it was just removed from a clients PC 3 days ago because he wanted a new one. Gave me the old one for spoils. Anyway, no change. I check all my SATA cables, wires for the HDD light, power switch, etc.. Really trying to eliminate everything so I can assume a MOBO failure. Never once did I assume the CPU. Well, I finally talked myself into it and decided that somehow, one way or the other, the MOBO had fried. Whether it be coincidence or one of those "Thats what you get from buying a extremely discounted PC from Wal-Mart."

So I buy an ASUS M2N68-AM Plus MOBO, nice little piece. Supports RAID, 4 SATA receptacles, lots of little stuff I wanted to toy with. Take the CPU out of the e-Machines, the RAM(Which is compatible according to the documentation), a different power supply. This new setup is in a tower.

I go to turn it on, guess what happens ? CPU Fan kicks on at high RPMs, stays on for a few seconds, and then shuts off. Nothing I do rectify s this. Could I have been mistaken all along ? Is my processor bad ?

It's an AMD Ahtlon II 64 .

Whats it sound like to y'all ?
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    First sin - Buying eMachines. Yes....this is not just a mistake, but a sin.

And I've never experience a "bad" CPU, unless it suffered from a bent pin.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Then I noticed that the 4-PIN power connector had a burnt spot.
    If the PSU fails, and on a dirt cheap PC this is common, anything could be killed, including the CPU. If there is a return policy or warranty, you should take advantage of it.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    First sin - Buying eMachines. Yes....this is not just a mistake, but a sin.

And I've never experience a "bad" CPU, unless it suffered from a bent pin.

Well, bad CPU's do exist lol, it's not really a rare incident. I've called eMachines, and apparently this particular PC has been previously owned and I need to have the previous owner transfer ownership before they can fulfill their warrany obligations. So, I'm on my own here. I guess thats why it was dirt cheap. I've pretty much eliminated all other aspects. But I have got a feelibng considering the CPU fan is spinning very fast, and I get no POST, it's probably the CPU considering everything else has been tested on other machines.
    Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
    CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
    CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
    Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
    The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
    TestOut Labsim - Network +
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • mrgreggiemrgreggie Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, bad CPU's do exist lol, it's not really a rare incident. I've called eMachines, and apparently this particular PC has been previously owned and I need to have the previous owner transfer ownership before they can fulfill their warrany obligations. So, I'm on my own here. I guess thats why it was dirt cheap. I've pretty much eliminated all other aspects. But I have got a feelibng considering the CPU fan is spinning very fast, and I get no POST, it's probably the CPU considering everything else has been tested on other machines.

Just take it back to Walmart, they'll take back anything, even if you have cracked it open, broken warranty seals, etc etc. I purchased an uber cheap lappy from them about 4 years ago, and my ex still uses it daily.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Well, bad CPU's do exist lol, it's not really a rare incident.

For a brand new one? I've bought, fixed and overclocked CPUs (new and old) on a regular basis for the last 10 years.

eMachines AND used...man. I guess the only way you could make that recipe for disaster worse is if you had bought it from a Nigerian prince on craigslist.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???