2nd Time, Failed again - Very Close

7 VII 77 VII 7 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I took the CISSP exam for the 2nd time on Nov 14th 2010. I failed again.

Fist time I took it I scored in the high 500s and now my score was 656, which really upsets me because it was so close. I did a CISSP Boot Camp before the 1st time I took it. I used those notes and the CISSP Passport book and studied for 4 months before taking it the second time.

I am kinda running out of steam here and motivation. I studied 2 hours a night 5 days a week for 4 months and then the last two weeks about 3 hours a night up until the exam. I am not sure what else do to.

I plan on taking it again in Feb but damn I am losing motivation. Any suggestions or booster would be great.

/rant

Comments

• hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    Wow you were close! I'm sure you'll get it next time. Don't get discouraged. It's going to be a great accomplishment when you do pass.

Moe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Comparing the lists of your worst domains from your two failure notification emails, are they the same set of domains or did they shuffle around quite a bit?

And did you notice any problems that you had in the test environment (nervous or distracted, unable to concentrate for long, seeing a lot of topics you never studied, etc.) both times you sat for the exam?
  • 7 VII 77 VII 7 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Comparing the lists of your worst domains from your two failure notification emails, are they the same set of domains or did they shuffle around quite a bit?

And did you notice any problems that you had in the test environment (nervous or distracted, unable to concentrate for long, seeing a lot of topics you never studied, etc.) both times you sat for the exam?

Domains shuffled around a bit, but not a lot.

The 2nd test environment was not good. The table was under 2' depth so getting organized the whole time was a hassle. They had two people at that table per test taking... the table was about 6' long. Also to make things worse the legs were the ones that fold up into the bottom of the table and since I am over 6'5" my knees were jabbing the legs and support arm the whole time. VERY uncomfortable.
    Usually people underestimate how deeply and thoroughly they need to study the CBK material, and fail make the "above and beyond" effort needed for the CISSP exam. In your case, it may have been the situation of the exam room put you off your game just enough to fail on your 2nd try.

When you make the 3rd attempt, you only need study those top 2-3 domains and find a different exam location. Ballrooms in big hotels are generally good. Avoid exams given in "The Kentucky Room" of a Motel 6. icon_tongue.gif
  • 7 VII 77 VII 7 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Usually people underestimate how deeply and thoroughly they need to study the CBK material, and fail make the "above and beyond" effort needed for the CISSP exam. In your case, it may have been the situation of the exam room put you off your game just enough to fail on your 2nd try.

When you make the 3rd attempt, you only need study those top 2-3 domains and find a different exam location. Ballrooms in big hotels are generally good. Avoid exams given in "The Kentucky Room" of a Motel 6. icon_tongue.gif

It was in a huge ballroom at a nice hotel with about 400 of my closest friends (lol)

I will ask to be seated at a single table where no one is next time so I have space to stretch my legs.

but damn it sucks to take it a 3rd time.
    7 VII 7 wrote: »
    I will ask to be seated at a single table where no one is next time so I have space to stretch my legs.
    And far away from the stampede to the bathroom as possible. I was in a big ballroom too, and it seemed after the first hour like an endless parade back and forth the john. icon_lol.gif
    And far away from the stampede to the bathroom as possible. I was in a big ballroom too, and it seemed after the first hour like an endless parade back and forth the john. icon_lol.gif

I was against the wall in a conference room and that was fine. People in your row going to the restroom and bumping your chair on their way out can get very annoying and be a huge distraction.

Avoid any isle seats if you have them.

Also I had many more proctors than I expected. I'm assuming they were getting CPE credits before the end of the year. The seat against the wall will prevent them from walking by you (hawking) which can also be distracting and nerve racking.

Moe.
    Also I had many more proctors than I expected.
    More than three? I've only heard of that when an exam is being given in a very out-of-the-way, God-forsaken military base where most proctors don't want to go. They will assign extra proctors in case some don't show up because they got lost in the snow or the desert trying to find the exam. icon_lol.gif
    More than three? I've only heard of that when an exam is being given in a very out-of-the-way, God-forsaken military base where most proctors don't want to go. They will assign extra proctors in case some don't show up because they got lost in the snow or the desert trying to find the exam. icon_lol.gif

Three is the number I heard was standard, there was SIX. I was mind-blown when I saw them all. I was thinking, dang everyone lied to me, there's six of them, not three lol. I was in Kansas City by the airport, pretty much 10-15 min from downtown.

Moe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.