Iphone Verizon?

ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know its not official, but nobody can deny all the chit-chat going on the Internet about the Iphone coming to Verizon sometime in early January.

So who wants to get one who has Verizon? Who already has one on AT&T and is going to switch to Verizon? Who has neither but is going to get an Iphone on Verizon when and if it comes out?

Comments

• Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I have never had a problem with Verizon's service. I've been using my same old alias for the past 2+ years.

If an iphone does come to verizon.... my long overdue upgrade would definitely be in order ;)
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    My Droid X does everything I want, so I have no reason to go iPhone. I had a 3g 16gb one about 2 years ago, and it was "ok". I prefer Android-based phones now.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While I'm happy with Verizon's mobile phone service, their data plan pricing sucks -- which is why I haven't upgraded to an Android phone. Last time I checked it was a 5 Gig cap and tethering (if you didn't want to "steal it") was an additional charge and the data usage still came out of the original 5 Gigs. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll stick with my old phone and and use my Virgin Mobile MiFi mobile hotspot to support my iPod Touch with Skype (and 2 phone numbers), both my Android tablets, my Kindle 3rd Gen WiFI, my Netbook, and my Laptops when I'm not at home.

Now if they actually did offer an unlimited data plan on a 4G (or better) network with free tethering for about $40-50 I'd get it. But considering the "deals" they're pushing on iPads and the MiFi Hotspot no contract $20 for 1 Gig offers, I doubt they'll offer anything reasonable anytime soon.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Verizon has an unlimited data plan for $29.99/month according to their website:
    Frequntly Asked Plan & Usage Questions

I believe its AT&T that has got rid of their unlimited data plan except for customers with current unlimited plans they are grandfathered, however going forward I think they will only offer highest 2 GB for $25/month according to their website:
    Data Plans with Wi-Fi - DataPlus & DataPro Plan - Wireless from AT&T

This is for Data plans only not for unlimited data/text/voice package.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I switched from AT&T to Verizon and moved to Android. I think its ok, there are things I like but I am not a big fan of the fragmentation of the Android OS. Apps work on some phones not on others, I learned to check the comment sections before I purchase an app. My wife does not care for the Android OS. One thing that is ticking me off is Verizon pushing stuff on my phone. I get there are some core apps that need/should be there but the last update put a few Verizon apps that I can only uninstall when I rooted my phone. My wife's cousin has the EVO 4G and Sprint pushed some Sprint apps yesterday to her phone. My wife will come over to Verizon once they get the iPhone.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I think those rumors have been around for few years now. If this ever happens, it might be a bit late.
    All those who speculate on the switch seem to forget a very simple fact: AT&T is a GSM carrier and all its phones are hence GSM. Verizon on the other hand is CDMA carrier. In order for iPhone to work on Verizon, it has to be totally reworked and I just don't see how anyone at Apple that decides on all things tech (that would be Jobs, ultimately) would commit on such an endevour. Switch to T-Mobile looks like a much more logical move if Apple ever decides to switch carriers AND if any other carrier is interested to include iPhone on its roster under Apple's conditions.
    And no, I wouldn't switch to iPhone. My BlackBerry does all the tricks I need for now. When RIM's tablet comes out I consider getting one and that would be all I plan for my mobile computing needs.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I've got a Moto Droid and it's ok. For a phone, it is a good competitor to the iphone. However, because they do so much more, the comparison ends there for me. In the "everything else" category, the iphone blows the droid out of the water...primarily because of how useful itunes is versus the droid market. The droid market is flooded with crappy apps, with just a few that are worthy. iTunes is just miles ahead.

Being that my droid is a lousy mp3 player - it cant really shuffle, i dont like it for music at all.

If the iphone comes to verizon, i'll pay my upgrade fee to get rid of the droid so i can just carry 1 device instead of keeping my ipod touch too.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I still wonder why the iPhone wouldn't go to Sprint. Verizon is seriously in bed with Android devices, in if the iPhone came on board, you'd think the Android handset makers would be less than happy as you'd think more people would go for the iPhone vs Android.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    brad- wrote: »
    primarily because of how useful itunes is versus the droid market. The droid market is flooded with crappy apps, with just a few that are worthy. iTunes is just miles ahead.
    The Apple App Store had headstart over the Android Market. Most of the major apps are getting Android verions made now because of the popularity of Android phones so it will only get better. Both stores are full of crappy apps though :P
    brad- wrote: »
    Being that my droid is a lousy mp3 player - it cant really shuffle, i dont like it for music at all.
    You can use a third party music player. Try DoubleTwist.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Last time I checked it was a 5 Gig cap and tethering (if you didn't want to "steal it") was an additional charge and the data usage still came out of the original 5 Gigs. icon_rolleyes.gif
    5GB isn't enough in a month if you're not tethering? I only use around 1GB a month without tethering but I don't stream any video over 3G as most places I go to have WiFi.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Now if they actually did offer an unlimited data plan on a 4G (or better) network with free tethering for about $40-50 I'd get it. But considering the "deals" they're pushing on iPads and the MiFi Hotspot no contract $20 for 1 Gig offers, I doubt they'll offer anything reasonable anytime soon.
    The "unlimited" plans are going away now because the carriers just can't cope with the amount of data people transfer. The old iPhone AT&T plan had "unlimited" data but they changed all the new plans to have a cap. Even the original "unlimited" data plan wasn't quite unlimited as it was unlimited with a fair usage policy which is an oxymoron.
  • SyntaxSyntax Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am someone who has used both the iPhone and currently has an android phone (HTC Evo).

