RHCE in RHEL 5 or RHEL 6 ?

vinodvbvinodvb Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am in a fix. I recently completely my training in RH033, RH133 and was planning to register for RH253 in order to take the RHCE certification. But now that RHEL6 is out, I am confused if I should take RH255 and then register for RHCE in RHEL6, or complete RH253 and register for RHCE in RHEL5.

I do know that quite few things have changed in the training syllabus and also my confidence level with the new syllabus isn't that great compared to the old one. But I also feel I might miss out on something if I don't go for RHEL6.

It would be very helpful if someone can clear my confusion. If someone can tell me the pros and cons of both i.e. RHCE in RHEL5 and RHCE in RHEL6 that will certainly help me decide.

P.S: I am from Bangalore and the last date for me to register for RHCE in RHEL5 is first week of February 2011. So I’ll have to complete the 3rd module within this time if I am to go for RHEL5.

Regards,
Vinod

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When people ask for my Red Hat Cert they do not care what version it is unlike MS certs. You have to remember you can essential do what needs to be done in Red Hat no matter the version. There are some exceptions but for the most part Red Hat has a pretty solid foundation so the changes are typically improvements.

That all being said I would register for the RH300 Rapid Track of RHEL6 and work though that instead to earn your RHCE 6.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • vinodvbvinodvb Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The new recertification policy i.e. the 3 year window applies only for RHEL6 RHCE. So if i take RHCE on RHEL5, my certificate will be valid till 2 revisions.
  • promotionspromotions Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RHCE on RHEL 5 is valid upto the release of RHEL 7. So you can continue with RHCE Exam on RHEL 5. The upgradation to RHEL 5 is possible only upto Feb 25, 2011, after which RHEL 5 will not be available and you will have to upgrade directly to RHEL 6. To know more about RHCE on RHEL 5 and RHCE on RHEL 6 read our RHEL 6 FAQ.
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The one benefit to getting the RHCE on RHEL6 would be that you could extend that 3 year window by taking further exams (RHCSS, RHCVA, RHCDS, RHCA) ... your 3 year window starts at the date of the last exam you passed.

If you got your RHCE on RHEL5, it won't work that way. When RHEL7 comes out your RHCE is no longer valid and you have no other choice but to retake the RHCE on the current version.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • pradeep.aradhyapradeep.aradhya Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Vinod,

I am staying in Bangalore, even i am studying for RHEL.
    Could you please suggest me some institute or the institute where you got training, it would be helpful for me.

Thanks,
    Pradeep
    Hi Vinod,

I am staying in Bangalore, even i am studying for RHEL.
    Could you please suggest me some institute or the institute where you got training, it would be helpful for me.

Thanks,
    Pradeep

Hello Pradeep,

Sorry for the delayed response. I did my training at LLC (linux learning center). They have their branchs at BTL layout, Banashankari and Hanumanthnagar. However the RHCE related training is usually conducted at BTM branch, but you can request a change of branch to Hanumanthnagar if BTM is far, as i did the same. Said that, i don't guarantee that you will learn everything by just going to this institute. As per my experience i don't really rate them very high, because i had to learn and do many things on my own.

At the same time i cannot directly reject the institute, because i don't know how good or bad other training centers are.

I gave my RHCE exam today and expecting my results very soon.

You can google search for linux learning center and get in touch with them. I would recommend you to do some survey, as in visit few institutes personally, meet the trainers and then make your decision.

NOTE: I guess the training now will be done on RHEL 6, because the last exam for RHEL 5 will be on Feb 25th.

Regards,
    Vinod
    Update : I appeared for the RHCE exam today. (RHEL 5)
    Expecting the results very soon.

A question to follow: As mentioned before, if i get certified as RHCE on RHEL 5, I get an option to go for RHCSA (RHEL6) for Rs.2500. Considering the actual cost, this is a good offer. So, should i go ahead and register for RHCSA (only) or consider upgrading only if I register for RHCE on RHEL6 too.
  • pradeep.aradhyapradeep.aradhya Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply Vinod. BTM is near to me.
    Got my results : I earned my RHCE :)
    RHCT score : 100
    RHCE score : 90.6

Could someone please reply to my question regarding RHCSA/RHCE on RHEL6.