So I had this lady call from a recruiting firm today

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
She left a voicemail so I decided to call her back.

She immediately picked up like a zit face fat girl waiting for her date to call. DESPERATE.

So she started asking me what type of job I was looking for. I thought that was bizarre since she was calling me. Anyway I told her sys admin or higher level help desk at the very least. Then I mentioned something with COTS specialization would be a consideration also. She had no idea what I was talking about but she agreed anyway :/

So she finally started getting to the job description and this is where I broke out the saying.

I told her I gave up being a password reset ninja a while back and I wasn't interested in going back. She just got quiet.

I said yeah I don't do 50 calls a day and passwords for most. She then proceeded to say well the job was filled and she just wanted to be polite and get back to me.

This is where it gets great. I just burst out into laughter and hung up.

Some of these people are literally maggots. Don't get me wrong there are some classy firms, but some of these "hiring consultants" are pure trash.

Sorry just wanted to vent.

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    lol That was surreal, and quite pointless on her behalf. Just remember, she votes.

EDIT: No wait, Americans don't vote do they?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    lol That was surreal, and quite pointless on her behalf. Just remember, she votes.

EDIT: No wait, Americans don't vote do they?

Who knows what she does. People like her make me want to take my resume down off of all sites and just start going to IT social groups.
  • ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My worst experience was when these "recruiters" from India called and said they had a 3 month contract for a Net Engineer and I need to name my price. I then inform him I am not moving to Wisconsin even if its temporary for 3 months under any circumstances.

There is just dead silence on the line and I get frustrated and hang up after barely understanding three words he said.

Most of the Chicago based recruiters I try to be nice to so I can network with them in the future. It's more annoying then anything else to get the, "Do you want XYZ contract position for 6 months?"
    ScottFern wrote: »
    My worst experience was when these "recruiters" from India called and said they had a 3 month contract for a Net Engineer and I need to name my price. I then inform him I am not moving to Wisconsin even if its temporary for 3 months under any circumstances.

There is just dead silence on the line and I get frustrated and hang up after barely understanding three words he said.

Most of the Chicago based recruiters I try to be nice to so I can network with them in the future. It's more annoying then anything else to get the, "Do you want XYZ contract position for 6 months?"

Absolutely. Infact there are several recruiters I keep in contact with, usually once I month I'll shoot them a text or meet up with them if I have done prior business with them.

It's the random recruiter from several states over with pointless nonsense that get's me annoyed. This particular one was from Oakland Michigan. She had a 248 area code.

The part I hate the most is you are calling me and then you want to play games and not tell me what the job is. Unbelievable.
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    N2IT wrote: »
    So she finally started getting to the job description and this is where I broke out the saying.

I told her I gave up being a password reset ninja a while back and I wasn't interested in going back. She just got quiet.

I said yeah I don't do 50 calls a day and passwords for most. She then proceeded to say well the job was filled and she just wanted to be polite and get back to me.

A password reset ninja..LMAOicon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That is a new one. I wish i could have heard that entire conversation lol
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Actually, that is quite typical for employment agencies. Lots will post jobs that are already filled, and then when someone calls or emails them, they try to reel them in for an in office interview, or to build up their database of potential hires.

I laugh when they call and say hey I just found your resume. They will go over all the details of it, then ask you for an updated one. Really??? You have it yet you want me to send it to you again? One recruiter told me it was a Monster issue, they can only see resumes they have no way to download them.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    The worst are the companies who call you all excited about some horrible job offer then they ask you how much you want. That's an easy way to get them off the phone. icon_cheers.gif
    Repo Man wrote: »
    The worst are the companies who call you all excited about some horrible job offer then they ask you how much you want. That's an easy way to get them off the phone. icon_cheers.gif
    That actually happened to me this morning lol. This lady called me so excited about this new iMac position, working with software and apparently break/fix support for software. That sounded weird, I have never heard it put that way. She then goes on to tell me its 12/hr. I stopped her right in the middle of her little speech and tactfully asked her to not contact me unless you are coming up with something AT LEAST in the 19 - 22/hr range. She then gracefully made her exit off the phone.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am glad we can hold our ground as far as compensation goes in this job market. I am tired of people taking positions for crap pay because the "economy" is bad.

I got a call the other day for a position in Iraq, and they offered me a third less for the same thing that another contractor offered me doing the exact same thing, WTF!

Don't let recruiters use the "economy" as a bs excuse for low pay when you know your worth more.

This has become a trend for recruiters that want higher qualified people but don't want to pay for it, and I refuse to be a part of this cycle.

Let them know you are not a monkey and will not work for bananas!

Maybe they will wake up and realize that they have a hard time keeping and recruiting candidates and to offer more.
    I am glad we can hold our ground as far as compensation goes in this job market. I am tired of people taking positions for crap pay because the "economy" is bad.

I got a call the other day for a position in Iraq, and they offered me a third less for the same thing that another contractor offered me doing the exact same thing, WTF!

Don't let recruiters use the "economy" as a bs excuse for low pay when you know your worth more.

This has become a trend for recruiters that want higher qualified people but don't want to pay for it, and I refuse to be a part of this cycle.

Let them know you are not a monkey and will not work for bananas!

Maybe they will wake up and realize that they have a hard time keeping and recruiting candidates and to offer more.

Exactly! I am so sick of people first not giving help desk an opportunity to do something more advanced and secondly I am sick of them trying to low ball us on support center pay. Even in the midwest which usually pays fairly low a true technicial tier 1 should make high 30's low 40's and tier 2 should make mid 40's at least. 12 dollars an hour is someone spitting in your face.

AK, I am blessed to be in a Network Analyst / Tier 2 support role at this moment. So I can easily shoot those crappy wages down.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got an email from one (a recruiter that is) off monster. I blew him off initially but then decided to reply for the heck of it. A few emails and phone calls later he was lining up interviews left and right. I got 2 offers in the same week, took one of them, and since then I've ditched the firm to join full time. Funny that I almost didn't take the shot and it has lead to so much.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I got an email from one (a recruiter that is) off monster. I blew him off initially but then decided to reply for the heck of it. A few emails and phone calls later he was lining up interviews left and right. I got 2 offers in the same week, took one of them, and since then I've ditched the firm to join full time. Funny that I almost didn't take the shot and it has lead to so much.

That's the exception not the norm. People win the lottery too, but not most of us.

With that said I am not saying to not pursue a job via a recruiter, that's how I have started off and have been promoted 4 times within 3 years. Partly because I get along with a lot of people and do a great job, I also show a lot of interest in the business not just the technology.

So in short I agree, but for most of the time it's not the case. And accepting a very low wage is not only hurting yourself it's hurting the industry as whole.

****Side note (Are you a Sys admin or still in help desk)?
    That's the exception not the norm. People win the lottery too, but not most of us.

With that said I am not saying to not pursue a job via a recruiter, that's how I have started off and have been promoted 4 times within 3 years. Partly because I get along with a lot of people and do a great job, I also show a lot of interest in the business not just the technology.

So in short I agree, but for most of the time it's not the case. And accepting a very low wage is not only hurting yourself it's hurting the industry as whole.

There was only one job like that I considered taking. It was about 12/hr but they reimbursed all expenses. So after totaling up the weeks pay plus the expenses that DIDN'T come out my pocket, it was actually around 19/hr. It was Mileage money. At 30/cents a mile for about 1000 miles +/- a week. An extra 300 for my traveling(which I do on the norm) was not bad at all.

My point wasn't to accept something below you, just to encourage people to at least give them a chance. Maybe 9 times out or 10 it is complete crap but the other time it may lead to your dream job.

Still at the helpdesk, but I do get pulled into other areas from time to time. Apparently there is this large security project on the table for early next year and my manager spoke with the manager over there and suggested that they pull me in on it. So that would be pretty cool.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I have spoken with 4 recruiters....

one started off nice and friendly and then once my hours didn't work, completely ditched me, ignored phone calls, e-mails etc...

the second was super friendly, but I didn't like the job she was pimping, so she linked me to some other sites, I found a job I wanted, but another recruiter had that job... so she was cool for a minute, but she got unhelpful once she realized another recruiter had that job.... that other recruiter never responded to me...

the third called me about 2 jobs, and was super friendly and helpful, and I think she has me a job at this point... she worked pretty hard for me...

the fourth just called me yesterday, he seemed cool, but i think number 3 has came through with a job so I won't see how #4 turns out
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Good luck with number 3!
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    My point wasn't to accept something below you, just to encourage people to at least give them a chance. Maybe 9 times out or 10 it is complete crap but the other time it may lead to your dream job.

Still at the helpdesk, but I do get pulled into other areas from time to time. Apparently there is this large security project on the table for early next year and my manager spoke with the manager over there and suggested that they pull me in on it. So that would be pretty cool.

Awesome! I hope you land that gig, sounds like a good fit.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get calls from recruiters with thick accents all the time. It seems that even talking to potential employees has been offshored icon_sad.gif (wtf is going on with the country).

When I get calls about the jobs they usually suck. I always look at three things: Pay, distance (from where I live) and job type. Most of them are straight up crap (low pay, too far and not my type of job). Some of them are just crap (low pay or too far or not my type of job). Few of them are ok (low pay but it isn't too far and the job would be cool or too far but the pay would be nice and the job is cool ,etc). Very few of them are good (two out of the aforementioned three criteria are positive). I have probably 1-2% percent are great (all three of the aforementioned criteria are positive). I have only landed one job that I would say was great all the rest have been good or ok. I don't bother with the crappy ones.

The same goes with recruiters. I try to deal with good recruiters. On average, If you don't email me every two weeks and I constantly have to hunt you down, I terminate the relationship. The problem is now of days these recruiters are gate keepers and most of them have never worked in IT (and some of them make me question if they have ever worked in HR). So they might no know what Active Directory but they request jobs that want AD support (true story). I actually had a recruiter tell me that they wanted Windows support experience and when asked what version of the operating system they were using she said linux. Now if this person does not know that linux is not a version of windows, how is she suppose to know a CCNA from a MCSA from a OCA from a SCSA from a CCA ?icon_lol.gif

I personally think that some of these recruiters need to go through some comptia and ciw stuff so they will have an understanding of what's going on in the industry.
    I get calls from recruiters with thick accents all the time. It seems that even talking to potential employees has been offshored icon_sad.gif (wtf is going on with the country).

When I get calls about the jobs they usually suck. I always look at three things: Pay, distance (from where I live) and job type. Most of them are straight up crap (low pay, too far and not my type of job). Some of them are just crap (low pay or too far or not my type of job). Few of them are ok (low pay but it isn't too far and the job would be cool or too far but the pay would be nice and the job is cool ,etc). Very few of them are good (two out of the aforementioned three criteria are positive). I have probably 1-2% percent are great (all three of the aforementioned criteria are positive). I have only landed one job that I would say was great all the rest have been good or ok. I don't bother with the crappy ones.

The same goes with recruiters. I try to deal with good recruiters. On average, If you don't email me every two weeks and I constantly have to hunt you down, I terminate the relationship. The problem is now of days these recruiters are gate keepers and most of them have never worked in IT (and some of them make me question if they have ever worked in HR). So they might no know what Active Directory but they request jobs that want AD support (true story). I actually had a recruiter tell me that they wanted Windows support experience and when asked what version of the operating system they were using she said linux. Now if this person does not know that linux is not a version of windows, how is she suppose to know a CCNA from a MCSA from a OCA from a SCSA from a CCA ?icon_lol.gif

I personally think that some of these recruiters need to go through some comptia and ciw stuff so they will have an understanding of what's going on in the industry.

Great story I am glad you mentioned it. This by far and away is the norm. Like you said 1-2% max are worth anything at all. I started off in IT and then left for real estate and property management when I get back these leeches are around. Sad thing is this is the 100% truth. I have this one guy who consistently calls me about a Sharepoint admin job. I mean it's like every 3 weeks. I have another agency which consist of 4-5 agents that I am aware who and consistenly trying to put me in for jobs that are way beneath me or not within my skill sets. That industry has gotten out of control. Half of them can't even keep a job for more than 6 months.

They should have a Comptia Recruiter + cert LMAO
    I actually had a recruiter tell me that they wanted Windows support experience and when asked what version of the operating system they were using she said linux.

LOL icon_scratch.gif
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Two out of the three recruiters i'm currently dealing with know at least enough to get by. One of which is a former C and C++ developer, so I can talk to him and not feel like i'm going over his head. The third however has no clue at all. At the very least I agree that they should have some basic understanding of what they're trying to place people in.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Boy, this is an EPIC thread!!!

Love it!

Love it, love it, love it!!!! I was this for almost 4 years and totally going to steal this from you.

I just had a call for a job like this, in Phoenix, Arizona. Basically help desk/tier ii position for a two year contract. They sent me the job description via email and maybe we should start to post those here to compare.

Anyways, the pay was 22.00 with NO relocation.

I said to the person with the Indian accent, if no relocation, why aren't you focusing on local candidates? For some reason, he tries to dodge the question and wanted me to apply for the job.

I have a friend who relocated from Chicago to Omaha and he keeps telling me that IT recruiters there will work with candidates where in Omaha, it is more pump and ****. Is this true?

They should have a Comptia Recruiter + cert LMAO

Great idea! If IT professionals have to put in the time/effort/money to get certificated, then the same should be applied to those who are trying to recruit IT talent. After all, you have to have a license to operate a car, right? It should be no different....
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I just had a call for a job like this, in Phoenix, Arizona. Basically help desk/tier ii position for a two year contract. They sent me the job description via email and maybe we should start to post those here to compare.

Anyways, the pay was 22.00 with NO relocation.

That's actually a great rate for that average position title over here. Normally you'd find it in the 16-18 range.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote: »
    That's actually a great rate for that average position title over here. Normally you'd find it in the 16-18 range.

I think 22 a hour is a solid rate for a Tier 2 techncian, not great. It comes out to 45760.00 which is a good solid rate. 50000.00 I would consider great for a tier 2 employee paying out at just a hair over 24 an hour.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think 22 a hour is a solid rate for a Tier 2 techncian, not great. It comes out to 45760.00 which is a good solid rate. 50000.00 I would consider great for a tier 2 employee paying out at just a hair over 24 an hour.

I'd give my right eye for 22 right now. icon_cry.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When dealing with recruiters, just use a variant of the fortune cookie game. Instead of adding "in bed" to the end of every fortune, you add "but I could be lying" to the end of every recruiter sentence.

I've got a friend who's been unemployed since December 2007 -- and is working part time (10-15 hours a week) in a doggy daycare for $7.50. They would be happy to take your job (or any job) and do it for $30K since that would allow them to keep their house while they continue to dream of finding a job that will pay them 80K again.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    When dealing with recruiters, just use a variant of the fortune cookie game. Instead of adding "in bed" to the end of every fortune, you add "but I could be lying" to the end of every recruiter sentence.

LOL Now that is a very good way to look at it!
    I've got a friend who's been unemployed since December 2007 -- and is working part time (10-15 hours a week) in a doggy daycare for $7.50. They would be happy to take your job (or any job) and do it for $30K since that would allow them to keep their house while they continue to dream of finding a job that will pay them 80K again

That is really unfortunate for him/her. But that has no bearing on my situation. I still stand strong on my response. I will never allow them to low ball me. I am not going to be exploited by big business, I know what I am worth and I will get paid that.

With that all being said I am very thankful for my job. I have a great job and great managers. However I have a family to take care of and I will do whatever it takes to provide for them.