Over Qualified? Wot?!

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
A friend of mine said he got turned down from jobs because he was Over Qualified!
Hes not got that much qualifications compared with some people just got the basics MCP Comptia Three and CCENT but hes getting this happen to him. Thats the excuse any way
so how would you deal with that?
I suggested that he should just say that hes got the A Plus and Network Plus and leave the rest out if its for a lower level job just dont mention the other certs decide whether to keep or omit them from your CV etc.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably just an excuse when they didn't want to hire your friend for another reason. Either that or they thought he had too many certifications to go with his experience level. Either way, I'd just move on and keep looking with what I had.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Its more or less an excuse. But what I've found out from HR people is that. When they usually say that, what they REALLY mean is..."A:Yes, you are over qualified, B: No, im not going to give you the job, C: Because, since your over qualified you will probably move on as soon as something better comes along. Then i will have to go out and hire/find someone else to fill this position" So instead, they opt to move on and avoid the "frustration"(pure laziness in my eyes) of doing the hiring process more than they already have to.

My advice, is if your friend is getting this often. Maybe they should up the type of jobs they apply for. Because honestly, if you get hired for a job you are overqualified for, your going to leave it the first chance you get, or aim to be promoted almost immediately.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I agree with the above post. HR people lie often, so the actual reason is probably one of the "multiple choice reasons listed above icon_lol.gif
    Because, since your over qualified you will probably move on as soon as something better comes along.

This is one of the reasons you ask the interviewer questions about the company based on the research you did before your interview. Not dumb questions. Ask what would give an impression of genuine interest. Also ask about the people you'd be working with.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Nothing new here. A good chunk of job seekers have been getting this for the past year or so.

In all seriousness, extremely well qualified people are more likely to demand more salary and get bored quicker...requiring the position to be filled again in a shorter time than the employer would prefer.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think much has changed since you had the same problem of being over qualified -- so I'll just use the same answer:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/60674-industry-has-become-elitest-society.html#post476489
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I don't think much has changed since you had the same problem of being over qualified -- so I'll just use the same answer:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/60674-industry-has-become-elitest-society.html#post476489
    haha is he posting the same thing as before?

Seriously, those certs are basics/ foundation. It's not CCNP, CCIE, CISSP, nor MCITP -EA .
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    What is his experience? In my eyes certifications really don't get your "overqualified", but experience can.

A lot of companies would rather find that person who knows very little (will work for next to nothing) and they will teach them what they need to know. As stated above a lot of help desk jobs are very scripted in what they do and depending on the organizational structure may require very little technical ability (Even though to an outsider it doesn't seem that way).

If he just has certifications he is not overqualified. And he should be selling himself in the right light if he has no experience, but several certifications. What I mean by this is saying in the interview "I realize I have no experience, but I do have several certifications and I just hope you see that as my eagerness to learn" You know something of the sort.....

Lastly, if he has no experience ONLY certifications he will have a hard time asking for more than the bare min. So if he his asking for 5/hour more than his competition which have no certs he'll likely lose out.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over Qualified is a bonus to the job. Nobody will turn them down. However, if you are experience worker and seeking a junior position; then it's a completed different story. HR people train to do a job, but without breaking the law.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    hehe keep posting maybe some one will tell you what you want to hear eventually icon_thumright.gif No matter how qualified you may be/think you are, any job you take there will be new things to learn . Good luck dude
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures