NYT Article - Email Use Falls

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/technology/21email.html

Article from Monday's NYT. I'm not really surprised that the use of email among "younger" users is falling in favor to things like text messaging, IM, etc.

I still use only email (both personally and professionally). I have an "internal" IM client at work, but still all official communication is done via email. I don't have any IM clients on my home pc, and I don't have a smart phone or a text messaging plan so I rarely get text messages (plus it takes me too long to type out a text message). I do have an iPod touch and I find that sending email (albeit short ones) are very easy to do on it.

What do you think? Do you find yourself using IM/text messaging more than email?
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use email as my primary tool for communicating. I text my wife but that is usually for stuff I need to know now or soon and don't feel like taking up her time with calling her. I don't care for texting a lot because it feels like your poking somebody and they feel like they should respond to you now.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I use email as my primary tool for communicating. I text my wife but that is usually for stuff I need to know now or soon and don't feel like taking up her time with calling her. I don't care for texting a lot because it feels like your poking somebody and they feel like they should respond to you now.

E-mail is my primary tool as well. I never use texting. At work other than e-mail we use Blackberry Messenger for quicker responses and as a broadcast tool.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    E-mail is my primary tool as well. I never use texting. At work other than e-mail we use Blackberry Messenger for quicker responses and as a broadcast tool.

You just had me thinking. I'd have to go back and re-read the article, but I believe those that didn't utilize email a lot were younger (ie high school/college age). I wonder if that demographic would utilize email more if they worked in a professional environment?
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    rwmidl wrote: »
    You just had me thinking. I'd have to go back and re-read the article, but I believe those that didn't utilize email a lot were younger (ie high school/college age). I wonder if that demographic would utilize email more if they worked in a professional environment?

Interesting theory... :)
    Interesting theory... :)

I doubt sending a Facebook message/text message to your boss asking for a day off would fly...
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I doubt sending a Facebook message/text message to your boss asking for a day off would fly...

Depends on if your boss is Mark Zuckerburg and you are using Facebook mail icon_wink.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "OMG, I cn't find a jb! I cn only spk txtsp33k."

This is my fear for this younger generation that will attempt to put e-mail on the wayside. Fax machines were also supposed to go the wayside, but many companies still use them...as do I. $60 for a brand new all in one...can't beat that...had it for about 4 years and it still does the job.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    "OMG, I cn't find a jb! I cn only spk txtsp33k."

This is my fear for this younger generation that will attempt to put e-mail on the wayside. Fax machines were also supposed to go the wayside, but many companies still use them...as do I. $60 for a brand new all in one...can't beat that...had it for about 4 years and it still does the job.

Yup, my folks are still using one for their business and I suspect it will still be a few years before e-mail takes that over.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The only time I ever use email is at work, or when looking for work. Most people use email for nothing but crappy forwards and spam. In my personal life I really have no use for email besides some mailing lists I like to read. If I want to communicate with someone its a text or a phone call.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Yup, my folks are still using one for their business and I suspect it will still be a few years before e-mail takes that over.

We still have a fax machine (AIO) and I use to use the fax portion quite often (fax FSA reimbursement requests). Now I mostly use the scanner to scan paper documents onto our file server as PDF's.