Noticed few jobs for MCITP, more for MCSE

fonestar1978fonestar1978 Banned Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just a thought.. I googled "MCITP jobs" in my area and found few results. Then found many for MCSE and CCNA. So I guess if "WXYZ Certified" had been the buzz word for a decade with HR and hiring staff it would continue to be so for several years later. Obviously, just a term that says to the hiring staff, "he knows what he is doing, we don't know what he does."

Made me think of another point, you might want to ask what exactly that "WXYZ Certification" is going to get you from your new employer. Or else, instead of working on WXYZ you might find yourself changing toner cartridges or running Cat5e, washing dishes or something...

Comments

• arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's why I'm soldiering on with the MCSE and then I'll do the MCITP:EA upgrade. 70-293 in two weeks!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Why don't you just tell them that MCITP:SA/EA is the new MCSE/MCSA? Many HR people simply don't know any better. It's one thing to make yourself more valuable to an organization, and an entirely different thing to get certified in a nearly decade old technology that will be phased out in another couple of years.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ehnde wrote: »
    Why don't you just tell them that MCITP:SA/EA is the new MCSE/MCSA? Many HR people simply don't know any better. It's one thing to make yourself more valuable to an organization, and an entirely different thing to get certified in a nearly decade old technology that will be phased out in another couple of years.

Its kind of hard to tell them when you don't get a chance because your resume was eliminated for not having the right letters.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    There are fewer MCITP candidates as well - something else to consider.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/61258-mcse-dead-long-live-mcitp.html

Exactly, when hiring managers finally pass it on to HR that they want to look for MCITP you're going to be in a much smaller stack of resumes. Not to mention when people finally migrate over to 08 you'll be in a fairly sweet spot as well to help with those, if that's your thing.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    arwes wrote: »
    That's why I'm soldiering on with the MCSE and then I'll do the MCITP:EA upgrade. 70-293 in two weeks!

That isn't a bad choice. Yes, you may pay a little more for the additional exams, but you are also adding the depth and longevity to your "experience".
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    You have to look past the words being used in the ads and look at the skills being asked for. Many ads are asking for MCSE but yet the skills are for 2008, and so much more now than before. I might even advise to do the MCITP and still put MCSE on the CV such is the confusion from pretty much anyone not having done certs over that last few years.

This is not simply an issue for HR or Agencies but for IT managers because they are the ones sending these job specs to HR/Agencies in the first place. I can honestly say I have not worked for an IT manager in the last 16 months who really understood the MCITP.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could also point out the changes in naming in your cover letter, when submitting a resume. The recognition of the MCITP will only grow at this point.
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When the MCSE is finally dead, Server 2012 and Windows 8 will be the next new rage. By then the MCITP will finally be the standard.

Now, unless MS decides to change the naming convention from MCITP to something new, you will have MCITPs in 2008 and 2012 just like MCSE for 2000/2003. Just a thought.

For me it a learning and pride issue as far as wanting to complete the MCSA track. After that I will do the MCITP:SA.

Just my 2 cents before taxes.
  • fonestar1978fonestar1978 Banned Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its kind of hard to tell them when you don't get a chance because your resume was eliminated for not having the right letters.

By "decade old technology" do you mean NT that has just gotten a few face lifts + ipv6 and a few others since Windows 2000?

Personally, if I was doing the hiring I wouldn't care if someone was certified in Windows 2000, 2003 or 2008. They've proven they know what they are doing and at the most should just need some updating.