Any advice before I take my ICND1?

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
I'm going to be taking my ICND1 on the 8th. I have been studying for about 6 months, and I have steadily gotten to the point of almost passing the practice exams offered by cisco press' ICND1 book. I have taken the practice test 3 times with 50 questions and 90 minutes to make it as close to the actual exam as possible. My scores have gotten better every time, but still only scored a 700 on my third try.

I guess my main question is that I feel like I am understanding the info(with the exception of a few things that I am going to be studying hard the next 2 weeks), but that may be because the questions are repetitive.

There are only 150 or so questions from the book, and i've taken it 3 times so i've probably seen each question at least once.

I've thought about getting the boson exam engine, but it's difficult for me to shell out > 65% of the cost of the exam for something to study the exam. I don't know... any suggestions?

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Did you go through all of the labs at Free CCNA Workbook ? Hope you've been doing ALOT of labbing. All the pass posts I've seen for ICND1 and 2 mentioned doing labs.

Can you solve the problems here subnetting.org - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online in under a minute?

I hope you pass. Me and probably others could use the inspiration :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I have been doing subnetting.org, about 30 minutes a day and I don't miss one very often and they seldom take more than 30 seconds.

I haven't seen the Free CCNA Workbook though. I'm going to go through those.

I've got three routers and 2 switches, 4 PC's and a partridge in a pear tree that i'm using for labs. I've done so many that my wife is sick of seeing green icon_smile.gif
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You must have subnetting down. static Routing, RIPv2, Basic switching, and be able to do basic troubleshooting. Ingeneral be prepare for alot of subnetting questions.
  • darkshade9darkshade9 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking mine tomorrow; going to cram like crazy tonight! The CBT Nuggets videos are great resources and helped me learn quite a bit. Correctly calculating subnets in record time will be my goal tonight.
  • darkshade9darkshade9 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I needed an 804 and got a 687. This is with straight studying with absolutely no contact with actual Cisco routers/switches or using virtual interfaces like GNS3. I'm certain I would have passed if I knew a few more commands at the interface level, but at least now I know what I am weak at and where I can focus my studies.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    darkshade9 wrote: »
    Well, I needed an 804 and got a 687. This is with straight studying with absolutely no contact with actual Cisco routers/switches or using virtual interfaces like GNS3. I'm certain I would have passed if I knew a few more commands at the interface level, but at least now I know what I am weak at and where I can focus my studies.

freeccnaworkbook.com

freeccnaworkbook.com

/subliminal voice icon_cool.gif
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    I'm going to be taking my ICND1 on the 8th. I have been studying for about 6 months, and I have steadily gotten to the point of almost passing the practice exams offered by cisco press' ICND1 book. I have taken the practice test 3 times with 50 questions and 90 minutes to make it as close to the actual exam as possible. My scores have gotten better every time, but still only scored a 700 on my third try.

I guess my main question is that I feel like I am understanding the info(with the exception of a few things that I am going to be studying hard the next 2 weeks), but that may be because the questions are repetitive.

There are only 150 or so questions from the book, and i've taken it 3 times so i've probably seen each question at least once.

I've thought about getting the boson exam engine, but it's difficult for me to shell out > 65% of the cost of the exam for something to study the exam. I don't know... any suggestions?

I learned alot from the tests, not pass or fail stuff but more real world stuff. Problem with pratice tests is without meaning to you know the questions. I took these extra boson tests and found I might know it good enough to pass but I could know it better, so I hit the books and did good on my 2nd time around.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I would be able to subnet in your head because I found ICND1 VERY focused on subnetting whether it was directly, or indirectly.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Free CCNA Workbook though. I'm going to go through those.

Also check out this lab workbook via Black Ninja's thread, It helped me for a lot of things CCENT/CCNA.http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/42260-ccna-lab-workbook.html