Anyone worked for AOL

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with AOL( Tech support).

I have a job interview on Tuesday and was just wondering if anyone is working for them or was working for them.

Any insights would be great

Thanks
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked Tech support at Bellsouth for DSL, Not a bad gig, you learn A LOT about windows. YOu will learn enough in a half year time to take and pass the 270, 271, and 272 without much study.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Cheers,

Thanks for the reply. :D
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I worked at AOL for 6 years doing a bit of every flavor of Customer Service. Most of that time was spent doing Windows Tech support for dialup and DSL.

I disagree with filkenjitsu - working with Bellsouth DSL might allow you to learn enough in 6 months to pass some of the Microsoft exams, but there is no way that you will learn all that just by working for AOL tech support. In fact, what you learn at AOL will barely touch the tip of the iceberg if you are interested in pursuing your MCSA/MCSE.

Before about 2000, AOL relied much more on their technicians to think for themselves and be creative in their troubleshooting technique. Currently, they rely on a case based reasoning tool which can be used by almost anyone - regardless of your skill level. Additionally, deviation from the tool is discouraged.

You would have a good opportunity to hone your customer service skills as well as practice phone technical support with lots of practice - and you would learn a lot about the AOL software and some tidbits about Windows, but much of what you do is proprietary to AOL and will not help you much in your technical career.
    Hi mwgood,

Thanks for the reply,and insight into AOL.

All suggestions are taken onboard

Regards

Eamonn :D
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    i wouldnt work for them by my experiance, i get alot of there fob offs about modem and Broadband problems, it sounds like half the ppl there are work shy and affraid to do some proper diagnosis and blame it on the computer so back to us it comes.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    ppl there are work shy and affraid to do some proper diagnosis and blame it on the computer so back to us it comes.

That's most tech support for you. Verizon is the worst. I had them insisting that they scanned my PC and that I had a virus, which was why my ping was constantly jumping up to around 500ms.
    end of the day it the people that they employe, for me i like to make sure the job is done and it give you a feeling that you made that persons day, others just want a quick buck, roll on the next sucker to fob off, but it happens at my call center too, some of the previous call notes on the system by the previous call agent can be terriable or even to the point where they dont register them into the system.
    Thanks RobsonGTO,/usr for the insight.

Much appreciated

Regards

Eamonn :)
    How did the job interview go anyhow? or is it this tuesday?

end of the day its a job and can get you into the IT industry, ive spent my 2 years at a call center and its time to move on :D
    Hi RobsonGTO,

I will be going for the interveiw tomorrow,and i 'll see what they have on offer.

I'll let you know tomorrow evening.

I have to start somewhere,"get my foot in the door so to speak"

Regards

Eamonn
    Good luck dude :D
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    How did it go?
    What kind of questions did they ask?
    Did you write a test?

I had a thread awhile back for regards when I got into DLink. If you check back far enough, you should be able to find it. I would of posted it but it seems you already had your interview date.

I'm also "trying to get my foot into the door/IT field"
    This is my first job not requiring excessive labour work or serving fast food.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
    Hi Spfdz,

I went last Tuesday, they are going to let me know.

However i don't think i will take it as the salary is alot lower than i thought and i would have to move area.

Basically talking to customer's over the phone in relation to the companies software.

I don't think it's a path that i want to take.

Regards

Eamonn