What's your NEW MATERIAL daily page count?

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
How many pages can you read in a day covering NEW technical material?

Sure....you can burn through 300 pages in a day of a really good and entertaining novel, but we're talking about I.T. books covering material you don't already know.

I'm up to 33 pages right now for the day and plan to hit 40. It has taken about 3 hours (I have to read slower to understand new things).
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's going to be hard to keep track of the pages. I am going through the Exchange 2010 Unleashed and Pocket Consultant books these days, but I do a healthy amount of reading on msexchange.org and microsoft.com plus other sources of information, so it's only a guess how much I have read in terms of the number of pages. But I can say that I am reading about 30-40 pages a day. Somedays I might read 60 pages then slack off for a few days then pick up again. I think I am on target of 10,000 pages, though it's early days yet. Heck it's still 2010.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I usually only read one chapter per day. Anymore and I can't really retain all of the info.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some days I can do 30, somedays 40-50, some days only 10. How many books do you read at once.
  • mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you including notes? I still have to take notes to absorb stuff, not really at a tech nirvana where I can just suck it all in naturally yet. So about a chapter a day per subject, which is two right now.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I suppose a daily page count is not all that important so much as that you consistently study, but the replies make me feel better. I really felt like I should be able to knock out 100 pages a day, getting through my ICND1 book in less than a week.
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    ehnde wrote: »
    I suppose a daily page count is not all that important so much as that you consistently study, but the replies make me feel better. I really felt like I should be able to knock out 100 pages a day, getting through my ICND1 book in less than a week.

Its definitely possible if you had the time or the speed reading capabilities. But then how much would you actually comprehend and/or remember. Personally i save the speed reading for leisure reading and slow down when i would like to remember most if not all i read.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've got Murach's C# 2010 that I've been working through lately as well as a few Hyper-V books. Some days I get 0 pages in and others I can get 40-70. It depends upon how much of it I am actively trying out. Whenever going through tech books I don't read every page either, I focus on the sections of interest and gloss over the ones that I already know. Much more time is spent in the lab than in a book really and supplemented with some Google searches.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually only read one chapter per day. Anymore and I can't really retain all of the info.
    I'm the same.

I figure 1 chapter (allowing about 3 hours) a day is a sustainable pace.

If you take a break, you may be able to up it to 2 chapters on the weekend -- but then you risk cutting into dedicated lab and notes rewrite/review time.

You do start to enter the Realm of Crazy when you kick up to 2 chapters a day -- every day. But for the people between jobs who are doing a quick burst to get another line or two on the resume, I guess it's possible. Same if you're already familiar with the material and just need some review for the exam(s).

I have done 3 chapters in one day 3 times in my life -- and 6 of those chapters were a Saturday and Sunday in the same weekend. The fact that I could still pick out the exact dates of that weekend on a calendar should give you an idea of how memorable that feat is. And the fact I intend to never do that again should tell you how enjoyable it really was.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That explains the weird networking dreams I've been having.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    (I have to read slower to understand new things).

This is gonna be my issue for reaching the target. Anyone can speed read, but not a lot will be learnt. Also, just don't have 3x hours a day for studying. In fact, I should be bed right now in order to make it to the gym tomorrow.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Usually knock out a chapter a day. More than that and I go cross eyed.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    .273 ppd. I've gotten slack.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I average 75-85 a day without notes 50 per day with notes. I take notes using voice dictation. Pleasure reading is done on the weekend via a nook and that is normally speed reading. I do not watch TV and the nook works great on my recumbent. I get the news via the inter-web since anything of note has been condensed to a video anyway.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Depends on the material but I max out at probably 120 a day.