Options

Newbie Question

I had just installed Windows Server 2008 R2 and am having issues with the graphics drivers. I have a AMD Radeon HD3870 and cannot seem to get the video drivers working for Server 2008 R2. I go through the install process and i even check the install log and it says Success, however, I still don't have Catalyst installed nor do I have the display drivers as I checked in DXDiag. Am I doing something wrong here? I installed the latest drivers for Windows 7 x64

Thanks
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    got it working with 10.7 drivers.
  • Options
    another newbie question. im trying to set up a domain controller and put active directory on my server 2008. trying to add roles to my server, i need to verify that i:

The Administrator has a strong password
    Network settings, such as static IP addresses, are configured
    The latest security updates from Windows update are installed.

the static IP addresses, do they have to be static? because right now i just use DHCP and i think for getting static IP, i have to pay more money to my ISP. am i wrong here?
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey,

Awesome, you sorted out your first question already :)

Now for your second question. It would be good if your could use an IP address from a private subnet for example 192.168.1.0/24 and then use a router to get an IP from your ISP on the outside interface and the private IP on the inside interface. That way you can assign a static IP and also have an internet connection.

Or you could add another NIC, one for the internet and one for your lan.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    Hey,

Awesome, you sorted out your first question already :)

Now for your second question. It would be good if your could use an IP address from a private subnet for example 192.168.1.0/24 and then use a router to get an IP from your ISP on the outside interface and the private IP on the inside interface. That way you can assign a static IP and also have an internet connection.

Or you could add another NIC, one for the internet and one for your lan.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,
    David

hmm. i went ahead and did the install doing DHCP anyway. I do have a private subnet and my computer is 192.168.1.135 and i have this IP as my preferred IP. I have NEVER seen my computer use a different private IP. however i think the IP my ISP provides changes occasionally (not too sure).
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    another newbie question. im trying to set up a domain controller and put active directory on my server 2008. trying to add roles to my server, i need to verify that i:

The Administrator has a strong password
    Network settings, such as static IP addresses, are configured
    The latest security updates from Windows update are installed.

the static IP addresses, do they have to be static? because right now i just use DHCP and i think for getting static IP, i have to pay more money to my ISP. am i wrong here?

Your AD DC does need to have a static address. Do you even have a public IP address on your machine now? What is your set up like now for connecting to your ISP? You likely have a device (cable or DSL modem) pulling an IP address from the ISP and then either that is doing DHCP for your LAN or you have the modem plugged into a wireless router which is doing DHCP. All you need to do is figure out what range of private addresses the device is using and pick a static address in that range. When you set the static IP address I believe you would put 127.0.0.0 as the primary DNS. You'll have to set up DNS when you set up active directory and I think you may need to add the DNS you were using into the forwarders.

I suppose you could exclude some addresses in your wireless router or whatever is doing DHCP so you don't have any conflicts but I've never bothered.
  • Options
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Your AD DC does need to have a static address. Do you even have a public IP address on your machine now? What is your set up like now for connecting to your ISP? You likely have a device (cable or DSL modem) pulling an IP address from the ISP and then either that is doing DHCP for your LAN or you have the modem plugged into a wireless router which is doing DHCP. All you need to do is figure out what range of private addresses the device is using and pick a static address in that range. When you set the static IP address I believe you would put 127.0.0.0 as the primary DNS. You'll have to set up DNS when you set up active directory and I think you may need to add the DNS you were using into the forwarders.

I suppose you could exclude some addresses in your wireless router or whatever is doing DHCP so you don't have any conflicts but I've never bothered.

I use a router right now to split the connection to several computers. is there a guide on how to setup static IP on router? i also assume this won't cost me more money from my ISP right?
  • Options
    I use a router right now to split the connection to several computers. is there a guide on how to setup static IP on router? i also assume this won't cost me more money from my ISP right?

You don't set up a static IP on your router. You set up a static IP on the server in the same range the router is using to lease addresses to devices on your LAN. The only thing you might want to set up on your router is to have DHCP exclude any static IP address you will be using.
  • Options
    You don't set up a static IP on your router. You set up a static IP on the server in the same range the router is using to lease addresses to devices on your LAN. The only thing you might want to set up on your router is to have DHCP exclude any static IP address you will be using.

I already have this NIC configured to use the address 192.168.1.135(Preferred). i have never seen an instance where this computer had a different private IP. so suffice it to say, it is "static"
  • Options
    I already have this NIC configured to use the address 192.168.1.135(Preferred). i have never seen an instance where this computer had a different private IP. so suffice it to say, it is "static"

You mean you have the NIC on the server set to use DHCP for it's IP & gateway and you have the preferred DNS address hardcoded as the IP address that your router always gives that NIC? I guess that would work unless one day you boot up and the DHCP lease has expired and the router decides to give the server a different IP address. Then none of the clients in the domain will be able to find the Domain Controller and also the server won't be able to find a DNS server.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you running this on a VM? If VMWare you can set the network adapter to bridged mode in VMWare settings. Also check replicate physical connection state and it'll be like your VM is directly hooked to your router. After that just edit your network properties on server 08 to use a static ip.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Are you running this on a VM? If VMWare you can set the network adapter to bridged mode in VMWare settings. Also check replicate physical connection state and it'll be like your VM is directly hooked to your router. After that just edit your network properties on server 08 to use a static ip.

I was thinking that if he was having trouble with display adpater drivers & pulling the same IP address all the time from the router that he wouldn't be installing this on a virtual machine.
  • Options
    You mean you have the NIC on the server set to use DHCP for it's IP & gateway and you have the preferred DNS address hardcoded as the IP address that your router always gives that NIC? I guess that would work unless one day you boot up and the DHCP lease has expired and the router decides to give the server a different IP address. Then none of the clients in the domain will be able to find the Domain Controller and also the server won't be able to find a DNS server.

My server is my regular computer except on a separate partition. I dual-boot between Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. In all my years, i've always had the IP 192.168.1.135 for this computer, i doubt it is going to change one day.

And no, this is not running on a VM. i currently can't run VM as i have a e2160 (yes shtty) and i am going to go to microcenter and grab a E5500 for 60 bucks tomorrow to be able to start labbing. i also only have 4 gb of ram. i don't have the money to afford a real lab setup right now, but this'll have to do.