RHCE or LPIC ?

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of advice. I'm looking to dive deep into the Linux world after spending years as a Windows administrator. My ultimate goal would is to obtain my RHCEv6, but I have little to no experience with Linux. Would it be worth my while to go for my LPIC first to get the knowledge and then switch over to the RHCE track ? Or would it be better to simply go straight for the RHCE?

Thanks,

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think RHCE is asking too much to start. Knock out LPI 1 first and see where you are at that point. RHCE is pretty high end.
    -Daniel
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I think RHCE is asking too much to start. Knock out LPI 1 first and see where you are at that point. RHCE is pretty high end.

Thanks thats the information I was looking for. I didn't know if there was a lower track provided by Red Hat I could follow that would lead up to the RHCE, but it sounds like even the lowest cert is still pretty far out of my reach at this point.

Thanks,
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Red Hats lowest one is now the RHCSA, which may be possible as a beginning cert, but I think LPIC would be the best route to begin with.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LPIC1 is a great start. It won't get you close to an RHCE, but it'll get you familiar with it. Diving into RHEL6 for a few months while taking one or two of Red Hat's classes would be the best bet for you seeing as you are starting from ground zero.

LPIC-1 really gets you past Red Hat's basic class (RH124) and they have 2 more on the road to the RHCE (135, 255) or you could just take the RH300 class but they cram so much stuff in 4 days it'll be hard to absorb it all.

Also it helps if you dedicate a personal machine to Fedora or something like that so you are using some of the tools and commands on a daily basis.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    /pub/beer/ wrote: »
    LPIC1 is a great start. It won't get you close to an RHCE, but it'll get you familiar with it. Diving into RHEL6 for a few months while taking one or two of Red Hat's classes would be the best bet for you seeing as you are starting from ground zero.

LPIC-1 really gets you past Red Hat's basic class (RH124) and they have 2 more on the road to the RHCE (135, 255) or you could just take the RH300 class but they cram so much stuff in 4 days it'll be hard to absorb it all.

Also it helps if you dedicate a personal machine to Fedora or something like that so you are using some of the tools and commands on a daily basis.

I'm really not looking to get my RHCE to hang on my wall I'm looking to gain the experience from it, so taking a class to cram the info will do me no good. I typically only go for certifications to gain that knowledge and if I set a goal for myself like obtaining xyz cert it forces me to learn the material. Its just an added bonus that the cert I obtain is also helping me get a better job.

I'm using XenClient to switch between my Ubuntu desktop and my windows 7 desktop. Its a great way to get my feet wet and still be able to get my job done.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if redhat is where ya want to go ditch ubuntu (i love ubuntu) and install a redhat/fedora/centos and start your learning there
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with the LPIC suggestions. If you pass the LPIC-1 exams then you shouldn't have too much trouble taking on the RHCSA shortly thereafter.
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Nightshade03

Any news about your book ?