Free CEH online training

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
Shon Harris announced on Linkedin she is providing a free CEH online course with over 25hours of video. Link Here

Here is a list of the modules:
1. Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing
2. Footprinting and Reconnaissance
3. TCP/IP Basics and Scanning
4. Enumeration and Verification
5. Hacking and Defending Wireless/Modems
6. Hacking and Defending Web Servers
7. Hacking and Defending Web Applications
8. Sniffers and Session Hijacking
9. Hacking and Defending Windows Systems
10. Hacking and Defending Unix Systems
11. Rootkits, Backdoors, Trojans and Tunnels
12. Denial of Service and Botnets
13. Automated Penetration Testing Tools
14. Intrusion Detection Systems
15. Firewalls
16. Honeypots and Honeynets
17. Ethics and Legal Issues

Also, be sure to check out the tools at www.insecure.org they have a top 100 list...some honorable mentions for anyone preparing for CEH are (Nessus, NMap, Snort, Cain & Abel, Metasploit, Tripwire, Hping2, Wireshark, TCPdump, and John the Ripper...to name a few).

I would say know more in-depth about Snort, Nmap, Wireshark, and TCPdump.

I figured id post here for visibility. Hope this helps!
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome! Good look!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent find. Mods might need to make this a sticky.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    tagged for later

now its somethign i can afford todo while in school
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Just a note: accessing these (short and old) video snippets requires giving quite a bit of personal information that will undoubtedly be used for sales & marketing purposes. You will also have access to these videos for only 21 days and (apparently) only on the computer where you first click the registration link that you will be emailed. Access to these videos seems to be controlled via Flash cookies. This means your browser will need to allow Flash cookies to be used, and if you use a Flash cookie cleaner (like the BetterPrivacy add-on in FireFox), you will loose access to the videos and be required to fill out the registration form again.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So basically you are saying in your best Star Wars voice "it's a trap" Considering the subject matter it is also a good lesson in social engineering. However it is not a real trap if you know it is a trap. Thanks to you everyone should now know it. Thanks icon_lol.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Just a note: accessing these (short and old) video snippets requires giving quite a bit of personal information that will undoubtedly be used for sales & marketing purposes. You will also have access to these videos for only 21 days and (apparently) only on the computer where you first click the registration link that you will be emailed. Access to these videos seems to be controlled via Flash cookies. This means your browser will need to allow Flash cookies to be used, and if you use a Flash cookie cleaner (like the BetterPrivacy add-on in FireFox), you will loose access to the videos and be required to fill out the registration form again.

I appreciate you pointing this out. It was certainly not my intention to help them market, but rather to let those interested know of this resource.

These videos are not "a trap." There is no deception involved in the advertising that I can tell.

It's simply a collection of older video snippets used to show people the type and quality of video training materials that LogicalSecurity produces, and will hopefully entice people to buy their current products.

You can choose to fill out the form with the required information or not, but you won't get access to the videos of you don't. You can opt out of receiving marketing literature, so there's no apparent "trap" to fall in to.
    You can choose to fill out the form with the required information or not, but you won't get access to the videos of you don't. You can opt out of receiving marketing literature, so there's no apparent "trap" to fall in to.

Well I have never seen an opt out that actually worked, suddenly your name appears on other unsolicited e-mails saying that they had your permission. Even if you misspelled or abbreviated your name it shows up exactly. So it becomes the endless opt out treadmill. I like Shon and have paid for, or authorized payment for some of her stuff over the years. However one would expect if she is announcing a free 25 hour course that it would be new and not slightly out of date material that has seen better days.

I am not sure what the point is from a marketing standpoint. The lack of full disclosure before one provides needed information is questionable and in my view hints on the edges of social engineering. Why not selected videos that are current? I guess you are not into aging Star Trek memes or appreciate my weird sense of humor. It is the end of the year JD "why so serious".
    TheShadow wrote: »
    I guess you are not into aging Star Trek memes or appreciate my weird sense of humor.
    I think you mean "Star Wars," and your humor doesn't really come through in your writing. Try using more emoticons. icon_wink.gif
    I think you mean "Star Wars," and your humor doesn't really come through in your writing. Try using more emoticons. icon_wink.gif

Roger Roger :):)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    there is a link to access those without providing the info, if the mods dont mind, i'll throw it up.

As for the CEH videos, they appear to be from the new CEH course that will be released by them next year, good material.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    there is a link to access those without providing the info, if the mods dont mind, i'll throw it up.
    I'd prefer you not. TE is not here to provide ways to hack around the access controls of other Web sites. But I'll be interested in you checking if the URL you have works on a computer that didn't click the registration link.
  • incry6tincry6t Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you didn't hack the site to get to those videos, please provide the link. it'll be helpful.
  • jumezurikejumezurike Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a million for your input. Is ethereal not the old name for wireshark?
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    jumezurike wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your input. Is ethereal not the old name for wireshark?

You are correct sir Wireshark did used to be named Ethereal. Wireshark is such a valuable tool. I couldn't imagine living without protocol analyzers :D

• zerocoldzerocold Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□