Just a rehash?

MooshykrisMooshykris Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I am currently taking a Server+ Class in my technical school. The program I am in gears me towards becoming MCSA/MCSE and also highly pushes for becoming A+, Network+, and Security+ certified. However, they also added Server+ as an extra.

My main question is this.

I already am Network+ certified, and as of today, A+ certified.

From what I've seen, Server+ has really taught little more than A+ and Network+ combined. A+ pretty much taught everything there is to know about the hardware of a computer. Network+, as well, has taught most of everything needed to know about the networking side.

On top of that, anything missing, I've had covered in my Microsoft classes.

Basically, what I'm asking. Is this certification really anything more than just a rehash of A+ and Network+ "focused" on servers? Because from what I've learned, the only "extra" server focused things I've learned, common sense shows you if you know your A+ and Net+ stuff.

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a little bit of Security+ in it and some SAN knowledge but not much more than that from what I have seen in the study material before I decided not to do it.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally this is considered inferior to your MCSA/MCSE training. So unless your company is picking up the buck, or requires you to have it, there are better ways to spend your time and money.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Mooshykris wrote: »
    ...Is this certification really anything more than just a rehash of A+ and Network+ "focused" on servers?...

To be honest, the Server+ is geared up towards Servers, like the A+ is geared up towards PC and Network+ is geared up towards networks. I wouldn't say it was a rehash, rather an extension of where the others leave off.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Generally this is considered inferior to your MCSA/MCSE training...

The Server+ covers areas that the MCSA/MCSE doesn't cover (and vice versa), they are both different certs so a direct comparison can't be made. It's like saying which is better, a car or a bike?
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    ...there are better ways to spend your time and money.

Being Server+ (2009) certified as well as being certified from MS and other vendors, I do have to say that while I do like my Server+ cert it is an expensive cert to go for. If it wasn't for the beta exam that I took, I would have had to seriously consider if it would have been finacially viable to pay for it personally. Saying that I'm 90% sure that work would have paid for it as we're a Comptia ACS.
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    There is a little bit of Security+ in it and some SAN knowledge but not much more than that from what I have seen in the study material before I decided not to do it.

There's also server specific hardware in there, that isn't covered in the A+. Plus also virtualisation fundamentals are covered.

-Ken
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    The Server+ covers areas that the MCSA/MCSE doesn't cover (and vice versa), they are both different certs so a direct comparison can't be made. It's like saying which is better, a car or a bike?

Car, obviously. I know it isn't exactly the same stuff, but what is demanded more in the field? I couldn't tell you the last time I saw server+ as a job requirement.

I'm not saying there is no value in having server+, or the knowledge from it. But as far as bang for your buck, it is pretty low on the list.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Server+ seems to have very little value in the field. I have personally looked through a great deal of job ads, requirements, etc as when I was in college I worked closely to help align students with jobs and never saw any demand for Server+.

This is not to say the skills and knowledge you gain from the certification wouldn't be helpful. I can see someone looking to transition from Desktop to server support gaining a lot from studying for it.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Valid points are made from both sides of the argument. From looking at the Server+ objectives, I'm pretty sure I could pass it just with experience. Would I pay money out of my pocket to prove that...heck no! I will and can wait for a beta and then just brush up for that.

If one has an MCSA/MCSE...that person HAS to be familiar with technologies discussed on a Server+ exam to do his/her job....RAID, SANs (and the underlying technologies such as HBAs, SAN switches such as Brocades used in EMC SANs, etc), virtualization (be it Hyper-V or VMWare). Yes the certs are different, but if all a person has is the MCSE cert, but no experience that would give him/her access to the aforementioned tech, then he/she is a paper tiger. Server admins/engineers have to be able to configure RAID at a bare minimum. (As well as know which RAID level to set up and why...)