Novell's Suse Admin Guide

I haven't started reading it, but Novell Admin guide looks promising:

Novell Doc: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server - Table of Contents

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Their documentation is well organized and better than Red Hat's.... unfortunately their distro isn't as widely used.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Their documentation is well organized and better than Red Hat's.... unfortunately their distro isn't as widely used.

When you say it isn't widely used, I did a search on most popular Linux distros and OpenSuse was near the top.
    It isn't widely used in the Enterprise. I have noticed that it's more common to find SUSE in the enterprise in Europe more than in the States.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It isn't widely used in the Enterprise. I have noticed that it's more common to find SUSE in the enterprise in Europe more than in the States.

Agreed and even there I see many corporations moving to RHEL.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology

I have nver used Suse. My last job used RH, this one uses Solaris. I printed out roughly 1/3 of the admin manual. As you stated previously, it seems to be well organized. I am going to you Suse to try and get my Linux+ cert and then hopefully on to LPI ,2 and 3. I actually have OpenSuse, but I figure it will be close enough. I was able to tinker with CentOS and Fedora easily enough after working with RH.
    My biggest issue with SUSE is the weird way that certain things works. Like the firewall start/stop is different from RHEL and Ubuntu. I think having distros is a good thing, however there are just too many to go around.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My largest complaint with SUSE is the way it handles PXE boots instead of using Kickstart files which are clean and easy to quickly configure I have to use autoyast.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    My largest complaint with SUSE is the way it handles PXE boots instead of using Kickstart files which are clean and easy to quickly configure I have to use autoyast.

But never set up a Kickstart server, someone else always did that. I managed to get things almost setup using Cobbler, but still had some problems. Now I don't have the setup to experiment with. I took a job out of state and only brought the bare minimum with me.