The iPhone is great for the "everyperson" who doesn't like to change anything on their phone. It's easy to use, pretty stable, everything works with it, etc.

That being said, Android is way more customizable and great for power users. If you don't like how something works on Android (on screen keyboard, music player, app launcher, for example), you can CHANGE it. Unlike Apple's iOS, Android is open and has a vast community of developers coming up with apps and modifications to make Android work the way you want it to. If you choose to root Android, then it opens up the possibilities tenfold. (Including the ability to rid yourself of the crappy carrier apps that they push to you)

So it's really up to you to decide what you want out of the phone. As far as there being more apps on the iPhone, there hasn't been one app that I've used on the iPhone that didn't have an android version as well. The iPhone app store has a lot of crappy, useless apps as well imo.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I use iPhone on AT&T and even if the iPhone came to Verizon (which my wife uses), I wouldnt switch. I hate Verizon in my dealings with them on my wife's account for all the times theyve tried to completely bend us over on things. Just to name a couple of things: Not replacing a phone when it was clearly broken and under warranty, and charging us for things we didnt use or sign up for and just hoped we wouldn't notice, and then had to FIGHT with them on the phone for HOURS just to get them to reverse charges. They are a terrible company and we cannot WAIT for my wife's contract to be up so she can go AT&T and get a real phone.
    Syntax wrote: »
    I am someone who has used both the iPhone and currently has an android phone (HTC Evo).

The iPhone is great for the "everyperson" who doesn't like to change anything on their phone. It's easy to use, pretty stable, everything works with it, etc.

That being said, Android is way more customizable and great for power users. If you don't like how something works on Android (on screen keyboard, music player, app launcher, for example), you can CHANGE it. Unlike Apple's iOS, Android is open and has a vast community of developers coming up with apps and modifications to make Android work the way you want it to. If you choose to root Android, then it opens up the possibilities tenfold. (Including the ability to rid yourself of the crappy carrier apps that they push to you)

So it's really up to you to decide what you want out of the phone. As far as there being more apps on the iPhone, there hasn't been one app that I've used on the iPhone that didn't have an android version as well. The iPhone app store has a lot of crappy, useless apps as well imo.

I tend to agree with most of what was said here, but to be fair, you left out the fact that like windows, android is a OS that goes on multiple devices, so it has just as many problems. If i were to have a droid, i would probably root it too, but I always laugh when my friend's rooted droid locks up, autoreboots, or crashes programs when that never happens on iPhone. I dont have a droid phone, and i probably wont ever, simply because its not worth the hassle.

P.S. Moto is garbage. Last GOOD phone they made was the Razr. Heh.

P.P.S Also, i dont EVER see Verizon getting iPhone.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've never had any experience with Verizon, but my dealings with ATT and DSL service were pretty bad.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i switched from at&t (spotty service in alabama at best) to the big v

as i can say the services both digital and personal are better at verizon

now for the phones i like the droid2 over the iphone one of the main reasons i switched
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I always laugh when my friend's rooted droid locks up, autoreboots, or crashes programs when that never happens on iPhone.
    iPhones aren't immune to issues though. There have been several big ones in the past and I know a few people with iPhones which have crashed and then wiped out all of their data. I used an original iPhone for a while and I had a few crashes/reboots as well but no data loss. Same for people with Android and Symbian phones though. Its just that products this complicated are never bug free.
    tiersten wrote: »
    iPhones aren't immune to issues though. There have been several big ones in the past and I know a few people with iPhones which have crashed and then wiped out all of their data. I used an original iPhone for a while and I had a few crashes/reboots as well but no data loss. Same for people with Android and Symbian phones though. Its just that products this complicated are never bug free.

No i agree, they aren't, but the problems are MUCH MUCH fewer and far between than ive seen first hand with android.

I have an iphone, my boss does, and another co worker does, those are three i work closely with. I also support about 35 various iphones for the company, once they are configured, we never see them back unless the user doesnt know how to DO something, or they drop them in water.

I know maybe 6 people with androids, my wife included, and ALL of them ***** at one time or another about having to fight with something to make them work. *shrug*, its not necessarily the phone, its a combination of the OS and the phone. I'm not saying the OS is garbage per se, its a powerful OS that works on a plethora of devices, and its very customizable. i'm just saying for me, in the smartphone realm, i want mine to work, and with iphone, at least in the almost 2 years ive had one, ive never had an issue. And ive done OS upgrades, phone backups, phone restores when getting NEW iphones... etc etc. never a problem. They just work the way they are supposed to for a larger percentage of time then android.

