Taking Exam in less than 2 hours...

pennstate22pennstate22 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
wow i am nervous about this exam...i used darril gibsons book and some sybex for this and i feel ready but i am nervous since i see some people talking about the wording being tricky on the questions so i hope i do not second guess myself too much

here goes nothing!

Comments

• michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    wow i am nervous about this exam...i used darril gibsons book and some sybex for this and i feel ready but i am nervous since i see some people talking about the wording being tricky on the questions so i hope i do not second guess myself too much

here goes nothing!

good luck.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Breathe....lol.

Good luck man...you'll do fine. You went to Penn State, g'darn it! icon_razz.gif
  • pennstate22pennstate22 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Breathe....lol.

Good luck man...you'll do fine. You went to Penn State, g'darn it! icon_razz.gif

haha thanks man but i just graduated last may and most of the security + info is newer to me and i have no experience so I am nervous about it but we will see how it goes i feel like i understand darrils book well enough to pass hopefully!
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    haha thanks man but i just graduated last may and most of the security + info is newer to me and i have no experience so I am nervous about it but we will see how it goes i feel like i understand darrils book well enough to pass hopefully!

Any understanding of darril's book is good enough to pass. Not one person that I have seen so far has failed when using that book.

Don't worry about the wording, its not as bad as some people lead you to believe, just read the WHOLE question, answer it, then read it again and make sure the answer you chose still fits. Once you move from the question try not to change the answer again, you can always talk yourself out of or into ANY answer, it's best to leave it as you first answered it. That said. Good luck, i know youll do fine. I look forward to a pass post here in the next few hours. =D
    Any understanding of darril's book is good enough to pass. Not one person that I have seen so far has failed when using that book.

Don't worry about the wording, its not as bad as some people lead you to believe, just read the WHOLE question, answer it, then read it again and make sure the answer you chose still fits. Once you move from the question try not to change the answer again, you can always talk yourself out of or into ANY answer, it's best to leave it as you first answered it. That said. Good luck, i know youll do fine. I look forward to a pass post here in the next few hours. =D

thank you so much for the kind words of advice. I am slowly feeling more confident and i hope i can have a pass post in a few hours!

Graduating from Penn State is very impressive. The fact that you graduated from a school that is known for parties, booze, women, and football is a very impressive feat. If you can do that, going through DG's book and passing Sec+ in one shot will be a breeze for you. If someone is going to fail from reading DG's book....you're not that guy. icon_cool.gif

Bring back the pass, you Nittany Lion you...:)
  • BOTLFED1BOTLFED1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

here goes nothing!

Good Luck! I just passed mine last month. I'm sure you will do fine...oh wait, you are taking it now I think...the answer to #34 is D!
    Graduating from Penn State is very impressive. The fact that you graduated from a school that is known for parties, booze, women, and football is a very impressive feat. If you can do that, going through DG's book and passing Sec+ in one shot will be a breeze for you. If someone is going to fail from reading DG's book....you're not that guy. icon_cool.gif

Bring back the pass, you Nittany Lion you...:)

hahaha i like how you put that

I PASSED WITH A 781!!!!! and i know some people would be disappointed with that score but a pass is a pass and i dont have experience with this stuff so thank you Darril Gibson you are the man and you really do need to understand the concepts not just memorizing terms.

I hope I now can use the A+, NET+, Sec + and my psu education to get my an entry level job somewhere. If anyone has any tips on companies to look into or anything I would really appreciate it. And thanks to everyone on here for all the advice and help this forum is amazing!!!
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I passed with a 791.

Keep in mind a 750 is like 84%.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Congrats! I passed with a 791.

Keep in mind a 750 is like 84%.

83%...(750/900)100 icon_cool.gif

I PASSED WITH A 781!!!!! and i know some people would be disappointed with that score but a pass is a pass and i dont have experience with this stuff so thank you Darril Gibson you are the man and you really do need to understand the concepts not just memorizing terms.

I hope I now can use the A+, NET+, Sec + and my psu education to get my an entry level job somewhere. If anyone has any tips on companies to look into or anything I would really appreciate it. And thanks to everyone on here for all the advice and help this forum is amazing!!!

