Question about SDM

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
I am having a lot of problems trying to get SDM to work with my 2610xm router. I have a xp box that I got it to come up on, but I couldn't get the additional tasks part to come up. After some research, I found that it was possibly the version of java that I was using, so I installed an old version and it still did the same thing.

Now I am trying to get sdm to work on a fresh win7 install, with only the old version of java installed and SDM won't even come up.

Would all of these problems go away if I just installed SDM straight onto the router?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Would all of these problems go away if I just installed SDM straight onto the router?
    No -- you'll still be using your local Java to run the code.

You need the magic Java version and browser and operating system combination. icon_lol.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/50841-sdm-java-version.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/51459-problem-additional-tasks-sdm.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/51585-sdm-problem-java-win7.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Yeah this was a hassel for me too. I am running a Win7 machine and even with the "right" version of Java it still wouldn't work for me. I had to create a VM of WindowsXP and install only the "right" version of Java. THEN it would work.

BTW -- the version I used to get SDM2.5 working is "j2re-1_4_2_19-windows-i586-p.exe"
    You should be able to find it if you google for old versions of Java.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I wonder why cisco hasn't fixed this problem. It seems strange to me that they test on something that you have to "duct tape" modern systems together in order to get it to work. Are they eventually going to phase this out, or are they going to come out with a different one? Something tells me that they are going to start shipping routers and switches preloaded with a GUI much like their linksys line.
    wow... I finally got it running. Luckily I have an xp box too, so I didn't have to go through the hassle of loading a VM. BUT, it is slow as molasses!!! It could be my router, but geez. It took about 3 minutes for it to come up. It didn't even show the "loading page" icon at the top for that time. Oh well... at least its working now.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    SDM is End of Life.. It's been/being replaced by the CCP Cisco Configuration profession.. little less buggy.

Why the SDM is still shown the CCNA: Security is beyond me.

(I've had relatively good luck with 1.6_11)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Interesting indeed. I watched the little video that they have on CCP and it looks very similar to SDM. I wonder if i'd be able to use it on my 2610xm...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    I wonder if i'd be able to use it on my 2610xm...

No.

Release Notes for Cisco Configuration Professional 2.1 [Cisco Configuration Professional] - Cisco Systems

ISR routers:
    Cisco 800 Series
    Cisco 1800 Series
    Cisco 2800 Series
    Cisco 3800 Series
    Cisco 7000 Series

ISR-G2 routers:
    Cisco 800 Series
    Cisco 1900 Series
    Cisco 2900 Series
    Cisco 3900 Series
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!