Options

Network+ as a natural step?

Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I just got my A+ today and am now thinking about what to do next. I'm figuring there's no point doing Security+ until you know how networks work. Would you agree? Is Network+ my next logical step?

If yes, what books, DVDs, online courses, practice tests could you recommend to prepare for it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Ed1975 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I just got my A+ today and am now thinking about what to do next. I'm figuring there's no point doing Security+ until you know how networks work. Would you agree? Is Network+ my next logical step?

If yes, what books, DVDs, online courses, practice tests could you recommend to prepare for it?

Thanks!

There actually isn't a big part of networking in the security plus exam. In Darril Gibson`s book there is one chapter devoted to it and then bits and pieces of networking scattered through out the rest of it.

Taking the A+ will have laid some foundation for the net+ and it will make it easier to pass it. From here, you can go wherever you like.It really just depends on where you are trying to go in the field. But to answer your question, its probably the most common next step but it doesn't have to be. Look at where you are and where you want to be down the road and let that judge which certs to obtain. Eventually you are going to have to pick a vendor.

P.S. It seems Comptia made the test to be taken in sequence because in this order A+->Net+->Security+, there is a lot of overlap.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    Thanks, Dude. Network+ it is :)
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm have and am currently using Sybex's Network+ Study Guide by Todd Lammle. Its very technical and precise but contains WAY too much fluff. its a really good book though, i love it alot and i do understand that he's a best selling Cisco author who does his best to teach us and prepare us for the future. props to him :cheersicon_sad.gifwill def use him for Cisco studies)
    I also got a chance to sit down and read Mike Meyers's Network+ All-in-One. I have to say theres reasons its the majority of techexams.net's favorite guide. Easy understandable writing and good diagrams and pictures. and best of all, NO FLUFF. its a shorter book too!

if i could start all over, id read the mike meyers book. but according to everyone its that or Sybex's. my test is on the thirtieth and i feel very confident.

for video help, i Highly suggest CBT Nuggets if you can afford it or know anyone with it. AND/or Professor Messer's videos at freenetworkplus.com.
    He goes over each exam objective precisely in each of his 44 videos! did i mention it was free? Make sure to pause and take notes when you watch, it really injects the information into your brain. I prefer watching a video before the corresponding chapter of a book.(makes reading ten times quicker)

When reading, make sure to use a highlighter.(tells your brain and makes sure you know what information is important!)
    another tip, Print out the official exam objectives, make sure you learn all of itand check mark or highlight learned topics so you know how youre doing studywise.

i wish you the best of luck on your journey, i know myself that i feel so much more smarter on networking and have learned so so much that i didnt know in the past 3 months! its a great feeling. Keep a good rhythm and study schedule and you'll do great.icon_study.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my Security+ last Tuesday, and my Network+ last Thursday. I got my A+ back in July. I used Darril Gibson's book for Security+ and Todd Lammle's book for Network+, both of which are great books and I highly reccomend them.

Lammle's Network+ actually goes more in depth than it needs to, and covers a lot of material that isn't even part of the exam objectives, but this is not necessarily a bad thing unless you're on a huge time crunch.

I can honestly say that there is no real benefit to getting Network+ before Security+, because as others have said, Security+ does not have much networking stuff on it. If anything, it was More beneficial to have done Security+ first because I didn't need to study the Security sections from the Network+ book because I learned it from the Security book.

Either way, it's a great idea to get both of them and do them in whichever order you feel most comfortable. I simply took Security+ first because I wanted to finish it in 2010 and I had already scheduled my Network+ exam and 2 days before was the only appointment I could get for December 2010.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Guys. I can't afford CBTNuggets but I'm definitely gonna use Meyers' book and Prof Messer.