Well Done!! Congrats on beating the clock. Dude, anyone with a bachelor's from Penn State on their resume plus those certs to boot should have no problem getting a job. If you need help with your resume, contact Penn State's Career Services department (it was paid for....might as well use them) and then post your resume in the IT/Degrees section to have it looked at. At the very least, a half-baked recruiter will place you in your first IT job where you can just chill for a couple of years before you are ready for prime time.

Remember, you got guys like me that don't have a tenth of a Penn State degree that have made it to IT employment. If you want it bad enough, you really should have no problem.

Congratulations and welcome to the club! (Your score means crap...it's all about the pass!!!) icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    Well Done!! Congrats on beating the clock. Dude, anyone with a bachelor's from Penn State on their resume plus those certs to boot should have no problem getting a job. If you need help with your resume, contact Penn State's Career Services department (it was paid for....might as well use them) and then post your resume in the IT/Degrees section to have it looked at. At the very least, a half-baked recruiter will place you in your first IT job where you can just chill for a couple of years before you are ready for prime time.

Remember, you got guys like me that don't have a tenth of a Penn State degree that have made it to IT employment. If you want it bad enough, you really should have no problem.

Congratulations and welcome to the club! (Your score means crap...it's all about the pass!!!) icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif

Thanks so much for the advice. I feel like I put myself in a good position to get an entry level job and start my IT career. My biggest issue is just finding the jobs available for newbies in the IT field. I will try the usual online searching on multiple websites and trying to network with people. If anyone has any advice for a newbie like me finding jobs i would appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks!
    Thanks so much for the advice. I feel like I put myself in a good position to get an entry level job and start my IT career. My biggest issue is just finding the jobs available for newbies in the IT field. I will try the usual online searching on multiple websites and trying to network with people. If anyone has any advice for a newbie like me finding jobs i would appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks!

Are you willing to leave Ohio, if you had to? Don't forget about LinkedIn.com too.
    Are you willing to leave Ohio, if you had to? Don't forget about LinkedIn.com too.

Yes I am actually looking to relocate outside of Ohio mostly towards the NorthEast further up into NY, PA, MASS, VA, MD, NJ around there
    Yes I am actually looking to relocate outside of Ohio mostly towards the NorthEast further up into NY, PA, MASS, VA, MD, NJ around there

Man, you'll be fine. Have fun in your quest.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

On your resume I would advertise that you are Department of Defense Directive (DoDD) 8570 IAT II, and IAM I compliant. This will help if your goal is to move into security. Showing not only that you know about DoDD 8570, but have a level of compliance should help you stand out.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The DC/MD/VA area is full of IT jobs. Shouldnt be too difficult to pick something up.
    ibcritn wrote: »
    On your resume I would advertise that you are Department of Defense Directive (DoDD) 8570 IAT II, and IAM I compliant. This will help if your goal is to move into security. Showing not only that you know about DoDD 8570, but have a level of compliance should help you stand out.

Thanks I will take that advice into consideration. Would you have any recommendation on where I would put that on there or what category that would go under?

thanks!
  • ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□

Do you have to have prior military experience in order to put those on your resume? I was in the Army Reserves (never touched a computer in there, go figure).
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185

Is that all you need for IAT II and IAM I? From what I'm reading you need GSEC, SCNP and SSCP (in addition to Security+) to be IAT II compliant. And GISF and GSLC (in addition to Security+) for IAM I. But I could be (and hopefully am because I want to get into security) wrong.
    Is that all you need for IAT II and IAM I? From what I'm reading you need GSEC, SCNP and SSCP (in addition to Security+) to be IAT II compliant. And GISF and GSLC (in addition to Security+) for IAM I. But I could be (and hopefully am because I want to get into security) wrong.

From my understanding those are all certifications that qualify for that level, but only one is required.

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats on the pass.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

so anyone with Security+ can put that on their resume?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    "Information Assurance Technicians must certify in one IA certification and one OS certification to comply with DoD 8570.1"

https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_iat_flow.htm

ignore the Cert error.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
    michaelcox wrote: »
    "Information Assurance Technicians must certify in one IA certification and one OS certification to comply with DoD 8570.1"

https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_iat_flow.htm

ignore the Cert error.

Good information!