Ethical Hacking Universities in Japan?

pentestpentest Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm looking for Ethical Hacking/ IT-Security Universities in Japan, since I'd like to study there for half a year (semester abroad). Are there any ones available which can be recommended? If so, are there any certain criteria which must be fulfilled in order to study there?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
pentest

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First question is do you speak Japanese?

Since I have been here I have not seen any training for security. Remember the culture is different in Japan then in other western cultures. If you are not part of caste or sect of knowledge it is unlikely you will be granted access to the information.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • pentestpentest Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I'm still learning it. My university has quite a few partner-universities throughout the world, including in such countries as the USA, China, South Korea, Turkey, Mexico, Spain, etc. Unfortunately none in Japan.

I know that universities in the above mentioned countries offer their classes in English language, so it wouldn't be a problem for most foreigners, such as myself (I'm from Europe). So ideally I'm looking for an equivalent in Japan - a university where I can learn something it-security related in English language. I'd like to do such a "semester abroad" mainly to get some more 'world-experience', learn about a different culture and people etc.; Since I'm interested in Japan for some years, it was obviously my first choice. The main reason is not to learn about it-security, but of course the university must offer appropriate classes, in order to get the semester abroad approved.

I'd highly appreciate it, if you could take a look around. I assume it's easier for someone who already lives in Japan, also considering the fact, that not all Japanese Universities offer their website in English language too. Currently I'm going myself through this list, but no luck so far.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    The only university I know of (though I'm sure there are many others) that has international programs is Sophia University: Sophia University English Site| Sophia University Official Website

I believe its also one of the top ranked universities in Japan.

I don't know if they offer a program for what you are looking for and a quick glance didn't return any results. But maybe you could ask them and they could point you in the right direction.

Japan is awesome though so I would jump on the chance to do it if you can.
    You have to deal with the Japanese universities if you want to take Prometric based tests because that is where they are held. I rarely find anyone at the universities that can speak fluently in English and to be honest since I am in their country I should know how to speak to the Japanese in their language.
    Degrees:
    Thanks Ryan82, Sophia University seems to be part of the GLOBAL 30 project, which I came earlier across. I already contacted them, though I couldn't find any security related courses on their website myself. Asking shouldn't hurt though.

Chris:/*: As already said, I'm learning Japanese for some time now and preparing myself for a couple of language certificates, including JLPT. However, it's another story when you have to follow classes at university in my opinion, also considering all the technical terms. So I'm looking for classes taught in English, though I'd like to attend Japanese learning classes as well. I agree with you, that one should learn the language of the country, one would like to stay for a longer period of time.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    When you're done there, go to China for the unethical hacking. They seem to have a high success rate lately. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pentest wrote: »
    I'm learning Japanese for some time now and preparing myself for a couple of language certificates, including JLPT.

I'm trying out for this next year. What level are you studying for?
    pentest wrote: »
    Chris:/*: As already said, I'm learning Japanese for some time now and preparing myself for a couple of language certificates, including JLPT. However, it's another story when you have to follow classes at university in my opinion, also considering all the technical terms. So I'm looking for classes taught in English, though I'd like to attend Japanese learning classes as well. I agree with you, that one should learn the language of the country, one would like to stay for a longer period of time.

I took the learning thing as meaning the ethical hacking not Japanese. Best of luck.
    Degrees:
    If Japan is not possible, which seems currently to be the case, then indeed China or the USA would be my second choice.

mikedisd2: I'll take it easy and try first N4.
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Honestly, don't worry about learning something that specific in Japan if you want to come here on some sort of exchange program. If you want to do a half semester, come here and concentrate on language and business classes.

Later, come back when you have more experience. You don't even really need super strong Japanese skills, as long have a solid IT background that'll be OK. Once you do that, you can either pick up what you need on the job or enroll in a Japanese language school and get 2級 within a year. Not sure about the new exams, but the old 2級 was definitely doable within a year if you just concentrate on that. I knew one guy who started from scratch and got it in 6 months. Took me 2 years after 2級 to get 1級, but that's with the burden of work...working all in English.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow