Advice on cert

impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
After I graduated from high school, I decided to get my A+/Net+/Sec+ certs since I used to literally waste my time in school and I thought that it was time to stop playing the fool and get serious. I managed with get those 3 certs under the guidance/suggestions of techexams forum members ( yes I was a lurker ) but now, I'm lost as to how I should proceed.

Basically I was planning to do the CCNA exams for 2011 but I wondered if it made any sense for me to do it now. From what I know, you need to renew your CCNA cert every 3 years and currently, I'm pursuing a Bsc. in Information Technology in my local community college which won't be done until 3 more years. Now, I probably won't find a work until I complete this degree because where I am living, you can't really find a work with just Comptia certs and on top of that I'm 17 - under the working age of 18. With that said, if I do my CCNA now, it will probably expire by the time I'm 20 years old just when I'm about to acquire my IT degree.

So the question is: should pursue for my CCNA cert or wait until I finish my studies in college? I would also like to know what other certs I could look at while I'm pursuing my degree (was looking at SSCP/CEH/CISSP/Microsoft certs/GIAC/Linux+/ITIL)

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    impz wrote: »
    After I graduated from high school, I decided to get my A+/Net+/Sec+ certs since I used to literally waste my time in school and I thought that it was time to stop playing the fool and get serious. I managed with get those 3 certs under the guidance/suggestions of techexams forum members ( yes I was a lurker ) but now, I'm lost as to how I should proceed.

Basically I was planning to do the CCNA exams for 2011 but I wondered if it made any sense for me to do it now. From what I know, you need to renew your CCNA cert every 3 years and currently, I'm pursuing a Bsc. in Information Technology in my local community college which won't be done until 3 more years. Now, I probably won't find a work until I complete this degree because where I am living, you can't really find a work with just Comptia certs and on top of that I'm 17 - under the working age of 18. With that said, if I do my CCNA now, it will probably expire by the time I'm 20 years old just when I'm about to acquire my IT degree.

So the question is: should pursue for my CCNA cert or wait until I finish my studies in college? I would also like to know what other certs I could look at while I'm pursuing my degree (was looking at SSCP/CEH/CISSP/Microsoft certs/GIAC/Linux+/ITIL)

I would go for CCNA its a great foundation of knowledge for someone looking to move into security. CCNA expires? yes, but why not just get ANOTHER Cisco cert in 2 years (say CCNA Security) which renews your CCNA.

I would grab CBT Nuggets for CCNA its great training. CEH requires 2 years experience in the security field, or you have to sit for their expensive class (Several Grand) just an FYI.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does your school offer any Cisco course through the Cisco Network Academy Program? If you can do it as part of your degree, then you can kill two birds with one stone*.

Cisco does make it east to re-certify with the CCNA Specializations (Security, Voice, Wireless) giving you an "new" certification for your resume and re-certifying your existing CCNA.

* Note: I do not advocated the killing of any birds with any weapons -- unless you're a hunter and plan to eat what you kill -- it's just an expression
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Since you don't already have experience, take a look at the new Microsoft Technology Associate exams. They are aimed at Students, technology educators, and entry-level IT staff.

You could do the CCNA now, but to be honest how useful would it be without real practical experience of CISCO kit? There are pro's and con's, and only you can decide whether it fiancially viable at this moment in time.

Why don't you see if you can volunteer in your spare time to gain experience in IT at your local college, school, church, PC repair centre, etc?

-Ken
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

You are a student not an experienced IT professional so you shouldn't even be thinking about CISSP at this stage. Concentrate on your degree and perhaps look at doing the CCNA as you progress through your studies but not at the expense of your classes.
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278

Like already mentioned get your CCNA then in 2 and 1/2 years or sooner if you prefer, take CCNA Security/Voice/etc and it renews your initial CCNA.

I also agree with those that say don't bother with CISSP right now. I would wait until you get some actual experience before attempting to tackle that beast. Use the time now to build up a good foundational knowledge which will be crucial in passing the CISSP or other exams when the time comes. Alot of people skip the foundation and it ends up hurting them further down the line when they attempt to take the CISSP which is unlike any test you have ever taken. You are not going to be able to remember a bunch of facts and pass the CISSP... I relied a ton on the experience of working in the security field for last 5 years to pass....
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    If I could start my life over to your age I'd try to acquire skills and not certs at this stage. Learn a programming language, windows scripting, Linux and work on fixing as much as hardware as you can get your hands on. These are the things that will separate you when you start looking for a job.