Options

Windows 7 has CDP for ipv6 ???

NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just kidding, but my Windows 7 box did add a static ipv6 address automatically after I implemented ipv6 on my 2 3640's.

And I set everything up statically on my 2 Ciscos

And the W7 box uses DHCP for ipv4

I am thinking that my Intel NIC is the "culprit" because my W2K8 server did not add an ipv6 addy (it has an ipv6 capable Asus NIC).

Anyway, Merry Christmas (2 more days) everybody!

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its IPv6 ND and it is a standard part of IPv6. Your NIC has nothing to do with it. There isn't a special IPv6 NIC unless you've got TOE cards.
  • Options
    Never mind, I wasn't looking at my config right. Too much eggnog maybe?

:)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Never mind, I wasn't looking at my config right. Too much eggnog maybe?
    Bleh. Eggnog tastes nasty.

IPv6 ND is enough if you're okay with the stateless autoconfiguration system and what it can set. For Windows workstations, the default is that it picks up your prefix from ND and then it will randomly generate the rest of the IPv6 address to use as a "security" measure. From the Windows machines here, it appears to regenerate this address when you reboot or the interface goes down/up. You need to specifically tell Windows that you want the IPv6 address to be a EUI-64 one based on the MAC of the network interface.

If you want more control over the addressing and/or other parameters then you'd implement DHCPv6 for your network.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Bleh. Eggnog tastes nasty.

I totally agree, it was a Christmas joke as Eggnog with rum is very popular in the USA around this time of year. I drink Jamesons, Vodka, and Corona. Back in the day I drank Schmidt's but our local brewery closed down ages ago.
    tiersten wrote: »
    IPv6 ND is enough if you're okay with the stateless autoconfiguration system and what it can set. For Windows workstations, the default is that it picks up your prefix from ND and then it will randomly generate the rest of the IPv6 address to use as a "security" measure. From the Windows machines here, it appears to regenerate this address when you reboot or the interface goes down/up. You need to specifically tell Windows that you want the IPv6 address to be a EUI-64 one based on the MAC of the network interface.

If you want more control over the addressing and/or other parameters then you'd implement DHCPv6 for your network.

Very cool advice. I am using only static IPv6's, but I am definitely going to configure DHCP at some point as it is one of the objectives for the ROUTE exam. I never bothered with IPv6 as NAT has helped us techs feel no need to work that hard. Anyhow, Merry Christmas to you and yours and thanks for all your hard work on this forum. We of course need good people like you.

icon_mrgreen.gif

:)

icon_thumright.gif