Win 7 USB Audio?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
Okay, I bought a Plantronics .Audio 646 DSP headset with a bunch of my friends. I get home, plug it in, and Windows 7 x64 can not find a driver for it.

I go to the Plantronics website, and it says that all drivers are stored within the windows installation and that they don't provide any drivers.

So, being a bit smarter than your average help desk phone call, I went into device manager.

When I plug in my headset, the "Plantonics .Audio 646 DSP" appears under Other Devices. Update driver... no glory. I look under Sound, video, and game controllers, and I thought I should see a "USB Audio Device" under there some where. No such luck. I look under USB Controllers, and nothing related to audio is in there either.

So I decide it would be a good idea to scrounge the net for some windows drivers. As an example, I will use my new favorite tool: Let me google that for you

Basically everything I find is proprietary to some brand of audio equipment. I have been unable to find another case of this headset not working, either. Even my friends have it working fine.

So I remove all other variables... I remove all unneeded peripherals including stereo. I check for updates for my audio drivers. I run Windows 7 Updates and confirm I'm 100% up to date. Plug in the headset AND... still the exact same thing. "Windows was unable to locate the drivers."

So now I come to you. I'm pretty sure I got boned during my 7 install and am missing the built in drivers... I can't seem to find where I can get them. Any clues?

I appreciate it!
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Maybe it's the device itself? Have you tried plugging it into another computer?
    Usus magister est optimus
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's bizarre

My Plantronic headset uses the C-Media USB Audio Device drivers. When I plug my headset in, it automatically recognizes the device and the C-Media Audio Device appears.

What about downloading the C-Media USB Device drivers?

What happens when you run XP mode and plug the device in? Can you select C-Media and hear audio?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Okay well I got the headphones to work on another computer running the same OS. I have all of the same drivers in my box that it has being called by the device. I'm still trying to figure this out...

Also, no glory with the C-Media USB drivers. I could not even find a download that would let me not have their hardware plugged in.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometime this is installation problem on the Win 7. Did you try to reload some pre-configure driver to Win 7. Remember those device not build to install additional driver. That's why they are USB and specially when come to Win 7. A lot of driver is using integrated extension file and shared library.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn