SK0-002 vs. SK0-003 (Server+)

NetAdmin84NetAdmin84 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I see that both exams are being offered, 2009 the Server+ edition as well as the 2005 Server+ edition (which is going to be retired at the end of the year Dec 31, 2010).

The breakdown of the exams are as follows:

2005 ed.
80 Questions
90 Minutes
Passing Score is 615
(on a scale of 100-900)
= 72% to Pass

2009 ed.
100 Questions
90 Minutes
Passing Score is 750
(on a scale of 100-900)
= 85% to pass

Considering no matter what edition you take you will still receive the "Life-Time" status certification, wouldn't it make more sense to take the 2005 edition before the end of the year??? Especially considering its less questions, with an easier pass rate?

Just wondering if anyone else had thought about this...:)
Currently reading:

Cisco Press: CCNA Offical Exam Certification Library - Wendell Odom
Sybex: CCNA Study Guide - Todd Lammle
ExamCram: CCNA - Michael Valentine

Currently pursuing:

CCNA - CWNA - MCTS

Comments

• +CNENT++CNENT+ Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually studying for the 2005 exam because of the fact it's less questions, and lower score to pass.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Wouldn't this kind of be self defeating. I realize the cert is still valid if you take either test. I actually sat for this in 2005, and I had the choice between SK0-001 or SK0-002 if i recall. I chose 002 because it was the newest material and I wanted to be as current in my skillset as possible. i know the differences are subtle but maybe its just my OCD on needing the best there is. *shrug*

To answer your question, if it were me, I'd go SK0-003.
  • kevin444kevin444 Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im going to take the more recent test just to be more up to date on current technologies at the time of testing.
    B.S. Information Technology with a concentration in Informaton Security, MTSC C/O 2008
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Wouldn't this kind of be self defeating. I realize the cert is still valid if you take either test. I actually sat for this in 2005, and I had the choice between SK0-001 or SK0-002 if i recall. I chose 002 because it was the newest material and I wanted to be as current in my skillset as possible. i know the differences are subtle but maybe its just my OCD on needing the best there is. *shrug*

To answer your question, if it were me, I'd go SK0-003.

this is a moot point I guess since tomorrow is the 31st, but I would completely agree with paperlantern
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NetAdmin84 wrote: »
    I see that both exams are being offered, 2009 the Server+ edition as well as the 2005 Server+ edition (which is going to be retired at the end of the year Dec 31, 2010).

The breakdown of the exams are as follows:

2005 ed.
    80 Questions
    90 Minutes
    Passing Score is 615
    (on a scale of 100-900)
    = 72% to Pass

2009 ed.
    100 Questions
    90 Minutes
    Passing Score is 750
    (on a scale of 100-900)
    = 85% to pass

Considering no matter what edition you take you will still receive the "Life-Time" status certification, wouldn't it make more sense to take the 2005 edition before the end of the year??? Especially considering its less questions, with an easier pass rate?

Just wondering if anyone else had thought about this...:)

It's actually more like 65% and 81%. Since there is a minimum score of 100 you need to subtract it. And this is only if you don't get any beta questions, and all questions are weighted equally, which there probably will be and they probably aren't, respectively.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    this is a moot point I guess since tomorrow is the 31st, but I would completely agree with paperlantern

I'm trying to understand what the 31st has to do with anything? Server+ will still be "lifetime" regardless. Only A+, Net+ and Sec+ will not be lifetime after tomorrow (which for me will begin in ~ 2 minutes from when I click post.)
  • kevin444kevin444 Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took it and pass it today, just because the site says it expires on the 31st.
    B.S. Information Technology with a concentration in Informaton Security, MTSC C/O 2008
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand what the 31st has to do with anything? Server+ will still be "lifetime" regardless. Only A+, Net+ and Sec+ will not be lifetime after tomorrow (which for me will begin in ~ 2 minutes from when I click post.)

SK0-002/JK0-009 Retirement date: December 31, 2010

See here.

Nothing to do with the lifetime factor or the A+, N+ & S+, just the last day you can sit that version of the exam :)

-ken
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    SK0-002/JK0-009 Retirement date: December 31, 2010

See here.

Nothing to do with the lifetime factor or the A+, N+ & S+, just the last day you can sit that version of the exam :)

-ken

Oh...well, if one was so inclined, he should be taking the latest exam anyhow.
  • PerplePurplePerplePurple Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Conceptually, are the objectives for the Server+ 2005 exam close enough to the 2009 edition that training material for the earlier exam is still applicable to the test? I have access to a fair amount of training material for the SK-002 and am curious to know if it is still valid...