Ccna

Bolton07Bolton07 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Have been looking at the Amazon website and see there is a new 'CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide' in April 2011.

Does this mean there will be a change to the Sylabus for the ICND2 exam 640-816? Is it anything to worry about? Will there be much of a change?

Will I need to buy the new book in March if I am taking the ICND2 exam in June or July?

As I am looking to go ahead and buy the CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 by Todd Lammle now. Want to know wether I will need to change the book in March when the new one comes out

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the Todd's study guide you mentioned and the ICND pair both are good. I do not see the guide updates you are talking about despite that Cisco certs have a phase out period. If you start you should have plenty of time for any updates that may come.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco posts updates regularly for their exam on the website. The exams have minor changes and corrections that are done over time, make sure you check their website for the corrections and changes.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Bolton07Bolton07 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone heard of this new edition CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle coming out in April? Link to this book is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Certified-Network-Associate-CD-ROM/dp/0470901071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293640667&sr=1-1

Is it worth getting when it comes out for my studying towards CCNA?
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Bolton07 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of this new edition CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle coming out in April? Link to this book is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Certified-Network-Associate-CD-ROM/dp/0470901071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293640667&sr=1-1

Is it worth getting when it comes out for my studying towards CCNA?

I'm also working towards my CCNA certification (but via ICND 1 and ICND 2), so my opinion may not be the best answer to your query. In my humble opinion, as long as the most recent study guide is still in line with what has been set out by Cisco, I think it won't differ too much from the relevant topics, even though a latest edition is to be released soon.

The current exam is still "640-802 CCNA", so I think as long any copy of study materials that are meant for this exam should be well sufficient. You may want to double confirm from Cisco site :

CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You get about 5 or 6 months AFTER the official notice of any major upgrade to a Certification Track to take the "old exams" -- and they usually have a "mix 'n match" option of old/new exams if there are multiple exams in the track.

If you already have all your books for the CCNA, you should be able to finish with the "old exam" by June or July.

Cisco Live! London is January 31st 2011 to February 3rd. That's the next good time for a Certification Track change announcement. But there are always rumors -- so until the official announcement don't worry about it.

And try and use more descriptive subject lines than CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Bolton07Bolton07 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am taking the ICND1 and ICND2 path. Have just passed ICND1 and I am now studying ICND2.

Think Todd Lammle does not do a ICND2 book and only does the one exam approach.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I am taking the ICND1 and ICND2 path. Have just passed ICND1 and I am now studying ICND2.

Congrads to your passing of ICND 1 !! icon_thumright.gif
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441

He has the ICND1 book and then the CCNA composite book. The composite book repeats large portions of the ICND1 book word for word. If I had it to do over again I would probably just buy the CCNA book. Luckily I have access to the CCNA composite book on safari books from my IEEE membership so I'm not buying a book that I've already read half of....
  • spidey88spidey88 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys..I Plan to take the CCNA 640-802 test on the coming february..For now I only study the CCNA study Guide 6th Edition by Todd Lammle..Will that be enough for me to pass the test?..And btw, is there any preparation I can do beside studying the books?..Thanks

Best Regards.
  • spidey88spidey88 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

That is the book that i mean..Hope to get feedback from u guys soon =)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a great book, and it'll probably be enough as far as reading goes, but you'll still need some hands on. Look at Free CCNA Workbook which will walk you through setting up and using GNS3 and then labs for all of the CCNA topics. There's also this lab book. Hands on with real equipment is always preferable, but using GNS3 will get you through the CCNA.