As android matures i would think... and HOPE that thier numbers come more in line with iphone as far as problems, but it will be difficult, apple writes the OS AND designs the hardware. Android doesnt have that luxury.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use iPhone on AT&T and even if the iPhone came to Verizon (which my wife uses), I wouldnt switch. I hate Verizon in my dealings with them on my wife's account for all the times theyve tried to completely bend us over on things. Just to name a couple of things: Not replacing a phone when it was clearly broken and under warranty, and charging us for things we didnt use or sign up for and just hoped we wouldn't notice, and then had to FIGHT with them on the phone for HOURS just to get them to reverse charges. They are a terrible company and we cannot WAIT for my wife's contract to be up so she can go AT&T and get a real phone.

I tend to agree with most of what was said here, but to be fair, you left out the fact that like windows, android is a OS that goes on multiple devices, so it has just as many problems. If i were to have a droid, i would probably root it too, but I always laugh when my friend's rooted droid locks up, autoreboots, or crashes programs when that never happens on iPhone. I dont have a droid phone, and i probably wont ever, simply because its not worth the hassle.

P.S. Moto is garbage. Last GOOD phone they made was the Razr. Heh.

P.P.S Also, i dont EVER see Verizon getting iPhone.

So, I guess you're an Apple fan eh? icon_lol.gif

I've never had an issue with Verizon or my HTC Droid Incredible or any phone I've had on Verizon. Not one lock up or "autoreboot" to speak of.

I'd give the iPhone on Verizon a shot if they have a good deal going. Not worth dropping a lot of money on IMO though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    So, I guess you're an Apple fan eh? icon_lol.gif

I've never had an issue with Verizon or my HTC Droid Incredible or any phone I've had on Verizon. Not one lock up or "autoreboot" to speak of.

I'd give the iPhone on Verizon a shot if they have a good deal going. Not worth dropping a lot of money on IMO though.

Apple FAN? No. iPhone fan? Perhaps.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

I refer to them as the standard smart phone foibles. Each smart phone has them. You don't have a true smart phone unless you have perfected the art of pulling the battery out of the phone and putting it back in while driving. You can't do that with the iphone, when I had one I had to have it replaced twice for what was probably just a battery issue. I switched to VZW and haven't looked back.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Haha, I use all versions of Macs at work, an iMac, Mac Mini, MBP, AirPort Extreme, iPad and AppleTV Gen2 at home. Yet my phone, is a Droid X by choice as well. Yes, I am an Apple shareholder. Yes, I like their products. But in my opinion, and according to my needs, the Droid X trounces the iPhone. AFee&Fee coverage here SUCKS with dropped calls every day. Even if an iPhone came to VZW, I'd stick to my DX simply because it does exactly what I need it to do without any issues.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    5GB isn't enough in a month if you're not tethering?
    Sure. But I'm not going to pay $20-40 a month for each device to access the internet. At that point I'll just wait until I'm sitting at a desk (and getting paid) to respond to emails.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    A Fee&Fee, thats hilarious.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am on a Blackberry Bold through Verizon, but come April.....will finally jump off the BB ship on likely onto a Droid based phone. Rim is just too far behind the times for me and their phones are slow as snot at times.

Not an iPhone fan here. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I am on a Blackberry Bold through Verizon, but come April.....will finally jump off the BB ship on likely onto a Droid based phone. Rim is just too far behind the times for me and their phones are slow as snot at times.

Not an iPhone fan here. ;)

I was on a BB also and more than happy with my switch to a Droid. Much better operating system if you get into more than just corporate email.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I still wonder why the iPhone wouldn't go to Sprint.

A friend was claiming the other day that this was happening, but I doubt it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    A friend was claiming the other day that this was happening, but I doubt it.

I heard that as well and honestly I would be very impressed if they did open up to not only Sprint but all providers. Apple could have the potential to make a ton of money but I think that ATT (and soon Verizon??) probably pay a hefty fee to get the Iphone on their network(s?).

At any rate it wouldn't matter to me, I would still keep my Droid. It can do everything that I need, most stuff I want and still other stuff I don't care about. Plus I have app creator for Android so.....
  • ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just a follow up, but it looks like Iphone to Verizon may happen Tuesday.

Technolog - Verizon iPhone will be announced Tuesday: report
    Just a follow up, but it looks like Iphone to Verizon may happen Tuesday.
    The important part isn't whether its coming to Verizon but whether its going to be a GSM or CDMA phone IMO. CDMA support would mean a complete reworking of the iPhone baseband as the existing radio can only do GSM+UMTS.
    The important part isn't whether its coming to Verizon but whether its going to be a GSM or CDMA phone IMO. CDMA support would mean a complete reworking of the iPhone baseband as the existing radio can only do GSM+UMTS.

If it is staying GSM, it will not be on Verizon, it's that simple. Verizon is CDMA. If it goes CDMA, then it has a chance to be on Verizon.

Why anyone would want to do business with Verizon is beyond my comprehension, but, to each their own.
    Verizon recently joined the GSMA which is the GSM standards organisation.