Another Resume Plea.

jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here you go folks, be ruff with it if you wish. Thank you in advance, trying a new resume for the new year cause a HR tore my last one up.
Thanks
Schreck
TE.doc 38.5K

Comments

• Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    For the Education/Certifications part, you didn't list any Education. If you don't plan to, wouldn't you just leave it as Certifications?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First thing is to change the font and/or size; too small to read. I personally feel Time New Roman is a bit passe and would go with Arial/Calibri/Tahoma for a more contempory feel. Either way, make it bigger so that it can be read more easily.

Remove the objective.

Maybe a few lines to segment the sections and to look more appealing.

Certs/Education must be at the top of the resume, never the bottom.

In the history section, list what you did in those jobs and your position title.

Your resume has bits about networking, bits about servers and bits about desktop. Decide what you want to do and then highlight that in your skillset for each section.
  • jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Long story short I went to a employment agency and they critqued my resume to the point I felt bad. So I went to the job service and started working on a new format and setting.

I will take the suggestion with Ariel. I like ariel as well.

I totally agree with removing the objective unless I am making the resume for a certain person.

You mean to leave bigger spaces between the sections?
    "Maybe a few lines to segment the sections and to look more appealing."

I had my certs on top of my last resume and both the employment agency as well as job service said to bring it down to the bottom. So whats the consensus on that?

That is the biggest thing, between school and the few spotty jobs I have had, I am not really a expert on anything? I want to get into security, but I don't know enough about one subject to leave it on one subject. I have a year and a half left tell I get my BA on IT Security from Western Governors.

A couple things that I wanted to add that I havnt been able to. that I been on two combat tours is the biggest one. The fact that I posses security clearance, not sure if I should list that one but ehh..

So whats more thoughts?

Schreck
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The following is only my opinions and since I'm in the UK, it may be different to what someone in the US would expect, but...

1. I'm not sure about the Objective, sometimes I put it in my CV, sometimes I don't. If you are going to leave it in, then I would suggest putting the job role that you're going for in it - nothing more, nothing less.
    2. Change the "Qualification" heading to "Key Skills and Responsibilities"
    3. In relevant Experience, while we here know and can understand what you're saying. Alot of HR people who look at IT CV's (if the IT managers doesn't) will look for key words - so just a little rewording is needed. Like in:
    Point 4: That's sounds like "Supporting Servicedesk activities like..."
    Point 5: Sounds like "Implemented and/or supported network security...", etc...
    4. Expand (as much as you can) your employment history, eg you've listed your employers, but you haven't listed your job title and a brief (1 sentence) job description.
    5. Under Education/Certification, you've mentioned that you're 1 1/2 years away from your BA, list that as currently studying for...
    6. You've got Security Clearance list that. Do you have a driving license? If that, list that. Are you a member of any professional associations? If so, list that.

Remember a CV and cover letter is a selling point for you with a prospective employer.

-Ken
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the US you don't need to list your driver's license, but yes if you have security clearance then show that. That's a huge plus.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • megbotmegbot Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Objectives are a way of the past. The hiring company doesn't need to know what you're looking for, you're applying for a job, that's objective enough.

You should make the font a touch bigger and decrease the spacing a bit.

I also highly, highly recommend highlighting your work experience a bit more. What did you do at Adecco? What contributions did you make, what accomplishments? Why were you a rockstar there, and how will you be a rockstar in your next position?
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jschreck wrote: »
    You mean to leave bigger spaces between the sections?
    "Maybe a few lines to segment the sections and to look more appealing."

Sorry, meant actual lines (
    , not dashes though). I just feel it enhances the presentation of the document.
    I had my certs on top of my last resume and both the employment agency as well as job service said to bring it down to the bottom. So whats the consensus on that?

I've never once been advised to put certs/education at the bottom. Everyone here will say to list them at the top and it makes sense; it's the first thing you want a recruiter to see. I think the employment agency has done you a disservice.
    That is the biggest thing, between school and the few spotty jobs I have had, I am not really a expert on anything? I want to get into security, but I don't know enough about one subject to leave it on one subject. I have a year and a half left tell I get my BA on IT Security from Western Governors.

I'm not really an expert on anything either; I emphasise my server-side experience because that's the kind of job I want to attract. I don't mention any desktop work on my resume even though I've done heaps of it.

Keep the security position as a long term goal and work your way up to it. Security guys here should be able to advise on that.

EDIT: Just noticed you have mentioned "IBM compatible..." and "IDE Hard Drives" in your Technical Proficiencies. Kill these as fast as you can. It sounds very Computers 001 circa 1989. Under hardware, elaborate on brand/series, i.e., IBM server xSeries; Dell/HP/IBM laptops, HP/Lexmark enterprise printers, etc. Cisco network gear perhaps?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Gotta agree with mikedisd2 on this one. Every single placement agency i've talked to states to put them at the top. Unless you're working with a 10-20 year work history and your certs aren't terribly recent.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take it with a grain of salt mate, but that's a bad resume to say the least. One look at it and it's destined for the dumpster.

You go on and on about your qualifications and technical proficiencies but dont tell me how used these technologies in your roles. I dont know what you did at your roles. Incorporate what the other have said and go through the recent resume threads. You severely undersell yourself by not writing what you did in all your roles. Heck, I dont even know what you want in your next role. What's an Information Systems Consultant? Going by the way you have written this resume, it seems like a information analyst kind of role you are after?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was hard read for me, but being critical.

Job descriptions? Job titles?

Promotions? Special projects?

Awards?
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was hard read for me, but being critical.

Job descriptions? Job titles?

Promotions? Special projects?

Awards?

I've put education and certs towards top.

Have you looked for example resumes which show the different standards for creating resumes.