Should I buy a voucher? *URGENT*

capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys. I really really really would like to pass this before the end of the year. As part of the program I'm in, we get free vouchers for exams through revenue earned refurbishing and selling computers. To get a voucher, you need to complete a minimum number of simulated exams with a passing score. I just finished those. Now, places around here are booking like crazy. My preferred testing center is booked, but there is this other place I have heard is just as good that I am told has some spots open. Now, I'm really scared. I don't know how long it will take to get the free voucher, I don't want everywhere to book up by the time I get to schedule it. So I'm thinking I could maybe buy a voucher, but 165 bucks is a lot of money for me. I'm sure you all are aware of the consequences if I can't schedule and pass this year. I really would like to be certified for life and I really do not want to waste time studying for a new test. So, should I buy a voucher and be certain? Or should I wait for the free one and just hope? Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off, hello fellow Marylander :).

My honest opinion is to go for it only if you are fully confident that you understand the material thoroughly and will have no problems with the objectives. Make sure to ask the prometric/pearson buyer the exact timeline for the voucher's arrival. You might want to check getcertify4less or one of the other discount online vendors (I've tried getceritfy4less once and got a valid key the next day).

Overall, this is not a test to be underestimated by any means.

Though the lifetime status does bring ROI and extra flexibility in terms of retention (lapse in CE program for example), its definitely not worth it to rush this test if you're not ready. It is very possible to crush practice exams and go in and fail and vice versa.
  • capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First off, hello fellow Marylander :).

My honest opinion is to go for it only if you are fully confident that you understand the material thoroughly and will have no problems with the objectives. Make sure to ask the prometric/pearson buyer the exact timeline for the voucher's arrival. You might want to check getcertify4less or one of the other discount online vendors (I've tried getceritfy4less once and got a valid key the next day).

Overall, this is not a test to be underestimated by any means.

Though the lifetime status does bring ROI and extra flexibility in terms of retention (lapse in CE program for example), its definitely not worth it to rush this test if you're not ready. It is very possible to crush practice exams and go in and fail and vice versa.

I appreciate your advice, but I think I will take my chances on the free voucher. There's a testing center in Largo that's got openings for the 30th as of writing this, and even though it's a bit of a drive from where I am, I can handle it. I don't think it will fill up anyways, PG doesn't exactly have smartest people (I apologize to anyone from PG).
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I agree with rogue2shadow. Don't rush it. I am sure the test changes will not be day and night.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm just curious how you are prepping for the exam. If you are using a site that will show up as a bunch of asterisks (*) then your Security+ cert (lifetime or no) will be useless.

Just friendly advice. Forty-five minutes from this post will be nine days until the deadline...then it's Security+ CE. That may, or may not be such a bad thing. Just keep that in mind.
    Sorry I didn't say this earlier, but the head of our program emailed me the voucher info a few hours after I emailed him and I managed to schedule for 2:30 on the 30th.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm just curious how you are prepping for the exam. If you are using a site that will show up as a bunch of asterisks (*) then your Security+ cert (lifetime or no) will be useless.

Just friendly advice. Forty-five minutes from this post will be nine days until the deadline...then it's Security+ CE. That may, or may not be such a bad thing. Just keep that in mind.

I am using Darril Gibson's book, a website our program uses called "CramMaster", the pdfs that come with that access (so essentially two more books), and a short study guide I plan to review the day of.

So far I am 2 chapters from finishing Darril's book. I plan on reading chapter 9 now, and then I plan on reading the last chapter tomorrow. Then I will read all of the short study guide pdfs.

On the 29th, I plan on reading the longer ExamCram chapter pdfs for the sections I'm weaker in, and then before bed, reading all of the short ExamForce study guide pdfs to review everything I've studied.

The morning of the test, I plan on going through Darril Gibson's book and I will read all of the Exam Topic Review sections for each chapter. Then I will, once again, read the ExamForce study guide pdfs. I will also print out that short 15 minute study guide pdf I was emailed and read it on the way to the test, and probably print out some of the ExamForce study guide pdfs for the sections I am weaker in.

That is my study plan. Is it sufficient or is the test really THAT hard? Also, I don't quite understand your comment about asterisks. Could you elaborate?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, I don't quite understand your comment about asterisks. Could you elaborate?

If media is deemed a "braindump", it will be displayed as "********" within the user's comment. Certgaurd.com is a common site used to verify whether or not an online source is a braindump.
    If media is deemed a "braindump", it will be displayed as "********" within the user's comment. Certgaurd.com is a common site used to verify whether or not an online source is a braindump.

Ah. Well, I am definitely not using braindumps. Out of curiosity, how are braindumps useful exactly? I mean, sure, they are questions that actually appear on the test, but for them to actually be useful at all wouldn't you have to memorize the answers to thousands of different questions? I mean the pool of questions is enormous.
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Ah. Well, I am definitely not using braindumps. Out of curiosity, how are braindumps useful exactly? I mean, sure, they are questions that actually appear on the test, but for them to actually be useful at all wouldn't you have to memorize the answers to thousands of different questions? I mean the pool of questions is enormous.

They aren't useful at all. In fact, they hurt since people are more likely trying to memorize the questions instead of trying to know/learn the material.