What to do next?

tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work full time and I am taken 11 hour next semester toward a BS degree in Computer Information Technology so time is limited. I really enjoy the certifications and plan to hit them hard after school but what do you guy recommend next for me? I think I could do a Microsoft cert easier because of my job and knowledge but cisco would be a better fit at work. Also what Microsoft or cisco cert would you recommend. Thanks for the advise.

Comments

• TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    tink334 wrote: »
    I work full time and I am taken 11 hour next semester toward a BS degree in Computer Information Technology so time is limited. I really enjoy the certifications and plan to hit them hard after school but what do you guy recommend next for me? I think I could do a Microsoft cert easier because of my job and knowledge but cisco would be a better fit at work. Also what Microsoft or cisco cert would you recommend. Thanks for the advise.

I think all cisco begins with CCENT/CCNA. Once you accomplish that, then you can break off into any discipline you want to focus on. Voice,wireless, security, design...They have certifications for all of those tracks.

As far as Microsoft goes...I think you should start with whatever you know the most about. I don't believe they have a structure like Cisco (Prerequisites and things of that nature). Its more like "With this combination of certs you would become a..._____" I cant speak to there individual difficulty, as I am studying for my first Windows cert at this moment.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

I wouldn't get anything just to get it. I would look at what would help you at your current role, and what would help you in your career goals and work towards that.

I really think knowledge/skills you gain from studying for CCENT/CCNA are paramount to success in IT for nearly any role, but that's just my opinion :D
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks it look like we have went the same route i am just a year or so behind you. I don't wont to look at routers or switches for a job but I too think the Cisco brand looks best on a resume.
    Thanks it look like we have went the same route i am just a year or so behind you. I don't wont to look at routers or switches for a job but I too think the Cisco brand looks best on a resume.

I don't work with routers or switches directly, but my cisco studies helped me to troubleshoot communication issues. If your goal is IA having knowledge of how information flows from A to B and how to figure out why its not flowing from A to B is very valuable. Also when it came to designing network placement for some of the devices I do work with...it came in handy to understand collision domains, VLANs, etc.

Good Luck.

• tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was not referring to what you did I just don't want to spent my time doing the backbone stuff I would rather do help desk support. How much harder is the CCENT than the Network+ and how much harder is the CCNA than the CCENT?
    I was not referring to what you did I just don't want to spent my time doing the backbone stuff I would rather do help desk support. How much harder is the CCENT than the Network+ and how much harder is the CCNA than the CCENT?

CCENT is a great deal harder then Network+ because it requires you to apply your knowledge to cisco devices. You also have to have such a strong understanding of Subnetting. You might just get a random "Show running-config" of routers or switches and asked why is it not communicating? The answer could be something as small as they are on different networks (even though the IP addresses look similar).

Not to mention Cisco testing logic is crazy. Not only can you not go back to a question after you passed it, typically you will be given 4 choices and 3 of them could solve the problem, but you have to choose the MORE right answer, or 4 answers to the problem and they all are VERY similar.

CCENT vs CCNA I actually sat for CCNA up to question 40 of 50ish, but my keyboard went out and I accepted a job that required CEH, so here we are, but I found CCNA to be just as hard difficultly wise as CCENT just with more advanced topics.

If your goal is to go down the Cisco route I would strongly suggest getting a hold of CBT Nuggets for CCNA and download Packet Tracer and follow along with Instructor Jeremy...he actually makes subnetting funny! SAVE THE HOSTS!

Then I would also study for MCTS (70-640) Active Directory...going into a support role with knowledge of Active Directory and CCNA will really help you out.