Let the salary range speak for itself

tkep1008tkep1008 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Link: VCP4, RHCE, CCNA, CCNP, Security+, A+, CISSP, MCSE, RHCT, RHCSA Salary | Indeed.com

Check it out... Just wanted to see what salary ranges where across multiple job sites using indeed.com

Pretty interesting if you ask me. RHCSA is so new it doesnt even get any data..

331zp5f.jpg

2lj4vwm.jpg
==================================
RHCE, RHCSA, VCP4, Network+, A+

Comments

• TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Yeah I've seen that chart on many websites. But in today's times that chart is not accurate. At least speaking within the United States. Not saying there's nobody at all with the certification that makes the respective salary, but as an "average" those statistics are very unrealistic.

Maybe someone with 10+ years experience in the actual job role and having the certification may pay them close to those average salaries.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • tkep1008tkep1008 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think they are very realistic. But I know it depends on the area you live in and what sector you work in. What I meant by this post was mostly for one to see all certs in a range. Still interesting in my opinion.
  • TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    tkep1008 wrote: »
    I think they are very realistic. But I know it depends on the area you live in and what sector you work in. What I meant by this post was mostly for one to see all certs in a range. Still interesting in my opinion.

Yeah it's interesting and I agree depending on the area you live in, the same job's salary can be several thousands higher in one state versus another. But statistics like these are what most accelerated IT schools and IT boot camps use to get over on people. For instance they tell someone that's a sales clerk with a salary of 25k per year that if they take this exam and become a CCNA certified their salary will increase to over 70k per year just like that. That's what's unrealistic about it.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CCNA $74,000? Yeah right....

I really hate these things because there are so many other factors that have to be taken into account. This chart is completely useless without further information.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I think salary also highly depends on your area. In MD/DC making 80k-100k is rather normal, but my friend that lives in Georgia said getting that type of salary you need 10+years experience.

I see people making 70K+ out of college here, but then again rent for a 1bedroom apt can be upwards of 1500-2,000 /month + utils

However if you just had CCNA and no other experience, or degrees you'd likely be hurting to pull 40k/year.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • tkep1008tkep1008 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea the area definitely matters. and I think we can all agree that experience will get you further than any cert. But all I am trying to see is the differences between the certs. It would be interesting to see how combinations of these certs skew the pay.

I am not trying to sell myself short, I already have my BS and MS, and some certs so I dont have some college recruiter feeding me lies, although I can see how they could with data like this. For me I am just trying to see what other certs to look at outside of the ones I already have and staying aways from micro$oft.

networker050184, a CCNA getting 75K, I have seen it, again the area matters and if you work as a government subcontractor its even more realistic than you think. I am sure that any of these certs working for a mom & pop operation would be lucky to get 45k.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tkep1008 wrote: »
    networker050184, a CCNA getting 75K, I have seen it, again the area matters and if you work as a government subcontractor its even more realistic than you think. I am sure that any of these certs working for a mom & pop operation would be lucky to get 45k.

Of course, I have seen people making more than 75K with just a CCNA or no certifications at all. Thats totally besides the point. There are a lot of factors that go into it besides just that CCNA. As you pointed out, location and industry come into account. You also have to think about experience, education, who you know, how well you negotiate salary, so many other things that listing CCNA = $75k is just ridiculous and misleading. Same for the other certifications on there, not just the CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I think salary also highly depends on your area. In MD/DC making 80k-100k is rather normal, but my friend that lives in Georgia said getting that type of salary you need 10+years experience.

I see people making 70K+ out of college here, but then again rent for a 1bedroom apt can be upwards of 1500-2,000 /month + utils

However if you just had CCNA and no other experience, or degrees you'd likely be hurting to pull 40k/year.

True story.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I believe all those might be accurate if you also have a top secret clearance. Otherwise, not even close, even in the DC Metro area. $59,000 for just Security+? Really?
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I believe all those might be accurate if you also have a top secret clearance. Otherwise, not even close, even in the DC Metro area. $59,000 for just Security+? Really?

The numbers are rather flawed because from what I have seen Security+ is a certification that most anyone that works in/for the Govt. for IA has....so I am sure that plugs into it somehow.

People get the wrong idea when they look at these things. Get Cert = that much money. As someone already stated there are so many factors.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    CCNA $74,000? Yeah right....

I really hate these things because there are so many other factors that have to be taken into account. This chart is completely useless without further information.

I was making 71K at an ISP with a CCNA and 3 1/2 years experience in networking before I left but like you said I know how to work my OT/DT and negotiate my rate.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What I have Learned from Indeed:

MCITP make less money than MCTS
    Security+ makes more money than MCSA
    MCDST makes less money than Network+
    and
    Average CCNP salaries for job postings nationwide are 5% higher than average MCTS salaries for job postings nationwide.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The other problem is that this chart doesn't see "A+" and go "Oh, they want me to **** the average salary of someone with a CompTIA A+ certification". It just sees "A+". For instance, I can put in "Champion" and hey, look, the average salary for a "Champion" is $31,000. The average salary for someone with a B+ "certification" is $33,000. And hey, if you're a superhero, you'll be raking in 62k from the get go. And if you're a "Health Man" you'll be looking at a fine 78 thou. Don't get me started on being homeless. Oh, and if you're a Winner? You'll be looking at almost 200,000 bucks a year. Oh also, looks like the feminists have turned the tables, looking at a salary comparison between "Man" and "Woman". Oh, and being a millionaire is not all it's cracked up to be, they only make 40k a year.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that they are more accurate for the higher end certs, but they are WAY off at the entry level certs. Honestly, I have seen CISSP average salary be way higher on other sites, though (around $120-130k... topping the CCIE).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK, I can finally PROVE Bruce Wayne is NOT Batman. Batman makes only a little over 40 thousand a year, but Bruce Wayne is a billionaire.
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That chart is interesting.. but the real deal is that employers will "always" try to low ball in regards to actual salary "range". Say if a certain position is posted online (be it in charts or web sites statistics) and the average is about 85,000 a year, a company will try to fill that position 80,000 or less than that. That is always the case.
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The charts would be more helpful if it included how many years in IT the average respondent had. For example you might have a 10 year IT veteran who has a CCNA and earns 80K, that salary has much less to do with the cert and more to do with his / her experience.

It also doesn't take into account the ability to gain the necessary experience to get into a job that might require a Red Hat certification. The linux guys I know make oodles of money, but those are the employed ones. They got lucky and worked for an ISP or a major company and were able to gain valuable enterprise linux experience that is fairly hard to get. For everyone one I know who is employed ten cannot get a job (even with the cert) because they don't have enterprise or carrier level experience.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The charts would be more helpful if it included how many years in IT the average respondent had. For example you might have a 10 year IT veteran who has a CCNA and earns 80K, that salary has much less to do with the cert and more to do with his / her experience.

You must also consider the methodology behind the survey. The CCNA salary range is likely skewed upwards by the people who are close to the CCNP certification and doing CCNP level work. It's not like passing that last test instantly earns you you a $25k pay raise. Likewise the CCNP range is lifted by those near the CCIE level. There are also people with older or lesser certifications who have moved into upper management and skew the salaries for those certs. Did Indeed base their survey on the certification that is most important to your daily job, or did they ask for your salary and all your certs?

Many companies do not need people with upper level certifications on permanent staff. CCNPs and CCIEs are often contractors/consultants who can earn more with bonuses. Did Indeed count total compensation or just base salary?
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The single biggest problem is with how they source their information. Most surveys are at least partly based on user information where they may mark down all of their certs. So a CCIE making avg. salary also has a CCNP, CCNA etc. and ticks those boxes but marks down his current salary, all the lower level certs get skewed upwards.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would buy stuff like this is certification, and a single certification, were the only measure by which employers judged the value of an employee.

This data is clearly skewed because it must be. There are other factors that determine salary as members have already posted.

* Experience
    * Education
    * Size of company

Surveys like this do not tell the entire story and should be classed as "lies" on the range of "statistics, lies and damn lies."
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    What? No JNCIA listed!? I'm shocked! ;)

But seriously now, this info is very misleading and possibly flat out incorrect. All something like this does is get a newbies hopes up that when they get their CCNA they be making 75k/yr. And when that doesn't happen they feel very dejected. icon_sad.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    Aldur wrote: »
    What? No JNCIA listed!? I'm shocked! ;)

But seriously now, this info is very misleading and possibly flat out incorrect. All something like this does is get a newbies hopes up that when they get their CCNA they be making 75k/yr. And when that doesn't happen they feel very dejected. icon_sad.gif
    i would be happy with the half of that lets say 40K with the ccna but 0 exp
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They really factor in experience here. I wish the Security+ gave me a salary in that range. Unfortunately, it hasn't even gotten me a job, and when/if I do land an IT job I expect it to be in the $30k range.