Career path changes

perfectgravityperfectgravity Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone I just found this forum. It seems like a very good pace with lots of info and help.
Here is my story:
I got a bachelor degree in HR because I finished high school and still didn't know what I wanted to do. While I was doing this I got into Future Shop as seasonal sales person as just a way to make some extra money. I had the great fortune of having an amazing boss and long story short I got into the tech department there with no experience or certifications - i did however know pretty much everything just from my own tinkering around and fixing pcs.

So after I graduated I realized that HR was not for me and I should have gone on the IT path. My FS experience helped me land a low paying help desk job in a small company. After 1 year I am now at a big financial company help desk with great growth opportunities and I am starting to try to head for a systems admin type role.

I just completed both of the exams needed for A+, got 90% on them and they were super easy for me because of my experience.

My question is what should I be trying to go for next?

I was looking at server+/network+ as well as the MCITP courses.

I was planning on doing the MCITP 70-680 but from this form it seems really hard so maybe I should wait on that one :)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

I was planning on doing the MCITP 70-680 but from this form it seems really hard so maybe I should wait on that one :)

Network+ is the next logical step for CompTIA certs. I have never seen any noise made about Server+, so I would skip it.

If I were you I would rub some elbows with the Admins and ask them what certifications are valued for your company (Microsoft, Cisco, etc) In the meantime studying for Network+ would certainly help you.

I would try to find your passion as well (networking, security, servers Linux or Microsoft) and then specialize in that area. For example your company may have several flavors of admin roles ones that focus on VMware/Microsoft servers and ones that focus on Cisco routers/switches/Checkpoint firewalls.

If you can't find any Admins to direct you I would say Network+ and then moving into Microsoft for MCITP-SA (if your goal is to admin Microsoft servers) would be a really good goal to set.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • perfectgravityperfectgravity Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ibcritn wrote: »
    If I were you I would rub some elbows with the Admins and ask them what certifications are valued for your company (Microsoft, Cisco, etc) In the meantime studying for Network+ would certainly help you.

I would try to find your passion as well (networking, security, servers Linux or Microsoft) and then specialize in that area. For example your company may have several flavors of admin roles ones that focus on VMware/Microsoft servers and ones that focus on Cisco routers/switches/Checkpoint firewalls.

Good Ideas I am friends with the Admins. I learn a lot of things form them too as I act as an intermediary between the user and the admin and we brainstrom ideas as to what is causing the problems: Proxy, DNS issues, etc. I will ask them what they have.

Yes there are phone system admins, network admins, and MS server admins. I am not really sure which one I would like more because I just have a very basic understanding of what they do.

What about Security+ ? is that before or after network+?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome!

I would say go for the Net+ before the Sec+ as the objectives of the Network+ will make it easier to understand what you will learn int he Sec+. Honestly, I suggest you skip the Sec+ for now and go on to one of the Microsoft certs.

It is unlikely that you will be able to accomplish the Sec+ in time to gain the life time credential and it will honestly be of questionable utility to you starting your career.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Welcome!

I would say go for the Net+ before the Sec+ as the objectives of the Network+ will make it easier to understand what you will learn int he Sec+. Honestly, I suggest you skip the Sec+ for now and go on to one of the Microsoft certs.

It is unlikely that you will be able to accomplish the Sec+ in time to gain the life time credential and it will honestly be of questionable utility to you starting your career.

Unless your goal is security I agree with RobertKaucher that a Microsoft cert may make more sense. I would setup some home labs with some M$ server OS's and maybe get a hold Cisco Packet Tracer (a program to virtually setup networks with cisco hardware) see what you like more test the waters.

VMware Player is a free download so I would start out with that and download Server 2008 and feel the waters to see if you would rather do Windows Admin or more Networking centric. Either way you need to start to get a lab together to not only advance your skills, but to have a talking point with the other admins/possible future interviews.

I would study for Network+ as its good to have this foundation before you move into Microsoft server certifications.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, look into the company system future plan and see what is need. In the same time, try to enhance your skill on current systems. I will take certification only that can help or enhance my ability to get better career. Do not go after certification because they sound cool.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi everyone I just found this forum. It seems like a very good pace with lots of info and help.
    Here is my story:
    I got a bachelor degree in HR because I finished high school and still didn't know what I wanted to do. While I was doing this I got into Future Shop as seasonal sales person as just a way to make some extra money. I had the great fortune of having an amazing boss and long story short I got into the tech department there with no experience or certifications - i did however know pretty much everything just from my own tinkering around and fixing pcs.

So after I graduated I realized that HR was not for me and I should have gone on the IT path. My FS experience helped me land a low paying help desk job in a small company. After 1 year I am now at a big financial company help desk with great growth opportunities and I am starting to try to head for a systems admin type role.

I just completed both of the exams needed for A+, got 90% on them and they were super easy for me because of my experience.

It really depends on your environment. Without more information about your specific environment I don't feel comfortable offering specific advice.

I would say that Network + is a nice certification to have. It fills in a lot of knowledge gaps, well the training does, the cert just validates it.
    I would also consider looking into a Windows 7 certification. 70-680 seems like a really popular one.

If you aren't a certification addict then I would probably tactifully eye down 1-2 certifications that can make a difference and focus on the job at hand.

***These are just generalizations***
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi everyone ... After 1 year I am now at a big financial company help desk with great growth opportunities and I am starting to try to head for a systems admin type role.

I would first go for the MCITP EDST 7 to confirm your experience as a desktop support agent. Then I would immediately turn my eyes on the MCITP: EDA 7 and the Network+.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would first go for the MCITP EDST 7 to confirm your experience as a desktop support agent. Then I would immediately turn my eyes on the MCITP: EDA 7 and the Network+.

+1 with the EDST

That would be a very nice one to pick up. Very recent OS.