Employers Ability to Check Outside Employment

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
Let me give a little background: First of all, I have a security clearance required for my position and my company requires that all outside employment be cleared with them. I understand that they essentially want to verify that there is no conflict of interest, and they may also want to double check with my manager to make sure that it doesn't impact my job performance. With that being said, our market is extremely limited and I am certainly not going to be introducing a conflict of interest.

I will have to have my security clearance re-evaluated in two years, so I have to be completely honest about different sources of income... so if I get a second job, that money will be open there.

My question is, what means do employers have to check this information? My employer will have a company appointed security officer review my SF86, so there is certainly an opportunity to have it visible at that point. Outside of that, what can they check? Is my employer able to check my tax records in any way?

I would like to do some 1099 work on the side here and there, as time permits. If I have to get this cleared through the company at every pass, it will be a huge pain. In all honestly, I have nothing to hide, I just don't want there to be issues.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what was explained to me, its only DSS that is able to check taxes, income etc. They are the ones who do the investigations.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    MrAgent wrote: »
    From what was explained to me, its only DSS that is able to check taxes, income etc. They are the ones who do the investigations.

Yes the gov will be the ones checking your financial info. Depending on your clearance level you will be questioned about additional sources of income during your interview.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, my hope is to save up some money for my MBA when I start that in the Fall of 2012. I think that it would acceptable to DSS.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Where I work we have plenty of people who have second jobs on the weekends etc to pull in more money. So yeah, it should be acceptable.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »
    My question is, what means do employers have to check this information? My employer will have a company appointed security officer review my SF86, so there is certainly an opportunity to have it visible at that point. Outside of that, what can they check? Is my employer able to check my tax records in any way?

Tax records are public, so it is relatively easy to verify different sources of income.

In the past I've been subject to the same things regarding outside activities, and it wasn't with any type of government job.

MS